Mr heater buddy heaters in tents overnight

roving1

Noobs lift their trucks and each lift thread doesn't have 90 percent of the posts saying OMG your handling will change and your c/g is different and here is what you should do instead. I must have read 20 forum threads on Mr Buddy heater that were just like this one. The noob argument is a facile one. Pointing out the risks is not the same as unfounded hysteria either.

perterra

Adventurer
Noobs lift their trucks and each lift thread doesn't have 90 percent of the posts saying OMG your handling will change and your c/g is different and here is what you should do instead. I must have read 20 forum threads on Mr Buddy heater that were just like this one. The noob argument is a facile one. Pointing out the risks is not the same as unfounded hysteria either.

I would almost agree with you. My thoughts are in all things safety you really have to talk to the lowest level if you dont know who you are talking to. And my only caveat is I have seen some real dumb asses over the last few years.

MattJ

Adventurer
I have a Mr Buddy heater (whatever the big one is called) Hooked to a 20 LB bottle. I use in a RTT with an annex room. In just the tent it is way overkill and and the roof needs to be shielded due to the heat output even on low. In the annex it works much better and the heat flows up to the tent well even with no fan.

I am assembling a portable Propex system to use with my Tepui roof top tent and annex in the snow next week. I was assuming I should pump the warm air into to the annex at the bottom, and use an intake extension hose to pull colder air out of the tent on top, circulating it back down to the heater. Between the annex and tent, near the ladder, I was planning to clip a small USB fan to help circulate the warm air upwards through the tent door at the top of the ladder. However, the dealer that sold me the Propex kit told me to do it the other way: send warm air into the tent on top and pull colder air out from the annex at the bottom. Anyone with actual experience on this topic have some advice for me? I'll probably try it both ways since I am planning to spend several days testing several heating options, but I am curious on this issue in particular! Thanks!

y4mJcCz7XxCucR_yinakRIpTbQb6c4dB-F0CFfIqRMnLnU3QolGcfrugoruaQ-1SixZWBzcx50Q1BBbN0aZxc5X2bK46XyR38Zz_DY5SvNeseDz_LIzzZqMnEZ79JJaYtsEvE9c-4EVqo0dtohjQyU81CH-TLshuGfE3Q6FG-3ma3eCZhBpJ4uAIzLv3urjY9lveBkW6XX8IuCjNe3OTnDxBA

y4m3DZ76BzNy2RQhQ5OyJymvJZDXYMh8Sx0Pipvp4cPbkHlj7TJvYlUxlaBba41cSQbBS29NQlBBLwuPFWZzQzG32LXT9HEo-eAAErLevv5udYbGjTxiWDOBYgsYHH07gazrkhDgVvDBZGhMW6CZQx5NCnEe_uWoyzLOdN-Lvac1oilUzM6CXzUg7W7c_OBJzw2yGh1qkJYS9mVPD6ihzOD4A

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I would agree with whay the dealer stated...
Hot air rises up and cold air sinks to the bottom...
I think the fan is not needed, but it might be good to help regulate the temp inside the tent...

MattJ

Adventurer
OK - so I should pump the warm air into the top tent and pull cooler air out the bottom, and maybe use a USB fan to blow air downward from the tent into the annex below? I’m building extended insulated hoses for both the output and intake, but will have to test and see how far they reach (depending on where I place the Propex unit).

dlh62c

Explorer
Your biggest concern is something coming in contact with the burner while it's lit. Like a sleeping bag or clothes. You might try placeing it up on a pedestal of some sort.

ArkansasDon

Observer
Your biggest concern is something coming in contact with the burner while it's lit. Like a sleeping bag or clothes. You might try placeing it up on a pedestal of some sort.

I agree with the statement "concern is something coming in contact with the burner while it's lit. Like a sleeping bag or clothes." That's a risk I wouldn't even consider. I end up purchasing Propex H2000 heater for my RTT & trailer. I figure my wife & my lives are worth more than 80.00 heater.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
No pics... but camped out in AZ 22ºF used the Propex Heater to heat up the RTT & rig (for the pooches)...
Everyone was warm & happy...

CampStewart

Observer
I wonder how many of those who wouldn't take a chance with a buddy heater have ever even used one. I have owned one for many years and used it in a variety of different enclosures. I have used it in tents and would not hesitate to again. Its biggest drawback in my opinion is the moisture that collects inside when using it. I have always run mine off of a 20lb tank with an inline filter.

Superduty

Adventurer
I have used my portable buddy heater inside my tent a few times now. I do leave a tent window open a little for ventilation. I also set the heater on top of 3/4" piece of plywood. This keeps the tent floor from getting too warm. I use the heater in a 4 man tent with 2 people inside. I also use a large propane bottle (placed outside tent) with a 10' hose. So far it has worked great....hopefully I don't wind up dead from CO. I also did test the fall over feature of the heater to make sure it shuts off quickly (which it did). One of these days I should probably get a portable CO reader/alarm to see what kind of readings are going on in the tent.

Has anyone taken readings to see if there is actually a problem?

BTW, I read numerous things that the buddy heater wont work at higher elevations. I have used it twice at about 10k feet with no problems.

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
Carbon monoxide is CO, yes ventilate, and do not use while sleeping.

Low O2 is also a good alarm, general hydrocarbon as well, but keep away from where mammals fart.

Seriously, I had to move higher away from my dog

kmlacroix

Explorer
In the end do what you feel is right for you and the level warmth needed and the level of risk assumed. I run a little buddy at bed and in the morning. My choice is to have warm enough sleeping material that I will not need a heater at night. I sleep on the ground and usually have two dogs in the tent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles