2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
By that argument, a Ferrari is like a Raptor is like a Volvo is like a Kia, is like a modern double-decker bus.
Surely, you are not trying to argue such nonsense?............

Realize that LR is competing at a much lower price point than a Ferrari. Potential buyers are sub-$100K and in reality the volume is sub-$65K. As already highlighted in this thread the competition is Jeep and the upcoming Bronco. For the emerging D5 segment it is what was the VW Touareg and somewhere in the Porsche Macan/Cayenne area. I'm guessing as the D5 direction hasn't fully emerged. Remember, "new" D5 owners think it is a great vehicle. The challenge for LR is to increase those new customers while the "old" customers migrate to the Luxury Defender. I am being serious when my wife sat in the D5 and said it was really no different than a KIA. That was a design choice by LR.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Realize that LR is competing at a much lower price point than a Ferrari. Potential buyers are sub-$100K and in reality the volume is sub-$65K. As already highlighted in this thread the competition is Jeep and the upcoming Bronco. For the emerging D5 segment it is what was the VW Touareg and somewhere in the Porsche Macan/Cayenne area. I'm guessing as the D5 direction hasn't fully emerged. Remember, "new" D5 owners think it is a great vehicle. The challenge for LR is to increase those new customers while the "old" customers migrate to the Luxury Defender. I am being serious when my wife sat in the D5 and said it was really no different than a KIA. That was a design choice by LR.

I also mentioned KIA and double decker busses to get some breadth into the comparison. The argument was that because cpus and computer displays (that's the only tech cared about, apparently) are everywhere, everything is the same. There is no difference. Hence me mentioning expensive sports cars, modern double decker busses and KIAs. And also the reason why I mentioned that tech (not solely CPUs) actually has a purpose.

naks

Ford engine and transmission is what saved lr3 and lr4 from going bankrupt. And the only reason they last over 200k miles,
Bmw engine was disaster.
Absolute hogwash!

The best engine ever fitted to the Defender was the BMW 2.8i, although only available in South Africa.

Most of them are still running around, and fetch ridiculous prices.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

REDROVER

Explorer
Jaguar was owned by ford,
V8 Aston, v8 jaguar, v8 Land Rover, all came with ford engines, and that’s why those years are the most reliable in Land Rover lineup.

REDROVER

Explorer
If you think it’s not gonna be real, go check 9 year old Land Rover prices compared to when they sold new ;)
80 to 90% drop
Start saving it’s gonna happen.
But then again who wants a fake vehicle ??

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
If you think it’s not gonna be real, go check 9 year old Land Rover prices compared to when they sold new ;)
80 to 90% drop
Start saving it’s gonna happen.
But then again who wants a fake vehicle ??
You think it will be 9 years before the iPhone 13? You realise Apple is already on number 11. You think it will last 4.5 years before they release the next model, and then another 4.5 years before the next one after that?

Oh, and Btw, I can't find a 9 year old Defender that has lost 80 (or as you first proclaimed) 90 percent of its original value. If it's that easy, post a few links to that 90 % value drop.

catmann

It was/is a JAGUAR v8. Not in ANY way related to the 4.6 used in the crown vic.
RedRover is probably referring to old Discovery push-rod engine, not the LR3/LR4. Here is an interesting look at the engines used in production for the most years. The Disco push-rod beast was used for 37 years, but is not even close to the winner!

5-land-rover-discovery_land_rover.jpg

Here is some "tech" - LR is working on "remote control" for the Defender

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
RedRover is probably referring to old Discovery push-rod engine, not the LR3/LR4. Here is an interesting look at the engines used in production for the most years. The Disco push-rod beast was used for 37 years, but is not even close to the winner!

5-land-rover-discovery_land_rover.jpg

Here is some "tech" - LR is working on "remote control" for the Defender

Hehe, although not likely to actually happen, I have often thought about how to best approach winching yourself (solo) out of something. A remote control winch can obviously work, but sometimes, it is better to have a spotter. And if you're solo, you're the only one to do that job, but you can't drive at the same time. I tend to go in and out the car quite often when I do it myself.

I'm not sure I'd opt for this, even if available, though. It will probably be ridiculously expensive and only useful (to me) when I'm alone and in very specific circumstances.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Actually $55K RRC's could be had for $1K several years ago. Now they are collectors items and back up to $5K to $50K.

That could be said for many vehicles, to include Jeep.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Still isn't 9 year old Defenders for a tenth of the original price as claimed by RedRover. And that is after he first claimed it would be a tenth when the iPhone 13 comes out - which will be way before 9 years - more like two years, since the iPhone 11 is out and the 12 is slated to come out in 2020.

And somehow he also claim that the Defender is a "fake vehicle".
I am still waiting for him to link to 9 year old Defenders (but actually Defenders only 2 or 3 years according to his first claim) that sell at a tenth of the original price.

REDROVER

Explorer
Haha
I speak for myself, this new Land Rover is fake defender.
unibody SUV? Haha what’s the difference between HONDA CRV and the new Land Rover ?
They both have same technology, same train management, same independent suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94