2020 Ford Transit AWD

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Don’t mean to sound like a negative Nancy, but have any of you guys (other than Chris) drove a Transit before?

The A/C suuuucks. We drive the Transits at work and none of them have cold AC’s.

I rented a U-Haul For Transit to move in Boston in July at 105F (I have a picture somewhere).

I did not notice any issue with the A/C.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
My van in hot or cold weather is GREAT. With just the vehicle heat/air it stays at a perfect temperature when driving and stays at that temp for a while when I stop.

b dkw1

Observer
The AC in our work van takes a little while to catch up when you first get in it. After it cools down it works quite well. We are contemplating a blanket behind the seats. A partition wall is a no go.

sg1

Adventurer
I am really curious to see what you build on it. I will be in the market next year for a van or a small rv (max 20ft or 6.1m) which can safely seat 4. A chassis with a box just has more usable space with the same footprint.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I am really curious to see what you build on it. I will be in the market next year for a van or a small rv (max 20ft or 6.1m) which can safely seat 4. A chassis with a box just has more usable space with the same footprint.

We are trying a couple new things with this one.... Stay tuned!

There are several benefits going that route instead of a boxed van:
1. WAY easier to outfit as the walls are not curved!
2. Already insulated (roughly R15-20)
3. No thermal transfer (condensation)
4. More interior space
5. Box can be transfered on other chassis if needed.
6. Interior of camper can be a 100% custom layout. You are not limited to the sliding door and window placement.

With this one we like to show how universal a Transit can be in reference to other chassis brands.

1. You have the option of diesel or Gas (we got the gas engine with single rear wheels))
2. You can choose between RWD, factory AWD or Quigley 4x4
3. Flat frame that doesn't need a subframe! (saves weight and cost)
4. Very good Ford dealer network in North America
5. Unbelievable amount of option!

Cheers

sg1

Adventurer
We are trying a couple new things with this one.... Stay tuned!

There are several benefits going that route instead of a boxed van:
1. WAY easier to outfit as the walls are not curved!
2. Already insulated (roughly R15-20)
3. No thermal transfer (condensation)
4. More interior space
5. Box can be transfered on other chassis if needed.
6. Interior of camper can be a 100% custom layout. You are not limited to the sliding door and window placement.

With this one we like to show how universal a Transit can be in reference to other chassis brands.

1. You have the option of diesel or Gas (we got the gas engine with single rear wheels))
2. You can choose between RWD, factory AWD or Quigley 4x4
3. Flat frame that doesn't need a subframe! (saves weight and cost)
4. Very good Ford dealer network in North America
5. Unbelievable amount of option!

Cheers
I am familiar with the advantages of a box. I owned a Transit AWD with a Ormocar custom box for 8 years. The problem is to have a comfortable 2nd row of seats with 3 point seat belts which is comfortable for the passengers.

Victorian

I am familiar with the advantages of a box. I owned a Transit AWD with a Ormocar custom box for 8 years. The problem is to have a comfortable 2nd row of seats with 3 point seat belts which is comfortable for the passengers.

Agreed. That's certainly a challenge. Thank goodness we are in North America and don't have to deal with the German Tuev :) . We are going to install a bench seat (either Mercedes or Ford) with built in seat belts. Our floor panels have a very solid internal structure that will allow us to securly fasten those. Considering how regular RV's are constructed, I anticepate our camper to be way more crash resistent.
Cheers,

mobydick 11

Well my wife will tell you the biggest advantage is, the passenger can get up and go pee every half hour without making the driver crazy .I know this is not legal but when you got a go you got a go. And the dog likes a walk through better as well. more sleeping options for her .

Victorian

Well my wife will tell you the biggest advantage is, the passenger can get up and go pee every half hour without making the driver crazy .I know this is not legal but when you got a go you got a go. And the dog likes a walk through better as well. more sleeping options for her .
Oh yes I hear you! That is the reason we opted for a cut away model.

sg1

Adventurer
Oh yes I hear you! That is the reason we opted for a cut away model.
I haven´t decided yet whether to convert a van or to use a composit box. I am open for both options. I will decide in June or July 2020 when more info on the Transit AWD is available.

shirk

Agreed. That's certainly a challenge. Thank goodness we are in North America and don't have to deal with the German Tuev :) . We are going to install a bench seat (either Mercedes or Ford) with built in seat belts. Our floor panels have a very solid internal structure that will allow us to securly fasten those. Considering how regular RV's are constructed, I anticepate our camper to be way more crash resistent.
Cheers,

Are your floor panels tested and certified for the seat install?

Victorian

Are your floor panels tested and certified for the seat install?

To our knowledge, testing just the floor panel for seat mounting is not an option. You can only test a "complete vehicle" by going through crash testing and serious engineering exercises. No idea how regular RV's pass that test... but our budged doesn't allow for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz