Anyone know about Port-Lite campers

Hello,

Anyone know about Port-Lite campers?

Lightweight composite construction. 1350 lbs dry. I can't find out anything more about them than what is on the webpage. They said that they were at Expo West, but I didn't see them in any pictures or videos.
They look pretty cool.

Anyone? Anyone? ...

Bueller?
:cool:

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
Every picture on their site looks like a render, so that's probably why there weren't any pictures of them at Expo West.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Other than the flatbed models, it looks like everything else is still “under development.”

This could wind up being a quality product as they claim to be headquartered in Maine, a state where one would hope folks know how to make a tough, we’ll insulated camper. Time will tell.

But it always bothers me to find a flashy website hinting at better things to come, when there is no specific physical address listed for the company. What do you guys think about that?

Other than the flatbed models, it looks like everything else is still “under development.”

This could wind up being a quality product as they claim to be headquartered in Maine, a state where one would hope folks know how to make a tough, we’ll insulated camper. Time will tell.

But it always bothers me to find a flashy website hinting at better things to come, when there is no specific physical address listed for the company. What do you guys think about that?

Whenever I see a product that I consider for a build, I always first find out what state they are located in, so that I can work out the logistics. Unfortunately, they are on the opposite corner of the country from So-Cal. I would prefer something on the left coast. But if it is worth it, I would consider it.

Hopefully, they will show up at Expo East or some other big gathering and give us more details. I like their camper, hope that they can keep the weight and cost down in production units. It would be cool to see a few customer builds and customer reviews. I wish them the best.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Since every single photo I saw on their site is a photoshop/cgi job, I have a hard time taking them too seriously. Drawing up a floor plan and a spec sheet and putting it on a website is a far cry from operating a manufacturing facility. They might actually build a great camper some day, but I would put my money somewhere proven. Hallmark, 4Wheel, Norther Lite etc all make great campers if you’re looking for something other than a standard built quality camper like Lance or AF. If you want custom, talk to @IdaSHO on here. He is building similar looking campers to the Port Lite doodle.

Since every single photo I saw on their site is a photoshop/cgi job, I have a hard time taking them too seriously. Drawing up a floor plan and a spec sheet and putting it on a website is a far cry from operating a manufacturing facility. They might actually build a great camper some day, but I would put my money somewhere proven. Hallmark, 4Wheel, Norther Lite etc all make great campers if you’re looking for something other than a standard built quality camper like Lance or AF. If you want custom, talk to @IdaSHO on here. He is building similar looking campers to the Port Lite doodle.

All the campers you mention are too heavy. Bahn is closer to what I have in mind.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
None of them are “too heavy”. They may, however be heavier than you would like. Are you looking to mount a camper on a half ton?

Port listed their “approximate dry weight” at 1350 lbs, but I’d bet they are closer to 1600, and then add your camping stuff, food, water,propane etc etc and you will be in the low 2000s. If you want a camper with all/most of the amenities, you need to be looking at 3/4 or 1 tons. All the campers I mentioned work just fine in those cases.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The Bahn campers look pretty good. I’m thinking their 700lb rig is the “raw fibreglass shell” they mention. I’d be curious to see what one of their campers weighs once water tanks, stove, fridge, furnace, water heater, toilet, shower, sink, bed, vents, dinette etc are added.

I build custom RVs for a living, and see on a daily basis how fast cost and weight add up. I am totally supportive of more outside the (white) box type of thinking where campers are concerned.

None of them are “too heavy”. They may, however be heavier than you would like. Are you looking to mount a camper on a half ton?

Port listed their “approximate dry weight” at 1350 lbs, but I’d bet they are closer to 1600, and then add your camping stuff, food, water,propane etc etc and you will be in the low 2000s. If you want a camper with all/most of the amenities, you need to be looking at 3/4 or 1 tons. All the campers I mentioned work just fine in those cases.

Although it would be very cool, I have no desire for a 3/4 or 1 ton. A few minimalist builds on this and other sites show that a build with a half ton is totally doable. Not everyone has the same needs.

For example:

Nothjng against the larger duty trucks. Actually, my first thoughts were for a 3/4 or 1 ton, but I can't see myself going in that direction after reading some 1/2 ton builds like that. It's just too cool.

Logistically, Bahn would be preferable since it is on the west coast, but I would like to see what any others are doing in the area of light weight campers. Best of luck to camper builders Bahn, Port, and yourself.

MattF350

Observer
Although it would be very cool, I have no desire for a 3/4 or 1 ton. A few minimalist builds on this and other sites show that a build with a half ton is totally doable. Not everyone has the same needs.

For example:

Nothjng against the larger duty trucks. Actually, my first thoughts were for a 3/4 or 1 ton, but I can't see myself going in that direction after reading some 1/2 ton builds like that. It's just too cool.

Logistically, Bahn would be preferable since it is on the west coast, but I would like to see what any others are doing in the area of light weight campers. Best of luck to camper builders Bahn, Port, and yourself.
I gotta say, I am quite impressed by some of the 1/2 ton truck builds. They definitely work with what they have.

I just like my F350 so I dont have too many restrictions and plenty of space (8ft bed) to work with.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I’m loving some of these lightweight builds too. I need something that can be used for extended times while working in the mountains in winter, hence the Northern Lite. If I were just using mine for 3 season camping, I’d definitely be in something less substantial, but equally well built. The utility shell builds are great!

oldnslow

Observer
The website says "made in Maine" but the phone area code is for Atlanta, Georgia.

1350 lbs sounds way too light for what they say is in the camper.

Color me sceptical...

Port-Lite

Hey guys,

We were at Expo East this past weekend with the prototype of our Expedition One.

Our shell is 1" thick fully molded fiberglass with a structural foam core and all the interior furniture is the same construction but 1/2" thick.
That is how we are able to be so lightweight. Dry weight is approximately 1350lbs depending on options.
The unit also includes a custom aluminum flatbed to mount it to your vehicle.

Our production tooling is being worked on and we plan to have production units available summer 2020.
We're currently taking pre-orders on our website (www.port-lite.com) to reserve a spot in the production queue.

Expo East 1.png Expo East 2.png

We are located in Maine, just outside the town of Wiscasset. Units are made to order so we have no public facilities.
We did attend Expo West last year but only for user research purposes. We were located at a table in the exhibitor tent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles