Leentu

czukie

Anyone have any experience with the Leentu UTE camper? Looks like a pretty rad little concept, but very little marketing/info about them out there.

shade

Anyone have any experience with the Leentu UTE camper? Looks like a pretty rad little concept, but very little marketing/info about them out there.
Looks like they radically scaled back their original design to something similar to several other wedge options. Have they shipped any yet?

crazysccrmd

Observer
Looks like they radically scaled back their original design to something similar to several other wedge options. Have they shipped any yet?

Haha, yep. That’s nothing at all like what they were originally trying to stir up interest for.

czukie

I talked to one guy who had with one and mentioned an minor leaking issue with the new design and said it was taken care of by the company immediately. I really like the design (much better than GFC imo) but I can’t find enough info to pull the trigger. Even companies like Snap! Treehouse has warranty issues.

shade

I talked to one guy who had with one and mentioned an minor leaking issue with the new design and said it was taken care of by the company immediately. I really like the design (much better than GFC imo) but I can’t find enough info to pull the trigger. Even companies like Snap! Treehouse has warranty issues.
After looking at the photos & video on their site and comparing it to my GFC, the only significant advantage I see is the open space between the end of the bed platform and rear of the tent. Other than that, I don't see the GFC design giving anything up to the Leentu UTE, but that's through my admittedly biased eyes. Maybe I'm missing something.

czukie

Yeah, obviously to each their own, however my major qualms with GFC are the weather sealing (read: all the doors open lend themselves to more dust and water) and translucent roof. In my opinion, the less openings below the better. Also, Leentu has an option for a fantastic fan, which GFC does not.

Those are the my reasons why it is more appealing to me right now.

MostLy just curious about if any users here have seen in person and can comment on build quality.

shade

Yeah, obviously to each their own, however my major qualms with GFC are the weather sealing (read: all the doors open lend themselves to more dust and water) and translucent roof. In my opinion, the less openings below the better. Also, Leentu has an option for a fantastic fan, which GFC does not.

Those are the my reasons why it is more appealing to me right now.

MostLy just curious about if any users here have seen in person and can comment on build quality.
I can see some of that, except that the GFC door sealing is actually quite good, and the access they provide is an advantage over smaller openings, IMO. If the translucent roof is a concern, adding some vinyl to the inside surface is an easy fix. I don't find it to be a problem.

The main disadvantage to ordering a GFC right now is having to wait until the middle of 2021 for it to be completed. My guess is they're losing a lot of sales due to that delay, but fortunately, there are other good options.

You may want to contact Leentu directly and see why they aren't taking orders at the moment. It could be they're in the middle of refining the design, moving to a new production site, etc. They may also be able to give you a rough idea on wait times so you'll know if you can work that into your plans.

czukie

I contacted them today and apparently a recent supplier backed out on them, they will not be able to ship units for 3-4 months according to them...those signing up for the waitlist have a 5-6 month wait (estimates)

shade

I contacted them today and apparently a recent supplier backed out on them, they will not be able to ship units for 3-4 months according to them...those signing up for the waitlist have a 5-6 month wait (estimates)
Supply problems hit small manufacturers really hard, since they can't always finance buying at higher prices or volumes. That's not too bad, if they can hold to it. How much of a deposit do they require?

For comparison, AT Overland has the Summit available around 12 weeks from the order date, about the same as for the Alu-Cab Canopy Camper. I'm not sure how long it takes Vagabond to ship. Snap's website shows stock on hand. I'd rather wait for what I wanted, but that doesn't always work if you have a big trip scheduled.

You mentioned having a Fantastic Fan installed. If you want to keep leak points to a minimum, you may want to skip a roof mounted fan. From my experience sleeping in a GFC in Phoenix in August, the wedge design does a pretty good job of moving air on its own. I used a 12" fan against a side window when there wasn't any wind, and it wasn't too bad.

shade

Vagabond is 11 months out
I'm not surprised. I know a large deposit is common, but I wouldn't be comfortable floating a 50% or greater loan for a year. I'd try to work out an escrow payment system with the vendor.

If you can make it to one of the big outdoor shows, many of these vendors may be there. Short of visiting the Leentu plant, that may be the best way to see what you're getting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles