The old 1999 build thread

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I'm looking to replace my rotors soon-ish and thought that slotted/drilled weren't good for offroad use? Have you had any issues so far with grit getting stuck in there?

Nope, I'll bet if you were in a swamp you might need to spray out the holes. Would probably clear itself out driving home though.

Toasty

20190727_171617.jpg20190727_165445.jpg

Working on the mock-up, seeing where parts will fall. Motor mount brackets need some work to get the ride height i want.

Toasty

20190904_194843.jpg

I found Mirage engine mounts for cars equipped with a manual transmission have these cool mounts. I'm going to try running two of them in place of the Montero trans mount. You can see how much heavier duty they are compared to the stock rubber, the poly worked well enough but it did tear. Solid mounts worked really well but were noisy so hopefully these will be tough and quiet since they're a floating style.

Toasty

60.5" WMS/WMS I believe, the truss came from Next Venture and the Radius arms are from Metal Cloak. More importantly, i cut PA_JERO's IFS off yesterday too. Maybe he'll make a post or maybe not.

20190907_135413.jpg
20190907_135305.jpg

Toasty

What is the overall objective for the project in these photos? I like the clock.

Added strength, suspension travel and serviceability for years to come. PAJ_ERO and I mostly drive really tough trails, Montero IFS is strong and it's probably one of the best. We've done all the hardest trails and the IFS always handled it but in all honesty we've grown tired of rebuilding it every other year due to worn out components. It's just time to take it up a notch, we both have nice stock Monteros as well so we won't miss out on how great they are as is.

sledhooligan

Now you got me rethinking my 3 link and just going with a trailing arm setup. The Lock and Load is interesting , I just wonder how much it really helps ? Considering a DIY arm kit from Ruff Stuff is 450$.

Toasty

Now you got me rethinking my 3 link and just going with a trailing arm setup. The Lock and Load is interesting , I just wonder how much it really helps ? Considering a DIY arm kit from Ruff Stuff is 450$.

We'll see, it's supposed to help with wear on the bushings because it cushions some of the inherit bind of radius arms. I mostly went with Metal Cloak because they don't have heims or spherical joints. I hate noisy suspension.
As far as flex goes i know it'll do that job, when you remove 1 bolt from a trailing or radius arm and leave the other fully connected it acts like a 3 link. We used to do it with Montero trailing arms back in the day.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
We'll see, it's supposed to help with wear on the bushings because it cushions some of the inherit bind of radius arms. I mostly went with Metal Cloak because they don't have heims or spherical joints. I hate noisy suspension.
As far as flex goes i know it'll do that job, when you remove 1 bolt from a trailing or radius arm and leave the other fully connected it acts like a 3 link. We used to do it with Montero trailing arms back in the day.
So are you getting rid of the stock control arms entirely then, or modifying them? Wait....I get it now. You’ve completely eliminated the IFS and changed to a solid front axle, right? What I can’t see is how it has any shock absorption incorporated into it.

Last edited:

Toasty

So are you getting rid of the stock control arms entirely then, or modifying them? Wait....I get it now. You’ve completely eliminated the IFS and changed to a solid front axle, right? What I can’t see is how it has any shock absorption incorporated into it.

Correct. That's because i don't have shocks yet, i need steering and track bar to be in place so i can cycle and measure the suspension travel. Then i can tell what length coilovers i'll need, after that i need to weigh the truck corner per corner so that i can get the correct springs and valving when i order the coilovers. I want to get this right the first time.

Toasty

Making the new crossmember, this will locate the new radius arms. I made little sliders to protect the hardware, i will also be welding the sides of the crossmember to the truck most likely. The transmission and transfer case can be removed without removing the crossmeber now AND i can service the transmission without taking the crossmemeber down now!

20190731_135352.jpg20190731_135404.jpg20190801_110303.jpg20190801_110309.jpg20190801_112047.jpg20190801_115111.jpg20190910_100712.jpg20190910_100739.jpg20190910_100758.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier