Who ordered a New Defender ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieselRanger

As one article noted, paraphrase - "How do they keep their customers and regulators happy at the same time?".
Unfortunately, first you must make the regulators happy, and then in the space that's left, the customer gets to choose what makes them the least unhappy. In things like emissions and collision safety, regulator is the gatekeeper to the consumer, and those two things are significant drivers in design for the rest of the vehicle.

blackangie

While staying on topic, I want to discuss options. What is everyone's opinion of the flared wheel arch protection? Very LR3-esque, but I unfortunately think it ruins the side profile. The wheels wind up too far sunken into the arches. Thoughts?
I like em, on my spec.

As the guards are so wide they will need protection, most people will up spec their tyres so the guards will be filled.

The raised corners and checker panel protections are also on the list as are the side tubes/sliders
c9441140654e48e1915bf8b60953f072.jpg
e1a83d84830d4b46922752214f467707.jpg
fe111f4ca1fb84b7d8bf234c24370362.jpg
de914aa6cd0ff3d2856a96b90cbda5e4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blackangie

IP67 is a cable and enclosure spec, not a total system spec. While it will help with connectors, the control systems themselves are still industry standard manufacturing. Let's not overstate the effects of IP67.
Are u familiar with the control systems they are using?

"14 Updatable modules with SOTA"

"new Defender also employs advanced consumer technology including high performance Snapdragon processors and advanced QNX operating systems to deliver its connected features"

"The new Land Rover Electrical Vehicle Architecture (EVA 2.0), forward-facing digital camera, advanced ultrasonic sensors and powerful 3Gbit/s onboard network support a comprehensive suite of driver assistance technologies, with the cameras and sensors governed by a single integrated processor, or domain controller."

"To ensure the electrical systems are as rugged and robust as the rest of the vehicle, the Defender is the first new Land Rover vehicle to benefit from enhanced validation testing, the result of a $45m (£37m) investment in new facilities and infrastructure."

Hardly industry standard.

Most dodgy electrics come from environmental impacts, heat, dust, water ingress, dodgy connections.

IP67 is a huge thing towards electrical reliability and something I've not heard of before in a civilian 4x4.

Lets not understate it either

"The electronics and connections in the new Defender have been designed to meet the IP67 water immersion standards. That means they can be submerged in one metre of fresh water for an hour without intrusion or damage."

catmann

So basically the same as the D5 (dual rads left and right), just positioned higher to accommodate external design differences. If the D5 bumper is $3500 AUD ($2500 USD) then the Luxury Defenders bumper will be even higher cost. This could be a train wreck in the making.

I still am not sure where the additional radiators are: I definately read an interview with JLR that stated they were moved up and back from the D5 location specifically because of the likelihood of damage off-road - can't seem to spot them in these photos...

LR_DEF_20MY_Manufacturing 1.jpg

LR_DEF_20MY_Manufacturing 2.jpg

LR4TQ

back to topic...I ordered mine and this is my build https://build.landrover/244B301F but the more I look at the D90 the more exciting that thing looks! According to my rep, for the D110, the First Editions which are prebuilt will be here early 2020 then the rest will trickle in starting Spring2020. The D90, supposedly will be available late summer 2020 which makes me think I should wait and get what I want...

blackangie

I get the extent of IP67 and agree that it could be extended to the enclosure if needed. I guess International Harvester could have classified the 'gold box' ignition module as IP67 back in the 70's. It was a stamped metal enclosure potted with epoxy. Let's call it the 'ECU' !

I always carried a spare 'gold box'.

I'm not anti-technology per se. It can improve the overall system performance and if done right can be SOTA updated. If done wrong you can brick the system. This is a time of significant transformation for the entire auto industry as they move from mechanical to control systems and new powertrains. I read the other day that JLR is downsizing mechanical and heavily investing in IT. The Luxury Defender is an example of that trajectory. Consider it the alpha phase of a long term investment strategy. Personally I think they are leaving their customer base and hoping for new adopters. As one article noted, paraphrase - "How do they keep their customers and regulators happy at the same time?".

Without wanting to go against the mods wishes here and go off subject, quickly.

How many times has your phone been bricked? Mine never has across nearly all the samsungs released.

Updated are tested staged and rolled out.

1 case of a bricked tesla, is 1 case of a bricked tesla.

The new defender is comfortable, its certainly not the definition of luxury, RRvogue autobiography is the definition of luxury. New defender is utilitarian throughout, pretty much the whole interior can be mopped out, washed out or brushed out.

Back to who has ordered and accessories shall we

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
What is the "notch" in the back on the roof? You can see the roof rack extending around it, like a V-shape. Third brake light? Antenna?

blackangie

back to topic...I ordered mine and this is my build https://build.landrover/244B301F but the more I look at the D90 the more exciting that thing looks! According to my rep, for the D110, the First Editions which are prebuilt will be here early 2020 then the rest will trickle in starting Spring2020. The D90, supposedly will be available late summer 2020 which makes me think I should wait and get what I want...
Just had a good look through, nice build!

DieselRanger

If I was ordering one today, this is how I'd spec it:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Lucky8 another question, you are ordering the straight 6 also, can you fit the aftermarket 18s to models with the straight 6 as they can only be specd with 19s from factory.

I have a good feeling that we can fit some custom 18s on the 6
I’m also looking forward to the 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles