Oh, the joys of vehicle shopping....

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Even if you are going to pay cash, don’t let them know that. Hell, finance it and pay it off when the first payment is due. Or put it on a credit card that gets you miles and pay that off.

We tried to put our new Suby on our credit card to get the points but they only let us put about $3k on the card.
We did go with their 0% loan on the rest of it, and the cash purchase money we saved is now invested in the stock market (and losing value every day right now ?!).

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
BTW, with vehicle financing, as we discovered, if you do want to use a loan to buy a car, the interest rates for used purchases are gonna be higher than ones for new purchases...and the payback periods are shorter for used car loans, so your payments for a used one will frequently be higher than for a new one. Weird!

So if making the monthly payment nut is an issue for you, your monthly cash outlay budget could actually be improved by buying a new vehicle instead of a used one!

grogie

Like to Camp
I’m starting to look at buying a truck for a four-wheel camper. I will buy new, as I keep vehicles for a long time, and this will be my 7th new purchase, which each previous purchase has always had a certain amount of slime to it. The first one I was red meat for a slick sales manager showing a new guy how to make a deal... but I learned a lot.

The last purchase, the wife and I wanted a 4Runner which a local dealer had the one we wanted. It was January, and we went to other dealers online for that vehicle. Two made us a better offer on that 4Runner, and one even called the dealer for a trade to sell it to us. The dealer figured it out, and gave us an even better deal. It was a great buy. The saleswoman we had was not happy. Haha!

Besides dealing with the sales process, what I dislike most is the finance department with their bs sales pitches, and the fake family picture on the desk. I always researching financing outside of the dealership. With the 4Runner, I typically don’t buy extended warranties, but paid about half price on for a 10-year Toyota warranty by going out of state for it.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wow, now even God is messing with my vehicle shopping!

You know the vehicle I mentioned previously, the one that has absolutely everything I wanted (E-locker, heated seats, trailer brake controller, 36 gallon tank) and was at a great price? Well, I was in the area yesterday so I called the dealer and told him I wanted to come see it. I was pretty much ready to buy at that point but just wanted to do a final check. I called the "internet sales guy" I'd been exchanging emails with.

Internet salesman comes on the phone and says "yeah...about that. We had a major hailstorm two nights ago. Every vehicle on the lot is severely damaged. At this point we're not selling anything until we hear back from the insurance company."

?

So the search continues...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'm still unsure why you were looking at a used '18 for $35k when you can get a new '19 for the exact same price or cheaper.

:rolleyes: Because the 18 is fully loaded and the new truck is a base model stripper with nothing I want.

"New car smell" is not worth $5 - 6k to me.

If I wanted a stripped truck I could get one used for under $29k. But I don't want one that's stripped, if I have to live with this vehicle for the next 8 - 10 years I want it to have the features I want.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
:rolleyes: Because the 18 is fully loaded and the new truck is a base model stripper with nothing I want.

"New car smell" is not worth $5 - 6k to me.

If I wanted a stripped truck I could get one used for under $29k. But I don't want one that's stripped, if I have to live with this vehicle for the next 8 - 10 years I want it to have the features I want.

I thought you just wanted 2.7, 36 gal tank, heated seats (no leather) and a rear locker. Or are you wanting more options than that??

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
I must be the only sick one here, but I love the process of buying new (not used) vehicles. With the power of the interweb, as well as multiple apps, a better deal is always easy to find. Between KBB and NADA you know what your current vehicle is worth if you’re playing the trade game. The local dealer just needs to understand you’re willing to travel to get a better deal. I really love telling them it’s just a car/truck and not life or death. If I’m buying a new vehicle you can bet your butt I’m going to screw with the salesman to get the best deal I can, while enjoying every minute of it.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I thought you just wanted 2.7, 36 gal tank, heated seats (no leather) and a rear locker. Or are you wanting more options than that??

That plus the trailer brake controller. Nobody around here offers that combo for under $41k. The idiot salesmen keep asking me if I want to come out and look at their vehicles that have none of the features I want and are way over my price. It’s like they aren’t even listening to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cackalak Han

Explorer
That plus the trailer brake controller. Nobody around here offers that combo for under $41k. The idiot salesmen keep asking me if I want to come out and look at their vehicles that have none of the features I want and are way over my price. It’s like they aren’t even listening to me.

I know what you mean by the salesman. I had one guy try to sell me on a Lariat when I wanted a XL/STX. I told another guy exactly what I wanted, including all the options and his first words were, well, that’s the wrong truck for you. This is what you want. Morons.

Are you opposed to a 3.5? I got exactly what you want, except the 3.5 and no heated seats. One thing to remember is the 2.7 gets you 6,500lb GVWR which means about 1,400-1,500 Payload. 3.5 gets you about 2,000lbs. Also has the bigger 9.75” ring pinion as well.
STX gets you the bigger info screen (but the hideous 20” wheels I need to swap out).
I got about 23-24mpg on the freeway on the drive home. Not bad at all.

I had to travel a little bit but worth the trip.
Truck below has the max tow pkg, which has the trailer back up assist, trailer brake, 36 gal tank and rear locker. You could maybe get your local dealer to match pricing. Although I wasn’t able to.

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer

I just went through an interesting new vehicle process. We had been waffling the idea of cutting down car count and getting a multipurpose SUV for my wife to drive daily and me to haul stuff in a trailer. I decided that a 2019 Expedition could replace my F250 and her Highlander and we would be happier along the way.

The sales guy was super young, and it was obvious that I knew much more about cars in general than he did. After a few days of back and forth BS and emails from other sales people trying to box out the guy I was working with, he tried to run a 4-Square on me and talk me into an $89k car I wasn’t even close to interested in. I told him we were on different planets and showed him an Inventory listing for a truck on a competitors lot that was close, not perfect, but $46k and 7 miles away. Surprisingly, he listened, explained my request to his boss, and came back with a used model that was 1 year old and everything we wanted except for 1 option, priced lower than the competitors unit. I was surprised they were actually listening, and we made the deal. At the end of the night, we found out he really was young, only had 2 weeks experience, and we were his first sale. They made a big deal and had us get a group photo with him and the car. I’m sure they made more on a used car than they would have on a new one, but I’m happy, they’re happy... my wife is happy... win-win transaction from my point of view.

That was last night. Now, 500 miles later, I want to know why my Jeep doesn’t have an ECO-Boost 3.5 and 10-speed! That thing might spoil me... although it has approximately ZERO compression braking ability. Down mountain passes gets a little interesting.

There are salesmen that listen out there!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I envy all of you that can afford the luxury of new vehicle shopping. Unfortunately I do not have the budget for it nor the patience, last new car I bought was some 18 years ago. I prefer to buy used, put 100-200k miles on them, beat the living hell out of it, do absolutely no repairs and sell it for the same but usually more than what I paid for it. This keeps my vehicle expenses at fuel and insurance, and occasional oil change every 20-30k miles.

Not paying for insurance premium of a new vehicle, not paying monthly car payments and not paying for any repairs I save about $5-10,000 per year which is an extra 20-40,000 more miles I can put on my vehicles every year than everyone making payment.

As I said before, I envy all of you that are out shopping for new vehicles and greatly enjoy the stories, keep them coming.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I just went through an interesting new...process. .... I was surprised. At the end of the night, I’m happy, my wife is happy. That was last night. That...gets a little interesting. There are...men that listen out there!

There, hope you don’t mind, but I edited out the extraneous verbiage and fixed this for ya!?
(Sorry, could not resist starting my Sunday with a little bit of impish fun)

But in all seriousness,
“Are you opposed to a 3.5? I got exactly what you want, except the 3.5 and no heated seats. One thing to remember is the 2.7 gets you 6,500lb GVWR which means about 1,400-1,500 Payload. 3.5 gets you about 2,000lbs. I got about 23-24mpg on the freeway on the drive home. Not bad at all.”

You guys are starting to give me some second thoughts about buying a midsized truck. This above quoted Ford is sounding awfully darn tempting instead.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

The brake controller is really easy to add to any of the new F150s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles