Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

DNLUSK

digging the Canopy Camper on my Taco!

c8a2166de1e241a086b9f10405aba50d.jpg

8c8a48c96504931c13612e79d4e31230.jpg

still deciding what to do with the bed. I had ideas but they changed after the last trip down to WV. I really liked keeping my mountain bike securely inside (29er). it was safely out of sight and didn’t have to put my hitch carrier on and decrease departure angle. leaning towards keeping some flex space on one side for a bike, dog bed, beer hauling cooler, etc. the other side will probably get some Goose Gear storage (been very happy with my JKUR GG setup).

1ed5b84fd1e713dc9ff143ef0b7a95aa.jpg

in the meantime decided to rework the door and swap the zip pouches for MOLLE panels. this gives me greater flexibility to change up me loadout depending on the trip.

56bc9e2d18d85c9c9d12b623fb41b393.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice looking set up, I like the system on your back door, I have not seen this before. Is is a commercially available?

Clinton Morse

Been meaning to post some better pics, but here's a quick shot of the current layout. Nothing fancy, but working well for my purposes - basically non-overlanding camping use and as a base camp for trail running & orienteering adventures. Also 3 business trips to the DC area on the cheap...

Dometic 40 fridge (readily accessible from drivers side or interior) Held in place with inexpensive load bar. There is a narrow milk crate between fridge and front of truck which keep vents clear and fridge out from under the camper overhang.

GZ 1400 battery w/ 100w panel on roof. As long as I don't park indoors (ie parking garage at work), solar pretty much keeps battery topped up with normal use. Prior to wiring the solar panels, the battery ran the fridge & lights for 4.5 days during a DC heatwave when I was down there on work earlier this summer.

Couch w/ milk crate storage using smaller camper pad. The couch also sits crosswise just in front of the load bar as well, but I prefer this orientation as I can put my running gear there and access it all easily from drivers side of truck.

Up top I have an Exped Megamat Duo w/ Nemo Symphony Duo mated sleeping bag.

FS - I am not using the stock mattress pad that comes with the rooftop tent. Its just sitting in the garage. If anyone in southern New England is interested, PM me, I'd rather see it go to a good use and will let it go cheap...
IMG_20190818_174357.jpg

m(a)ce

Adventurer
Nice looking set up, I like the system on your back door, I have not seen this before. Is is a commercially available?

yes!

Wilde Custom Gear makes custom MOLLE panels. They’re intended for gun safes but work perfectly on the door. They even come with velcro so they swap right in for the pockets. They have grommets if you want to more securely mount too. Not cheap but they’re custom/made in USA.

I ordered through their Etsy shop but you can order direct if you have more specific requests.

gnel

Been meaning to post some better pics, but here's a quick shot of the current layout. Nothing fancy, but working well for my purposes - basically non-overlanding camping use and as a base camp for trail running & orienteering adventures. Also 3 business trips to the DC area on the cheap...

Dometic 40 fridge (readily accessible from drivers side or interior) Held in place with inexpensive load bar. There is a narrow milk crate between fridge and front of truck which keep vents clear and fridge out from under the camper overhang.

GZ 1400 battery w/ 100w panel on roof. As long as I don't park indoors (ie parking garage at work), solar pretty much keeps battery topped up with normal use. Prior to wiring the solar panels, the battery ran the fridge & lights for 4.5 days during a DC heatwave when I was down there on work earlier this summer.

Couch w/ milk crate storage using smaller camper pad. The couch also sits crosswise just in front of the load bar as well, but I prefer this orientation as I can put my running gear there and access it all easily from drivers side of truck.

Up top I have an Exped Megamat Duo w/ Nemo Symphony Duo mated sleeping bag.

FS - I am not using the stock mattress pad that comes with the rooftop tent. Its just sitting in the garage. If anyone in southern New England is interested, PM me, I'd rather see it go to a good use and will let it go cheap...
View attachment 533502

What are you using now for a matress?

Clinton Morse

What are you using now for a matress?
Exped Megamat Duo - have had this for a few years now and love it. I've slept on a lot of camping mattresses and nothing comes close to this for comfort. As I'm getting older, I likes my comfort...

It fits almost perfectly in the canopy camper - snug to the sides and extends about an inch and half beyond the main platform, so have to pull mattress up slightly to open/close the short portion of platform. Hasn't been an issue solo or doubled up.

Mattress deflates with sleeping bag attached and fits fine with camper top closed. You can't leave the mattress inflated when closed though. So when closing up i just open the deflate valve and close the camper. Upon opening I close the valves then inflate with a Ryobi 18V compressor - takes less than a minute to reinflate. And ready to go...

https://www.rei.com/product/113720/exped-megamat-duo-10-sleeping-pad

gnel

Exped Megamat Duo - have had this for a few years now and love it. I've slept on a lot of camping mattresses and nothing comes close to this for comfort. As I'm getting older, I likes my comfort...

It fits almost perfectly in the canopy camper - snug to the sides and extends about an inch and half beyond the main platform, so have to pull mattress up slightly to open/close the short portion of platform. Hasn't been an issue solo or doubled up.

Mattress deflates with sleeping bag attached and fits fine with camper top closed. You can't leave the mattress inflated when closed though. So when closing up i just open the deflate valve and close the camper. Upon opening I close the valves then inflate with a Ryobi 18V compressor - takes less than a minute to reinflate. And ready to go...

https://www.rei.com/product/113720/exped-megamat-duo-10-sleeping-pad

Thanks for the info and link!

blackohio

Observer
Laying out the backwall panel. Will replace the velcro bags at the very back. Currently being set-up to house: RedArc Manager30, Switch-pro 8100, wiring pass throughs for battery etc. The other side i'll mount a tankless water heater and if it's stable enough possibly a propane tank

Box of screw represents the switch pro faceplate location. Lower left where the power switch is will be the S/P brain and a blue sea bus panel. Since the Switch-pro will be connected directly to the house battery the master power switch will serve as a cut-off for the S/P so it doesnt draw power when not in use.

Switch-pro arrives today. Once I have that its drill time and powdercoat then it's routing cables through the panel time and install.
IMG_0682.JPG

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Laying out the backwall panel. Will replace the velcro bags at the very back. Currently being set-up to house: RedArc Manager30, Switch-pro 8100, wiring pass throughs for battery etc. The other side i'll mount a tankless water heater and if it's stable enough possibly a propane tank

Box of screw represents the switch pro faceplate location. Lower left where the power switch is will be the S/P brain and a blue sea bus panel. Since the Switch-pro will be connected directly to the house battery the master power switch will serve as a cut-off for the S/P so it doesnt draw power when not in use.

Switch-pro arrives today. Once I have that its drill time and powdercoat then it's routing cables through the panel time and install.
View attachment 534024

I'm beyond excited to see this installed and digging the Australian vibe! ?

rino

digging the Canopy Camper on my Taco!

c8a2166de1e241a086b9f10405aba50d.jpg

8c8a48c96504931c13612e79d4e31230.jpg

still deciding what to do with the bed. I had ideas but they changed after the last trip down to WV. I really liked keeping my mountain bike securely inside (29er). it was safely out of sight and didn’t have to put my hitch carrier on and decrease departure angle. leaning towards keeping some flex space on one side for a bike, dog bed, beer hauling cooler, etc. the other side will probably get some Goose Gear storage (been very happy with my JKUR GG setup).

1ed5b84fd1e713dc9ff143ef0b7a95aa.jpg

in the meantime decided to rework the door and swap the zip pouches for MOLLE panels. this gives me greater flexibility to change up me loadout depending on the trip.

56bc9e2d18d85c9c9d12b623fb41b393.jpg

Dig that idea of a half system! ? Also for those less handy with carpentry skills or just looking for a turn key solution for the Canopy Camper,the guys at Goose gear have a great modular system available specifically for the Canopy Camper. Currently available for Tacoma (5'&6') and soon for Colorado and Ranger platforms. https://www.goose-gear.com/collections/alucab-canopy-camper

XsPzSOT.jpg

ObQDqMH.jpg

LDNovgH.jpg

Last edited:

blackohio

Observer
Dig that idea of a half system! ? Also for those less handy with carpentry skills or just looking for a turn key solution for the Canopy Camper,the guys at Goose gear have a great modular system available specifically for the Canopy Camper. Currently available for Tacoma (5'&6') and soon for Colorado and Ranger platforms. https://www.goose-gear.com/collections/alucab-canopy-camper

XsPzSOT.jpg

LDNovgH.jpg
Rin whats the velcro panel over the window. Trying to solve having the dogs down below with windows open but so theyre not capable of jumping out.

rino

Rin whats the velcro panel over the window. Trying to solve having the dogs down below with windows open but so their not capable of jumping out.

We have a new window screen / privacy screen concept we have been toying around with and have just about dialed in. This will be an add on for existing campers as well.

blackohio

Observer
We have a new window screen / privacy screen concept we have been toying around with and have just about dialed in. This will be an add on for existing campers as well.
awesome, make one with some kinda mesh please! I want the dogs to sleep in the bed but dont want to keep the thing all closed up perfect for people who sleep people in the bottom as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles