Small efficient overlander

oldeskuel

Crosstrek's are nice. What about Forresters or if you don't want the toyota tax a Colorado or Frontier? Did you have a budget in mind? That may help narrow it down.

I like the newer foresters, but not the first gen ones. Not a fan of nissans or amercian built vehs for the most part (I tend to stick with Japanese vehicles, except nissans). I've also been looking at older subaru outback sports.

Last edited:
first gen ML320's had a full time 4x4 system with low range, great engine, awesome trans, 20-25,mpg hwy, torsion lift and spaces fit 33" easy. really comfy and lots of room inside, and suprisingly easy to work on and get parts for. ( ive got a 98)

JKel

first gen ML320's had a full time 4x4 system with low range, great engine, awesome trans, 20-25,mpg hwy, torsion lift and spaces fit 33" easy. really comfy and lots of room inside, and suprisingly easy to work on and get parts for. ( ive got a 98)

I had forgotten about those, and that little low range button on the dashboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
I'm also curious what people think of Outbacks for overland travel.
I'm shopping for one now, and just found a model with what they call "Baja" modifications, done by the dealer in El Cajon. (east county, San Diego)

They added 2" of lift, installed a trailer hitch, taller alloy wheels with BFG/TA tires, and a Thule rack.
I'm going to check it out tomorrow. Should be interesting...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 6.11.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 6.11.58 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 6.35.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 6.35.44 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 77

JKel

I'm shopping for one now, and just found a model with what they call "Baja" modifications, done by the dealer in El Cajon. (east county, San Diego)

They added 2" of lift, installed a trailer hitch, taller alloy wheels with BFG/TA tires, and a Thule rack.

All I know is this, seems like a good package with some mods and some skid protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deeve

Observer

A dealership near me has very similar builds they sell new, presumably with the warranty. The ones I looked at are quite a bit more expensive than buying them and installing yourself, but that's with anything dealer installed. Although, there is something to be said for buying "turn-key".

Morgan Weafer

small, reliable, fuel efficient overlandable vehicles. So, 4wd but no mud tires. And it has to do well on pavement too.

I offer you two platforms, one being my 1981 AMC Eagle. Old school cool with practical four wheel drive and a six cylinder engine. Reasonable cargo and towing capacity. Affordable to maintain given so many parts are shared with Jeep. Many wagons are still lurking on Craigslist for bargain prices.CD5A23AA-545A-41D7-9F54-CBC5D5F3CE64.jpeg

Two being my 2015 Jeep Renegade. Compact with character and a remarkable four wheel drive system. Small yet rather fuel efficient with good road manners. Growing aftermarket support from a variety of manufacturers. Plenty of storage inside and all with modern creature comforts. Early models are decently priced and widely available. I’ve owned mine for the last 3.5 years and have I have enjoyed the experience. Well rounded Jeep that doesn’t get enough credit. 55F9530B-F757-4EDD-BF61-E7CEE6E064AC.jpeg

transalper

Explorer
I had a lot of fun with my Chevy Tacker/Suzuki Grand Vitara. Awesome little truck. 2-speed transfer case. I just wish IMG_20130729_205456_387.jpg

Paddy

Adventurer
Second gen tracker/vitara! Cheap, easy, fuel efficient, durable. They have simple ifs front end and true hi/lo stick shifted 4wd. They have body on frame (unlike rav and Subaru) and live rear axle with 5 link suspension. They are GREAT and best of all they are very affordable. WIll do anything a samurai will with more room, comfort and AC! 30mpg with the 2.0 engine, which is EFI and coil-on-plug ignition.
Also, I can’t stand FWD. these are proper RWD cars with longitudinal engines. Only weak point is the aluminum front axle housing, but with some effort you can source (or just buy) the steel housing and swap in. I bought this one with 135k for $1100 and been loving it ever since. I traded down a 2012 Tacoma for it.

Attachments

• AE4E82A6-9C1B-41A3-9945-D915EA41C2AD.jpeg
    AE4E82A6-9C1B-41A3-9945-D915EA41C2AD.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Paddy

Adventurer
I’ve had two friends CURSE their crosstreks and trade them in. Biggest complaint, cramped lack of room Andy lethargic power.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Second gen tracker/vitara! Cheap, easy, fuel efficient, durable. They have simple ifs front end and true hi/lo stick shifted 4wd. They have body on frame (unlike rav and Subaru) and live rear axle with 5 link suspension. They are GREAT and best of all they are very affordable. WIll do anything a samurai will with more room, comfort and AC! 30mpg with the 2.0 engine, which is EFI and coil-on-plug ignition.
Also, I can’t stand FWD. these are proper RWD cars with longitudinal engines. Only weak point is the aluminum front axle housing, but with some effort you can source (or just buy) the steel housing and swap in. I bought this one with 135k for $1100 and been loving it ever since. I traded down a 2012 Tacoma for it.
Good job. They are boxy and roomy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles