Cheaper 270 Degree Awnings: ARQ4WD & Overland Pros

Leibbrand

Adventurer
Any more updates on the ARQ 270° awning in terms of durability and water resistance? Or company responsiveness?
I've been looking for a 5 ft 270° awning for a while, and this is the only option I've seen...

Company is hard to reach but I did get mine in finally. Mine is also for sale, drivers side 270, longer one.

Any more updates on the ARQ 270° awning in terms of durability and water resistance? Or company responsiveness?
I've been looking for a 5 ft 270° awning for a while, and this is the only option I've seen...

Mine is a crap. Leaked at all the seams, bunch of broken parts. Don't waste your money.

Thanks for the response. Do you know what version you had? Or recall when you bought it?

I had the original, and it got warranties out with a gen 3 (I think). It has Led lights on it. The LED lights work fine, one of the little push pin things that lock the arms in place when you extend them is missing, the plastic end caps keep breaking, the fabric leaked, you can visually see holes in when there is moon light above it. I'm 99% sure you would have better luck with Chinese knock offs then this crap.

DVC

I had the original, and it got warranties out with a gen 3 (I think). It has Led lights on it. The LED lights work fine, one of the little push pin things that lock the arms in place when you extend them is missing, the plastic end caps keep breaking, the fabric leaked, you can visually see holes in when there is moon light above it. I'm 99% sure you would have better luck with Chinese knock offs then this crap.
Yikes.... The problem is that this is the only one I've seen that's 5ft.

DVC

The Rhino-Rack Batwing Compact Awning is on the smaller side for a 270, and may work for you.
I would be all over the Rhino-Rack compact, but I think it's about 6.5ft... Too big for my short bed expedition rack.
If only a reputable company would make a 5ft version! I'm surprised no one has because it seems like there would be demand from all the midsize and full-size shortbed trucks.

Last edited:

shade

I would be all over the Rhino-Rack compact, but I think it's about 6.5ft... Too big for my short bed expedition rack.
If only a reputable company would make a 5ft version! I'm surprised no one has because it seems like there would be demand from all the midsize and full-size shortbed trucks.
If a 270 awning packs that short, it won't offer much shade. Even the Kinsmen Awning sees some criticism for it's smaller deployed footprint compared to other options. If an awning is longer than the rack, it can be centered to minimize the overhang.

For a smaller packed size, I think you're going to be stuck with rectangular options.

DVC

I hadn't thought of that... But it's a good point: a 5ft packed size means that it will only swing out 5ft from the truck. Wrapping around certainly creates more surface area, but probably not much more usable coverage than my 5ft by 8ft rectangular awning.

shade

I hadn't thought of that... But it's a good point: a 5ft packed size means that it will only swing out 5ft from the truck. Wrapping around certainly creates more surface area, but probably not much more usable coverage than my 5ft by 8ft rectangular awning.
For shade, lower sun angles work against smaller awnings. Some of that could be mitigated by adding a vertical extension to the end of the awning, but that's more to futz with, and counter to why people like 270 awnings.

DVC

For shade, lower sun angles work against smaller awnings. Some of that could be mitigated by adding a vertical extension to the end of the awning, but that's more to futz with, and counter to why people like 270 awnings.
Yup, true. I do have a wall for my 23Zero rectangular awning.

DVC

I don't think so. I just discovered this thread, it is over a year old, but reading it found bad reviews for them and was unable to find a source for them. Maybe they went back to the drawing board.
I reached out to them via Instagram, and after a few days recieved a reply with some pics and short video clips of what appear to be good quality awnings standing up to windy conditions.

Since I have their attention for the moment, let me know if you have any questions to ask them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles