Subframe fabricators in southwestern US?

glennm01

Can anyone recommend a shop in Southern California (preferably the LA area) that has experience fabricating the sort of spring-mounted subframe that's commonly employed on Fuso builds? If not, perhaps anywhere in the southwest?

yabanja

Explorer
Can anyone recommend a shop in Southern California (preferably the LA area) that has experience fabricating the sort of spring-mounted subframe that's commonly employed on Fuso builds? If not, perhaps anywhere in the southwest?

I would probably try to make friends with your local race car fabrication shop. Take lots of pictures and they will get you sorted out. Have had terrible luck approaching traditional truck fitters as they are generally hacks and have trouble thinking outside the box.

Allan

javajoe79

Fabricator
If you want to come to Tennessee. I can do it. You can see my build thread for how I did mine but I'd gladly do it however you want it done.

glennm01

I appreciate that javajoe, but...it's a bit of a haul from LA. Still, good to have options if all else fails...

Allan -- yeah, I think I'm just going to have to start talking to different off-road fabricators to find someone who seems up to it. It would be nice to find someone who's specifically done a Fuso subframe before, but that may be wishful thinking.

Still all ears if anyone has any other suggestions.

Greenbarn

My recommendation is to do as much research as you can and take it to a small independent fabricator. There are very few people with experience with these subframes but they are not rocket science. I am only comfortable when I have seen lots of their previous work and when they value their reputation. Specialty truck and off-road shops are frequently more expensive than ticketed welder fabricators.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Are you seeking a designer/fabricator? Or just someone to fab to a drawing that you already have?

The designer part is the tricky one. After that, it is pretty basic welding to spec.

dan85

Observer
try talking to a truck builder that does things like rigid trucks with spray tanks or fuel tanks as sometimes they are spring mounted to save the tanks. other option is these guys are in Oregon which doesnt look to far away. https://earthcruiser.com/

NatersXJ6

Explorer
try talking to a truck builder that does things like rigid trucks with spray tanks or fuel tanks as sometimes they are spring mounted to save the tanks. other option is these guys are in Oregon which doesnt look to far away. https://earthcruiser.com/
That is a pretty good idea. I think there is a company called McLellan here in the Central Valley that makes water tanks, water trucks, and fuel and lube trucks.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
We are working together with a pretty good builder that has constructed several subframes for Fuso FG. Downside: They only building them in combination with a camper body.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles