Truma Combi? users comments?

Conifer

I believe Stan's issue is sourcing the actual Truma unit, not the install itself. I am sure he would be happy to install a Truma unit sources from us, link in my signature. Thanks.
What makes you think that, out of curiosity? I have talked to the guys at Hallmark Campers, who are local to me, and they had no issues at all getting set up with Truma and are installing them in most of their campers now. I know Truma does not sell direct to the public, which is where you come in I see (awesome, by the way!), but I highly doubt that Four Wheel would have any issues with it. The furnace they include now is ancient, a huge power hog, and LOUD. It also does not produce hot water or have the ability to run on AC power, both issues which the Truma Combi would solve. Instead, a secondary old school water heater tank has to be installed, which takes up more space as well. I realize the Truma is expensive, but given the issues it solves, I can't for the life of me figure out why Four Wheel hasn't offered it at least as an option by now. They've been going through so many changes over there with the new ownership and new manufacturing systems, incorporating something like this seems like a slam dunk.

cobratom

Approved Vendor
What makes you think that, out of curiosity? I have talked to the guys at Hallmark Campers, who are local to me, and they had no issues at all getting set up with Truma and are installing them in most of their campers now. I know Truma does not sell direct to the public, which is where you come in I see (awesome, by the way!), but I highly doubt that Four Wheel would have any issues with it. The furnace they include now is ancient, a huge power hog, and LOUD. It also does not produce hot water or have the ability to run on AC power, both issues which the Truma Combi would solve. Instead, a secondary old school water heater tank has to be installed, which takes up more space as well. I realize the Truma is expensive, but given the issues it solves, I can't for the life of me figure out why Four Wheel hasn't offered it at least as an option by now. They've been going through so many changes over there with the new ownership and new manufacturing systems, incorporating something like this seems like a slam dunk.

I think it has everything to do with the quantity of units sold, not only initial costs. It seems its rather expensive to get Truma Technicians in to train installers, and its the only way Truma will sell them. Suburban furnaces are ancient tech and very simple to install, doubt a factory course is necessary.

kb1ejh

I've been hoping for them to have the Truma also. The frost protection seems like a good option too. I haven't seen the FWC water heater in-depth but I wonder if they put a winterizing bypass in or do you need to fill the 6 gal heater with antifreeze to winterize it? The all in one unit seems to be a better way to go or at least FWC having it as an option is good.

Conifer

I think it has everything to do with the quantity of units sold, not only initial costs. It seems its rather expensive to get Truma Technicians in to train installers, and its the only way Truma will sell them. Suburban furnaces are ancient tech and very simple to install, doubt a factory course is necessary.
I'd be curious to know if this is the actual reason, because this just doesn't add up to me. Hallmark is a MUCH smaller manufacturer and has somehow been able to successfully include Truma in their product line, unless perhaps they are buying from a source like yourself and not directly from Truma?

Motafinga

Adventurer
Alaskan Campers uses these now to rave reviews as well, I'd love to have one someday if not in my current rig then maybe the next.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Alaskan Campers uses these now to rave reviews as well, I'd love to have one someday if not in my current rig then maybe the next.
I'd be curious to know if this is the actual reason, because this just doesn't add up to me. Hallmark is a MUCH smaller manufacturer and has somehow been able to successfully include Truma in their product line, unless perhaps they are buying from a source like yourself and not directly from Truma?

Not to mention BundutecUSA. They have been using them for a couple of years. I love mine.

Jack

ExpoMike

Just wanted to bring this thread back as I am looking at heating and water heater options. My 2000 era FWC had the old Suburban systems. Water heater always worked fine, the heater on the hand was totally hit and miss.

This Truma combi unit might fit the bill well for our new camper build. Wanted to get more feedback of how well it has been working for those with them. It is a big chunk of money so I don't want to waste it if the unit is problematic or runs the risk of becoming outdated and not supported anymore.

Thanks!

ADDED: I found this advisory and would like to get feedback on it as well. https://rvbusiness.com/truma-is-issuing-a-buyer-advisory-for-combi-heater/

Last edited:

LosAngeles

Just wanted to bring this thread back as I am looking at heating and water heater options. My 2000 era FWC had the old Suburban systems. Water heater always worked fine, the heater on the hand was totally hit and miss.

This Truma combi unit might fit the bill well for our new camper build. Wanted to get more feedback of how well it has been working for those with them. It is a big chunk of money so I don't want to waste it if the unit is problematic or runs the risk of becoming outdated and not supported anymore.

Thanks!

ADDED: I found this advisory and would like to get feedback on it as well. https://rvbusiness.com/truma-is-issuing-a-buyer-advisory-for-combi-heater/

Hi

I can't comment on the advisory, other than it is from last year. check the date.

so about the truma: note you can't buy one yourself and install it yourself. It has to be done by an authorized dealer, i believe.

So in brief - the Truma Combi is great.

super efficient with propane. super quiet.

if you have 'winterized' your RV so it has no water in it (because it is going below freezing) - you can still make hot air with the Truma combi.

Note - in electric mode it is either 800 watts or 1800 watts (i believe) and this isn't enough to heat an RV up from cold... so you use MixMode 1 or 2... and it uses Propane to get to the target heat, then switches to 100v to maintain it. If a blast of cold air comes in... it will use Propane to get back to the target heat.

More and more big USA RV manufacturers are using them in some products.

The engineering is really great. I like it a lot.

Just be sure to NOT mount the Truma heat sensor right above a heat outlet (or else it will confuse the unit, understandably)

Hope this helps

ExpoMike

Hi

I can't comment on the advisory, other than it is from last year. check the date.

so about the truma: note you can't buy one yourself and install it yourself. It has to be done by an authorized dealer, i believe.

So in brief - the Truma Combi is great.

super efficient with propane. super quiet.

if you have 'winterized' your RV so it has no water in it (because it is going below freezing) - you can still make hot air with the Truma combi.

Note - in electric mode it is either 800 watts or 1800 watts (i believe) and this isn't enough to heat an RV up from cold... so you use MixMode 1 or 2... and it uses Propane to get to the target heat, then switches to 100v to maintain it. If a blast of cold air comes in... it will use Propane to get back to the target heat.

More and more big USA RV manufacturers are using them in some products.

The engineering is really great. I like it a lot.

Just be sure to NOT mount the Truma heat sensor right above a heat outlet (or else it will confuse the unit, understandably)

Hope this helps

Thanks. I found there is a US distributor but Truma doesn't "recognize" them as in the US they say it must be installed by an authorized dealer yet in Europe, they will see to private parties. I think it is all about the legal ramifications in the US. It seems like they are becoming more popular in the US RV manufacturers which is a positive. It really seems like a nice unit and the biggest thing I keep hearing is how quiet it is. I know our old Suburban heater, when it worked, was noisy.

https://trumaheaters.com/ is the US source from what I found.

dfrank

Observer
Below the heaters they show a 12V DC compressor. Does this tie right into the same unit making it a cooler as well?

ExpoMike

Below the heaters they show a 12V DC compressor. Does this tie right into the same unit making it a cooler as well?

No, that is just another product they offer if you are setting up a A/C system. It has nothing to do with the Combi unit.

ReluctantTraveler

I know this thread is now nearly 4 years old, but... you still can't buy Truma Combi heaters consumer-direct in the US. I'm surprised they haven't sorted this yet.

If any of y'all found licensed installers to add one to your DIY rig, how'd you do it? Most of the folks I see selling them are selling complete campers more than standalone install services.

LosAngeles

I know this thread is now nearly 4 years old, but... you still can't buy Truma Combi heaters consumer-direct in the US. I'm surprised they haven't sorted this yet.

If any of y'all found licensed installers to add one to your DIY rig, how'd you do it? Most of the folks I see selling them are selling complete campers more than standalone install services.

i am pretty sure (this is my educated "hunch") .... that DIY people can't install themselves, as the Truma Combi is complicated, and needs to be installed by experts to be safe, efficient, and work well. It makes perfect sense that they dont want the product support + warranty claims from the inevitable non-expert installers.

I'm not saying all the DIY installers are not experts, just some. More than acceptable.

just my 2c.

peace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles