Northbound Tundra, building a 5 speed manual transmission swapped 2001 Toyota Tundra with 2uzfe 4.7 liter engine into an overland adventure vehicle

I don't yet, it's still in process. I still need axles, wheel bearing seals, and a gear install kit before I am ready to toss it all together. I will put something together soonish.

Sean

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Well definitely let me know when it’s done. Are you using the factory ADD system now?

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I have the ECU set in Park mode right now. It lets it start but I’m waiting to get my driveline finished this week so I haven’t gotten to drive it yet to see what codes might come up when it starts moving.

Why not in N? It will start in N as well. Probably less likely to throw codes in N. Either way looking forward to the info as it comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are some pictures of getting the transmission ready for installation.

Stock r150f out of a 1998 Tacoma:
4E12089B-338E-418C-9EAD-6864C469578B.jpeg

Bellhousing removed:
E7A54022-6C28-4ACB-8EC4-6556FD479391.jpeg

Ready for the adapter plate:

1FA59704-580B-4326-888E-10A9F2E8ADB2.jpeg

Adding some RTV gasket so the adapter plate can seal it off:
6AB0CEF2-7DB0-450A-A265-47BAD97F1FD9.jpeg

Comparing the adapter plate to the factory plate:
DE6996E0-29BD-4006-B441-429BC45EEE5E.jpeg
Adapter plate installed and ready for the a340f bellhousing:
3D071B0F-B4E6-4A63-B94B-D38329C3FBD0.jpeg

Ol’ George lifted up to remove the busted a340f transmission:
F969CB1B-63A8-40A3-AB95-2281F5604663.jpeg

A340f is out!
6E40E6A8-0136-48D3-8D69-C2C9BD1987E7.jpeg

The a340f bellhousing before getting transferred to the r150f:
7065BAA0-5B17-40DE-A57B-DE8F8A5CA8AD.jpeg

All of the old parts from the r150f that will not be reused:
420ACEBD-DB52-4801-98CE-11F105E89B4B.jpeg

Why not in N? It will start in N as well. Probably less likely to throw codes in N. Either way looking forward to the info as it comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have a good point. It just as easy either way so I will see if it makes a difference. So far the only code is from the 4wd ADD system, which I need to get dialed in to make everything operate like factory. If anyone here is familiar with how to make this work smoothly it would definitely help to find out. I’m about to start looking through threads to find out what people who did the j shift swap have done to make this work.

Watt maker

Here are some pictures of getting the transmission ready for installation.

Stock r150f out of a 1998 Tacoma:
View attachment 539611

Bellhousing removed:
View attachment 539608

Ready for the adapter plate:

View attachment 539609

Adding some RTV gasket so the adapter plate can seal it off:
View attachment 539616

Comparing the adapter plate to the factory plate:
View attachment 539615
Adapter plate installed and ready for the a340f bellhousing:
View attachment 539612

Ol’ George lifted up to remove the busted a340f transmission:
View attachment 539610

A340f is out!
View attachment 539613

The a340f bellhousing before getting transferred to the r150f:
View attachment 539614

All of the old parts from the r150f that will not be reused:
View attachment 539617

I just found this thread and it definitely sparks my interest as I may be searching for something else to build soon-ish. How does the 4.7 feel with the manual trans?

As far as the ADD, I think I'd try to make it operate off a separate switch so I could use the transfer cases LO as a 2wd Low as well.

smokeysevin

Observer
I just found this thread and it definitely sparks my interest as I may be searching for something else to build soon-ish. How does the 4.7 feel with the manual trans?

As far as the ADD, I think I'd try to make it operate off a separate switch so I could use the transfer cases LO as a 2wd Low as well.
Best part of manual hubs and shifter is the 2lo option.

Sean

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

I just picked up my modified driveline yesterday so I haven't gotten a chance to fully appreciate it yet. A kill switch for the ADD would be nice but my goal is to have it work as if it were factory. After that I think I might add a switch so I could have 2wd low, but I don't see much of a need for that.

@northboundtundra. I've been following along on Instagram. Good stuff here. I never heard if you determined why the original transmission failed. Was it the infamous planetary gear known to fail on early 1st gens?
That's sweet that you've been following the instagram account. Definitely more of a background there. I'm not exactly sure what failed but the output shaft was burned and a groove was worn in the center of the splines that go inside of the torque converter. Nothing would spin freely. I'm thinking about taking it apart just to see how they go together.

What’s the strength comparison between the manual swap vs stock transmission? Always been a dream to have a 5 speed again (now that I did a VB upgrade...)
Did you have a v6 manual 4wd tundra to start with? If you still have the manual transmission and t case you should be able to put them back in. I'm curious what you had to do to install the v8..
As far as strength goes, they both share the same transfer case and I believe the stock r150 is good for about 500-600 hp before any internal modifications need to be made. There is a lot of information about people swaping them into Supras and racing them.

Always has a V8. Just upgraded the valve body. Just pondering since I just spent the money on a valve body upgrade for crisper shifts.

How did the valve body job turn out? I wouldn’t mind getting into the engine soon to start sprucing things up. I really this truck setup so I plan on keeping it for a while.

I just got the driveline installed today so I hope to have a road test report sometime next weekend. Once you have everything you need together the job actually goes pretty smooth. Now that I’ve uncovered most of the odds and ends that come up I think I can build a list of everything needed to do it to help people out who prefer manual transmissions.

So far the cost is about what it would have cost me to replace the automatic but I have the luxury of a fully equipped shop to work in and help from an expert custom car builder. It’s taken a long time for me to do this but once I got everything together I’ve spent two 6 hour days with a friend getting everything swapped out.

Super happy with the VB. 1st to 2nd was super sloppy and delayed especially under WOT. Everything nice tight and crisp now. Would do long tubes if I didn’t live in CA those make a huge difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles