did I forget any "must have" option? Midwest 2020 custom F350 gasser.

LosAngeles

Did I forget any "must have option"? Midwest 2020 custom F350 gasser.

Hi all

About to pull the trigger - and call my awesome car broker, and custom order a 2020 Ford F-350 6.2L gasser

We live in the Midwest but will travel around - camping 4 seasons.

It will always have a pop up camper in it.
We will never tow. We hate towing.

-> * * * * * 3 THINGS WE ARE UNSURE ABOUT: ~~~~ advice? ~~~~

Windshield Wiper De-icer (includes Rain-Sensing Windshield 
Wipers (60W) and Heated Steering Wheel – optional on 
Lariat; (cost is to be determined)

Unsure if we want heated rear seats ($300 list price) for our kid.

Unsure if we want the Ford (approx $325) Wheel Well Liner - Front/Rear or save a few bucks and put in 3rd party ones. Tempted to get the Ford and just be done with it.

- - - - - - - > STUFF WE ARE SURE ABOUT:

8’ box (the longest possible) for our forthcoming pop up truck camper that will always be in the bed.

6.2L V8 gasser

Single Rear Wheel (SRW)

4x4 (four wheel drive)

Rear Axle Ratio: 4.30 with Electronic Locking

11,4000 GVWR Package

(this GVWR means the tires change to LT275/70Rx18E BSW A/T, 4x4 Tires)

Yes we want to get the Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision Warning with Brake Support. (may be included in 2020 Lariat)

Camper Package (for sure, as we are getting a camper)

176” wheelbase (the longest possible)

10 speed transmission (new)

Lariat.

Crew cab (5 seater, with front center console)

Interior Black leather seats,
unsure about what other interior colors (trim, dashboard, etc) will be available.

Sync 3 (I believe this will be included in the Lariat)

Skid plates a la carte (not the FX4 package as the FX4 shocks are lousy) ($100)

Definitely want to include the Lariat VALUE PACKAGE (about $700) to get: “easy entry/exit memory driver’s seat, ….. power-adjustable pedals with memory, power heated/cooled driver and passenger seats with driver’s side memory, PowerScope® trailer tow mirrors with memory, and Remote Start System.”
Hoping this list of gear in this package stays about the same for 2020.

Power Equipment Group - should be included in 2020. We’ll need to double check. :)

we want the Alternator - “Extra Extra Heavy-Duty” (approx $85)

we want the Engine Block Heater (about $100)

we do want the (2nd) Medium Duty Battery (about $210) - this adds a 2nd battery.

We do want the "Skid Plates - Transfer Case and Fuel Tank” (about $100) but NOT the cheesy FX4 package. (those shocks are lousy)

PowerScope® Telescoping Trailer Tow Mirrors are supposedly included. We want these for sure.

Tires included are: LT275/70Rx18E BSW A/T

Black Leather interior. (40/console/40 split bench seat)

We want the “Universal Garage Door Opener” ($125, or $225 - unclear)

We want the “Upfitter switches” ($165)

We want Carpet Delete ($50)
(and I will get 3rd party Husky rubber mats myself)

we want Audible Lane Departure Warning – I believe it is standard for 2020 on Lariat.

I want to ADD (order) the Remote Start System to Lariat (if it is not stock)

GET the 360 degree camera system -
as a part of the ULTIMATE TRAILER TOW CAMERA SYSTEM. $646 COST, $710 retail.

we want the Quad-Beam LED Headlamps/Taillamps $1,180 list price.

thanks for any thoughts and tips for good custom options to get or consider.

Halligan

Adventurer
I'd add all three items you listed. The heated steering wheel is nice to have and let the kid have some heat for his butt. Wheel well liners are a good investment and they may as well be factory. Just curious, why not the 7.3 gasser over the 6.2?

Last edited:

LosAngeles

I'd add all three items you listed. The heated steering wheel is nice to have and let the kid have some heat for his butt. Wheel well liners are a good investment and they mine as well be factory. Just curious, why not the 7.3 gasser over the 6.2?

Thanks... and....
so a little digging on the internets…. i found that the current
6.2L V8 produces 385 HP and 430 lb.-ft. of torque,

and the new 7.3L V8 produces 430 HP and 475 lb.-ft. of torque,
according to #’s just released by Ford, according to this (and a few other) websites.

So for us, I’d rather save the approx $2,000, and also get a tried and true engine. Not drastically less power than the 7.3. Yes I know the torque band will be different on the 7.3.... hoping the new 10 speed transmission will be a good match to the 6.2 with a 4.3 rear end.

and... I am hoping that I can actually GET this tried and true 6.2L gasser and the new 10 speed transmission. What I have been able to find out, so far, makes me think I will be able to. :)

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in to indicate that the 6.2 L gasser will have enough HP and torque to easily move our 2,500 pop up truck camper (+ us and our stuff) up mountains, etc.

LosAngeles

Is this not the same topic?

Nope - that was me asking about 9 specific options.... i gleaned tons of great info thanks to the kind people here.

this new thread is "I have decided on everything, did I forget anything?" before i write a giant check and order my 1st truck. :)

CFMGarage

I personally think you will be missing out on the new engine tech in the 7.3. Nit picking $2k on an already expensive truck ($70k?) doesn't make sense when there may be many variables that could pay that cost back. Ford seems to have designed a great engine meant to fill a gap the 6.2 doesn't fill. I think your giant check will come with giant regret when you find out how good the new engine is.

I think this is the engine Ford almost got to with the V-10. The tech just wasn't there yet for MPG in the V-10. This 7.3 looks like it will run on shed gas and unless you are working it hard I see good unloaded mileage for big v-8. I bet it'll come out better than the 6.2 in the long run.

The new dyno charts show the 7.3 making more torque at 1500 RPM than the 6.2 makes anywhere in the power band. Your confidence in the 6.2 should extend to excitement about this new 7.3. The same team of engineers created both engines. If you respect the overall quality of Ford engines like I do then it's worth a thought.

If anything, it would be in your best interest to wait a little longer to see more data about the new engine before opening your large checkbook. I wouldn't want that little regret nagging me in the back of my mind whenever I drive my custom ordered dream truck.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I personally think you will be missing out on the new engine tech in the 7.3. Nit picking $2k on an already expensive truck ($70k?) doesn't make sense when there may be many variables that could pay that cost back. Ford seems to have designed a great engine meant to fill a gap the 6.2 doesn't fill. I think your giant check will come with giant regret when you find out how good the new engine is.

I think this is the engine Ford almost got to with the V-10. The tech just wasn't there yet for MPG in the V-10. This 7.3 looks like it will run on shed gas and unless you are working it hard I see good unloaded mileage for big v-8. I bet it'll come out better than the 6.2 in the long run.

The new dyno charts show the 7.3 making more torque at 1500 RPM than the 6.2 makes anywhere in the power band. Your confidence in the 6.2 should extend to excitement about this new 7.3. The same team of engineers created both engines. If you respect the overall quality of Ford engines like I do then it's worth a thought.

If anything, it would be in your best interest to wait a little longer to see more data about the new engine before opening your large checkbook. I wouldn't want that little regret nagging me in the back of my mind whenever I drive my custom ordered dream truck.
Correct me if I am wrong but, I believe the 6.2L will still come with the 6 speed transmission for now where the 7.3L will come with the 10 speed. So, I thinking there probabaly won't even be a big mileage hit with the 7.3L. Maybe I am missing something?
Capture.PNG

jadmt

ignore button user
I am going to say it so don't take it personal but at this point in the game you are crazy not to wait and pony up for the 7.3L. they could offer me a deep discount on a 6.2L right now and I would still wait.

LosAngeles

Thanks for your thoughts CFMGarage and jadmt

it will be nice for anyone to have the choice of the 6.2L gasser and the 7.3L gasser in the 2020.

As my load will only be about 2,500 lbs... max 3,000 lbs.

...many many people with F350's with 6 speed and 6.2L with the 4.3 rear end have said that they had plenty of power, same truck, same engine.... hauling more, even in the mountains.
;)
and also many, many people have encouraged me to avoid the first year of any engine.

Including my very trusted mechanic - 3rd generation mechanic.

far fewer have encouraged me to go for the new engine.

Unless I am unable to get the 6.2L, I'll go for the 6.2L. But thanks for your thoughts.

I just dont see the 7.3L engine substantially improving my quality of life.
;)

jadmt

ignore button user
I think you will find 3000lb affects a 6.2L more than you realize. That is a lot of truck already and add another 3000lb.

LosAngeles

and that is why I'm getting an F350.... with a GVWR of 11,400..... many people with basically identical pop up campers have reported "my 6.2L gasser F350 drives like the camper isn't even there" ....

so unless those people, with the same truck, same 6.2 gasser, and basically the same camper are lying to me..... ?

:unsure:

I think you will find 3000lb affects a 6.2L more than you realize. That is a lot of truck already and add another 3000lb.

Wallygator

Adventurer
and that is why I'm getting an F350.... with a GVWR of 11,400..... many people with basically identical pop up campers have reported "my 6.2L gasser F350 drives like the camper isn't even there" ....

so unless those people, with the same truck, same 6.2 gasser, and basically the same camper are lying to me..... ?

:unsure:

I would say it is definitely worth it to hold off and test drive both motors but it is your money and this is only a suggestion. Again, look forward to what you choose and how you build it.

CodyY

Explorer
I know more than a few "trusted mechanics" that are idiots. Especially independent shop guys that don't know anything about what hasn't been released by the manufacturers.

You will regret the 6.2 over the 7.3 (just like 5 of us told you in the other thread).

40hp and 40 lbft cannot be faked. A 6.2 would take more than 2k in mods to hit those numbers.

And I have a 6.8 v10 in mine

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles