2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

uzj100

Adventurer
Yep - been on internutz since it started and have a fully modded and locked 2004 100 series. ;<)
And double yep - LC peeps are pretty enthusiastic

Back to Defender - Is there any mention of a convertible Defender, 2 or 4 door or pickup that is convertible?

DieselRanger

Yep - been on internutz since it started and have a fully modded and locked 2004 100 series. ;<)
And double yep - LC peeps are pretty enthusiastic

Back to Defender - Is there any mention of a convertible Defender, 2 or 4 door or pickup that is convertible?
Not yet, but the 90 will have a soft top sunroof option, supposedly.

Nailed it........you want a defender with any decent engine and potentially a diesel in the future; $62k right out of the gate, on the BASE model....lol

DieselRanger

Nailed it........you want a defender with any decent engine and potentially a diesel in the future; $62k right out of the gate, on the BASE model....lol
The outgoing Defender was expensive in the UK. The 1997 Defender that was last offered in the US was the equivalent of over $75,000 today off the lot.

There will be commercial versions but not likely in the US.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
The cutaway did nothing to impress me. It looks more and more like Ford's new Explorer, inside and out.

some under-the-skin photos:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Thinking the same. Probably depends on how much miss direction Ford has going on the jeep like doors etc. Ford has become a master of miss direction playing the media and development on its new vehicle development.
Funny you mentioned that, I was just reading an article about Ford filing a patent for a removable roof and modular grill that shows a factory winch... It will be an interesting comparison once the Bronco comes out.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Funny you mentioned that, I was just reading an article about Ford filing a patent for a removable roof and modular grill that shows a factory winch... It will be an interesting comparison once the Bronco comes out.

Im likely picking up a 2020 Explorer the Expedition is about another $18,000 and Parking that fat bastard in Sanfrancisco is my biggest issue with it. If I didn’t have city parking need once in a while I’d go Expedition for sure.

The 2020 Explorer will do 99.5% of what I want to do. I would probably go hybrid or Platinum trim which case I would round up the XLT 18in wheel and dump the 20 or 22’s. I’m sure someone will cnc strut blocks to bump the clearance up some. 8in stock is barely acceptable. 9 or 9.5 would make me happy.

catmann

I think the interior is a work of art with more than a nod to both the Defender & early Disco
View attachment 538146View attachment 538147View attachment 538148

I actually like the interior a good bit as well - I suppose it could have gone in a number of directions, but I have no issues with the design brought forth. I am very glad the steering wheel looks appropriately sized, so many of the new SUV's/Trucks have small steering wheels and they just feel weird and dainty...

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I think the coil sprung defenders ground clearance is 226 mm / 8.8" for comparisons sake.

I don't know a lot about the 2020 Explorers. I know a couple people with 16 or 17 Explorers and they seem to like them.
The 2020 is not even remotely the same machine as the 2019 and older version. Totally different rig. Rear wheel drive, linear engine/ transmission layout. Longer wheel base wheels pushed to the corners. The 3L v6 10spd combo is interesting. The 10spd serves up a pretty low 1st gear. Granted its not a duel spd transfer case 4x4.

The new Defender is interesting but it looks like Rover went from 10yr old parts bin technology to possibly going off the deep end on tech that might rub allot of people the wrong way. Especially the expo types that know what its like getting out there and having a error shut down the whole trip.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The 2020 is not even remotely the same machine as the 2019 and older version. Totally different rig. Rear wheel drive, linear engine/ transmission layout. Longer wheel base wheels pushed to the corners. The 3L v6 10spd combo is interesting. The 10spd serves up a pretty low 1st gear. Granted its not a duel spd transfer case 4x4.

The new Defender is interesting but it looks like Rover went from 10yr old parts bin technology to possibly going off the deep end on tech that might rub allot of people the wrong way. Especially the expo types that know what its like getting out there and having a error shut down the whole trip.
If that's the way you go, I hope it's a good vehicle for you. Seem like good vehicles.

I do like this Land Rover. Personally I feel it would have been a good LR5 / Discovery though.

Jeep did a good job updating the Jeep and Mercedes did a good job doing that with the new G wagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles