Habitat Owner's Thread

ntgbrl

I got to use the Habitat in the rain a few weeks back and have since made some modifications to reduce water ingress in the tent. If you're camping in the rain, I have two pieces of advise for you: park with the front of the Jeep slightly higher than the rear (so water doesn't run forward along the canvas and into the rear tent corners), and make sure the canvas at the henge doesn't funnel water into the forward most part of the tent.

Water made it into my tent from 3 places. One of which is the loops sewn into the tent to hang the cargo net from. I bought some tent seam sealer that should stop water from being wicked in from there. Second is at the hinge area mentioned above. That was my fault for not making sure the canvas in that area didn't pool water and funnel it inside. Third was from the rear corners, where the canvas meets the hardtop there is a small gap. With the Habitat awning installed on the rear, water gets channeled into those corners and into the tent.
IMG_1836.JPG

I decided to make a small dam and fill that gap with Sugru

IMG_1838.JPG

Since I bought a batch of Sugru, I also filled the holes left in the weather stripping on the rear glass. After driving on dirt roads the interior back of the Jeep would be covered in dust, which is very annoying. Plugging those gaps didnt 100% stop dust from getting in, but it made a huge reduction. I plan to go back and add more trying to make as good of a seal as possible. Its hard to see in the pics since the stuff is black, but hopefully you get the idea.

IMG_1834.JPG IMG_1833.JPG

JDaPP

Adventurer
No. Not enough buyers. That being said AT has a vehicle habitat that work similarly. They will even cut the top.

JDaPP

Adventurer
J180 and at habitat for jeeps were same thing (both discontinued). Vehicle habitat are a stand alone tent that is mounted to the jeep (or other vehicle) at a very low profile (pretty much a rtt shaped liked a habitat). For the jeep they will cut a hole in your jeep hardtop and the habitat, in the same spot as the j180 so you have a defacto j180. Difference is j180 is all one piece. This scenario you would have a hard top (with a hole in it) + habitat.

OEF_Sapper

I purchased a Jeep with a habitat (unsure of the unit #) a year ago and have used it a few times. I just recently saw another for sale on Facebook. Any advice for a proud new owner of a habitat?

JDaPP

Adventurer
Don't have any advice but I am interested in buying a j180 do you happen to know where you found it on Facebook?

JDaPP

Adventurer
Thanks! Unfortunately that is what I keep running into is they are attached to a jeep that comes with it...

JDaPP

Adventurer
We are working on the small leaks right now. We have a couple of simple solutions that are going to work well for everyone.

Still in the testing phase right now. I never knew there were so many options for weatherproofed foam tape. We have been using neoprene to seal the extrusion to the shell and it works well for this application. It is highly conformable and provides a watertight barrier. However neoprene does not do well at being compressed and then expanding to it's original profile.

We have found some tape, it is a Neoprene/EPDM/SBR Foam, with an adhesive backing that is conformable but also expands back to it's original profile quickly. We have started testing this product in the hinge area where the extrusion is not attached to the shell.

I'll keep you posted on our progress.
So I am new owner to I believe #13 (need to double check). Would like to go ahead and water proof. I see AT didn't recommend using seam sealer so curious what the best option is?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
So I am new owner to I believe #13 (need to double check). Would like to go ahead and water proof. I see AT didn't recommend using seam sealer so curious what the best option is?
Just to clarify are you asking about sealing the tent?

JDaPP

Adventurer
Yes, I see instances where the webbing appears to allow leaks for other owners. I also see some mention of seam sealer but in your post you were talking about seam tape so just trying to figure out best path.

JDaPP

Adventurer
We are working on the small leaks right now. We have a couple of simple solutions that are going to work well for everyone.

Still in the testing phase right now. I never knew there were so many options for weatherproofed foam tape. We have been using neoprene to seal the extrusion to the shell and it works well for this application. It is highly conformable and provides a watertight barrier. However neoprene does not do well at being compressed and then expanding to it's original profile.

We have found some tape, it is a Neoprene/EPDM/SBR Foam, with an adhesive backing that is conformable but also expands back to it's original profile quickly. We have started testing this product in the hinge area where the extrusion is not attached to the shell.

I'll keep you posted on our progress.
Did you find a sealing tape that you would recommend?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94