Who ordered a New Defender ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.J.M

Explorer
All the pictures makes me 100% convinced that Silver is the colour for me for my future one.

I’m not able to get one, but I’m glad there are those who can get one and I’ll be watching with great interest how they get on and also how Lucky8 modify their example.

blackangie

All the pictures makes me 100% convinced that Silver is the colour for me for my future one.

I’m not able to get one, but I’m glad there are those who can get one and I’ll be watching with great interest how they get on and also how Lucky8 modify their example.
Im with you on the silver, but with the wrap

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blackangie

Here's the US brochure, shows what will be available later in AU at dealers (upgrades to packs etc)

Disc brake sizes found for 90/110

D5 for comparison

P400 def matches SD6 in disc size but caliper is different. 4 piston on front as opposed to 2
D5View attachment 154989
41979b9ba211860d95c0b99be02e86b9.jpg
d583f8c388e88830307251a6b19faa3a.jpg

e1b0427d13d27c267901ad78b5d47820.jpg
794eb0136f1cb09ff7b61d9ee34fe50e.jpg

4859fc33f9c0bf051669a4eeb9bf0d1f.jpg
4507ddc3db77077e6185a4cf34d0f46c.jpg

Last edited:

DieselRanger

Here's the US brochure, shows what will be available later in AU at dealers (upgrades to packs etc)

Disc brake sizes found for 90/110

D5 for comparison

P400 def matches SD6 in disc size but caliper is different. 4 piston on front as opposed to 2
D5
363mm disc + caliper on the P400 doesn't bode well for an 18" wheel fitment, even with a special casting. 19" is probably just barely squeezing on....

5,000 lb+ vehicle (110) plus the kind of momentum the P400 can generate means it needs large brakes for safe stopping in panic situations.

EDIT: what's the tire size on that DuraTrac in the first pic? Looks like 255/65-20?

That would leave room for a 275/65-19 in a same-size 33" tire, but would give you a half inch more sidewall. A 255/75-19 tire (don't know if any are made, haven't looked yet) would make for an inch more sidewall and a 34" tire. I wonder if that would fit without a lift?

Last edited:

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Feels like JLR has softened their stance on complete electrification of product line. From the September 2019 sales report:

From 2020 all new Jaguar Land Rover vehicles will offer the option of electrification, giving our customers even more choice. We will introduce a portfolio of electrified products across our model range, embracing fully electric, plug-in hybrid and mild hybrid vehicles as well as continuing to offer the latest diesel and gasoline engines.

I wonder if that roof rack was built or licensed by Thule; those cross bars are identical (by looks) to Thule Aerobars. Can't imagine JLR is in the tent and rack business so somebody is building those for them under the JLR license!

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I'm sure the roof rack was from a 'partner'. Safety Devices was a previous supplier. Expect that strategy to expand to many vehicle subsystems as overall architecture becomes modular and entire subassemblies are outsourced. In addition each 'subsystem' will have an ECU managing multiple functions and will have a optical interface to the main control management controller. Envision the entire door assembly supplied pre-built with an ECU that controls window, mirrors, lighting, etc supplied by a 'partner'. The door is supplied JIT to assembly line and mounted by robotics. The miles of wiring are reduced to short high-current cable runs. Total JLR parts count drops significantly. Are these modules repairable? Well that is a different discussion. Will aftermarket products need to incorporate ECU integration and control? Likely.

JLR's 'electrification' initiative is not just moving to electric drive motors. It includes the entire vehicle architecture.

Where the industry is going:

New Tesla Model Y Wiring System Is Revolutionary

"..........This new architecture reduces the number and length of cables and moves certain controllers into subassemblies which then control one or multiple devices present in the vehicle. To achieve power and signal transmission, new cables and connectors have been created and described herein.

In this new wiring architecture, subsystems are packaged and defined in one or multiple assemblies in certain embodiments. For example, a door assembly might contain one controller (or hub) that controls multiple devices, such as locking components, lighting components, audio components, etc. In addition to decreasing the number and length of wiring needed, the ability to create these subassemblies and then connect them to the wiring-architecture backbone will decrease assembly time during general assembly, which is very desirable to increase productivity in a vehicle manufacturing process. The subassembly may be created ahead of general assembly with only the connection between the door subassembly and subsystem made and verified during general assembly.
............."

The "subassemblies" are now commoditized. In addition to BMW partnership, from Bloomberg:

Tata Looks for Jaguar Land Rover Partners, But Rules Out Sale

Last edited:

blackangie

Anyone know if side mounted gear box can be removed after install, want explorer pack but in AU we need to run ladder on right side of vehicle (drivers side AU) if you want to run a gulwing awning on passenger side (AU) due to the rear door opening to the drivers side.

soflorovers

So much room for activities!!
If you look at the hole for the headlight nearest to the photographer, you'll note some disconnected lines and connectors running down to where the bumper would be. Looks like they're going to stuff some coolers or additional equipment behind the front bumper. I believe someone on here already posted information from a JLR engineer confirming that the area behind the front bumper would be filled with coolers and essential equipment like we see on the D5.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
If you look at the hole for the headlight nearest to the photographer, you'll note some disconnected lines and connectors running down to where the bumper would be. Looks like they're going to stuff some coolers or additional equipment behind the front bumper. I believe someone on here already posted information from a JLR engineer confirming that the area behind the front bumper would be filled with coolers and essential equipment like we see on the D5.

Yup, which will change to integrated power bus and communications cable to the ECU housed in the front 'bumper' assembly to manage/control lights, signaling, FLIR/sensors, etc. In effect one cable for all functionality plus any needed plumbing for cooling.

blackangie

Remember lucky8 have seen the engine bay/coolers, said they have been moved higher up into the engine bay area.

They are there but higher and more toward the centre imo, wont be an issue for 4x4. But will take a little longer in cad than the usual tube bars.
AU is getting a factory bullbar/winchbar. Im guessing at the very least that would able to be ordered somehow via 3rd parties and sent around the world in the interim until others come to the party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles