Gazelle tents--how do they do in wind and rain?

mkish

Adventurer
I'm looking for a new tent to hold 2 to 4 people and a dog. (They don't all have to fit--this is to supplement a truck camper. ) The Gazelle t4 looks good. The size is right and I really don't want to mess with tent setup. Pop it and stake it is really appealing for overnight stays.

The main complaints I can find online are that the tent does not pack up small, it doesn't breathe great, and the door is funky. I'm okay with all that.

My concern is weather. We get stormed on more often than we should even though we camp during the "nice" seasons. How do these tents fare in heavy wind and/or rain? Any other instant tents worth looking at?

Thanks!

Laps

My brother has the Gazelle and yes it is a quick out of the bag and set up unit.....I have a Kodiak Canvas. Which one would I choose for inclement weather, well I already made my choice. The Gazelle is fine for weekend fair weather camping but I'll take a Kodiak Canvas over it any day or week for serious mountain high altitude or anticipated low country inclement weather worry free camping. I can have the Kodiak up in 10 minutes and will have a restful worry free sleep. Depends on the odds of what you think your chances are for serious inclement weather. Go for a serious tent or a casual convenient tent. Only you can make that decision in the end.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I do not have one, I have an OZ3 but friend has one and on our last trip, while on a hike, the wind came up, pulled the stakes out (in sand) and beat the tent into a tree and poked several holes in the tent. There are several ways to patch holes I am told, tent repair tape is one.
In a very strong wind the sides caved in and did cause some concern to those inside. There is enough room for the two people, their cots and a dog inside though. Another friend has one of the smaller ones and it has the same issues with wind if the sides are not properly guyed out and staked against a possible gust. Got to tie that sucker down, always.

mkish

Adventurer
Thanks. Good to know! I expect to have to guy out anything in windy situations, especially tall tents.

jk6661

Observer
I have one that flew a good 100 ft. in a windstorm because I (foolishly) hadn't staked it down. Also, the roof on mine eventually starts to leak in a downpour that lasts a while, although a good dose of waterproofing spray helps a lot. Despite all that, we're pleased with it overall.

mkish

Adventurer
Flying tent!

Appreciate the review, JK. They are pretty kite-like. (Hmmm.....no. TentKite: bad idea. )

AML

Adventurer
And not surprising, the stakes that come with it are pretty bad. Although most stakes that come with tents usually are. I had to throw away 2 of the stakes after this past outing.

mkish

Adventurer
Haha yeah I don't know about high end tents, but I always think of the stakes that come with a tent as practice pegs to hold it in the backyard lawn when you first do a practice setup. They are always terrible!

F350joe

I have a T4 and love it. A lot of room, VERY airy without the rain fly, it has a mesh ceiling, great for falling asleep looking at stars. The doors are awkward but you get used to it. The bowed out walls make it feel bigger, you can get two cots right up against the sides and still walk around. That said, the other comments are correct. You have to guy it out with any serious wind or it could collapse on you. The one time it was windy when I was in it i just tied the windward side to the truck and was fine. I also have some beefy stakes. It’s so easy that I ditched my truck camper for it. I can have it set up faster than clearing space and making up the bed in the camper and it has more room. You can get walls for the rainfly, the fly it comes with is just a hat. Any blowing rain would certainly find its way in. It’s good practice to waterproof your seams and fabric with any tent. For the money, it’s hard to beat. Any tent needs to be staked down in wind, this one just needs beefier rope.

tdferrero

I have a T3, but the fundamentals remain the same as the T4. Replaced the supplied stakes with some beefier ones, but in the known event of windy weather, tie it to either a tree or nearby vehicle. As mentioned, the doors are a bit wonky but are pretty easy to get used to. The Velcro floor, though, is outrageously convenient when it's time to give it a cleaning. As with any tent, give it a onceover with some waterproofing spray, and you're all set, though the supplied rain cover is more than adequate. Camping in South Carolina, or anywhere in the south, tends to be a bit more wet than elsewhere. All-in-all, definitely a decent buy for the money. The setup time cannot be beat.

Stomper4x4

I have the T3 and have used it in the CA heat in the valley, all the way to winds and snow at 8000 feet on the side of Mt Shasta. So far so good!
The quick setup thing makes folks forget it's still a tent and needs to be staked if the weather is going to be rough. Other than that the construction is really good, with quality materials and the mesh is pretty no see um proof.

I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Wait for the sales though, it's worth it.

g4reno

I have the T3 and have used it in the CA heat in the valley, all the way to winds and snow at 8000 feet on the side of Mt Shasta. So far so good!
The quick setup thing makes folks forget it's still a tent and needs to be staked if the weather is going to be rough. Other than that the construction is really good, with quality materials and the mesh is pretty no see um proof.

I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Wait for the sales though, it's worth it.
Have you used this in serious wind? Sustained 30+ mph with gusts to 50-60? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94