Who ordered a New Defender ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
There is a video on the Fireside Chat forum titled Tesla Towing Fail. The guys using a Tesla to tow were looking for a supercharger and found one. While waiting there is a short interview with a guy at one of the charging stations who decided to update his software while waiting for the supercharger to complete.

SOTA apparently bricked his car.

blackangie

The factory bull bars are virtually useless other than leaning on them and will actually transfer impact to the hood and fenders.
50mm tube can usually take the weight of the vehicle on sliders, tube front/rear bars.

They are designed for light off-road impacts not high speed vehicle or animal impacts onroad
d143be20aeb603d09b226feccfa15575.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DieselRanger

For the automotive industry SOTA is already here, along with all the warts.

A JLR deep dive is warranted.
Three words: testing, testing, and testing.

Infotainment is generally the top item that gets updates on modern vehicles. Tesla excepted, but their customer base tolerates being treated like they're app beta testers anyway - it's a "feature" of ownership. Drivers of "conventional" brands like JLR, Porsche, MB - not so much. For infotainment, I say SOTA that bad boy overnight in my garage and give me a way to manually revert via a "safe mode" boot option if it doesn't take. For critical vehicle systems like engine management, emissions, or transmission / diff programming, I expect a notification that an update is ready, and an option to schedule it for when you know you can call JLR for help should they bork something.

Given the rigors of testing already at the vehicle level (7 million km of testing on the Defender, something like 20m km on the Disco) - add in other models like the I-Pace that already supports SOTA - and I think they have what it takes to ensure minimal issues - Agile development practices are widespread and robust enough to be well suited to vehicle system software development.

A.J.M

Explorer
I’ve ordered the Lego version if that counts?

Will arrive on Friday.

Would love a real one, silver hse with explorer pack and some options would be ideal but I can’t afford one and with a house purchase next year. My money is going to that.

I’ll pick up one used in a few years.

soflorovers

I’ve ordered the Lego version if that counts?

Will arrive on Friday.

Would love a real one, silver hse with explorer pack and some options would be ideal but I can’t afford one and with a house purchase next year. My money is going to that.

I’ll pick up one used in a few years.
I actually like the new Defender, but I'm kinda in the same boat as you. Gotta buy a ring soon...:cool:

However, I may or may not have already inadvertently bought an LR3 2 weeks ago instead. It's not a Defender, but with dual lockers, 35's and armor. It's my budget "Defender" for 10% of the cost. Now to address all the items that need fixing!

A.J.M

Explorer
I actually like the new Defender, but I'm kinda in the same boat as you. Gotta buy a ring soon...:cool:

However, I may or may not have already inadvertently bought an LR3 2 weeks ago instead. It's not a Defender, but with dual lockers, 35's and armor. It's my budget "Defender" for 10% of the cost. Now to address all the items that need fixing!

Yeah, she’s hinted at a ring as well.
Only after a few wines but the message is there..

If she wants a ring, we are getting a house where I can build the garage I want.
It only has to take 3 cars in it....

99Discovery

Adventurer
I'm curious if @Fivespddisco can find a way to trim those wheel wells to accept 35"s, with the posted wheelbase, it's too small for 32"s for the type of terrain I encounter. After personally piloting a stock JKU rubicon across it's belly through the actual Rubicon Trail and talking to folks who have dared take LR3s on Golden Spike, it's the breakover angle that's the killer for western trails. Not approach, and not departure (the departure on the disco 2 sucks, for example, but the 100" wheelbase is spot on awesome).

If the aftermarket can't figure out how to fit 35"s, then I'll probably be favoring the 2-door (when released) in Explorer Pac, 18" rims and onboard air. The 110 would be preferred (with 35s), but the 130 without a truck bed is pointless for my uses.

I'd also like to see if the 2.0 or the V6 have the intercoolers in front of the wings. The 6-liter straight six diesel they assembled in the promo video showed NO radiators in front of the wheels. If we can have similar clearance in NAS spec Defenders, this is going to go down as a very good off-road overland rig. If not, it's going to be in the upper average echolon, IMO, and perform below it's ultimate potential.

I'm interested in seeing what you guys do with the platform, I'm at least 3-5 years out from another rig.

soflorovers

Haven't snapped any CVs? Gearing OK?
I haven't taken it on serious trails yet, seeing as I only bought it 2 weeks ago. Previous owner told me the rear CVs do need changing, but they have yet to fail. I intend to swap out the entire rear axles on both ends. Perhaps it helps that the truck has the HD pack and those rear axles are beefier to help with the rear locker. Gearing is "adequate". The truck struggles to cruise at 70 in 6th and prefers to downshift into 5th. Unfortunately, 6th gear is much better suited to 60-65mph. If I lock it in 6th using the manual override, I have to be foot flat (not using the kickdown button at the bottom of the pedal travel) to even hold 70mph. If I want to exceed 65, I just go for 5th. I'm not sure how much of this is re-gearing due to the 35's and how much of it is the massive parachute on the roof in the form of a roof rack and a full size 35' mud tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles