Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
They come with like 12 keys. They do have spare keys available, you just need to know what key# you have. I have a ton of extras if you need one. Just need to know the mfg date as they changed key design a few times.
Mine came with two keys.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
New reply from Smittlybilt

New reply for the ticket #SB00159704

Michael,

It appears that we now do have a way of getting trailer keys. Please supply the key number off of the lock and the date of manufacture off the trailer. My apologies for jumping the gun on this one.

Thank you,

Chance Parks
Smittybilt Customer Support Team

misubisu

Where did you get the utensil holder on the door?
I made the utensil holders.
Hooks at the top and double sided velcro attached to 5mm marine ply painted black and attached to the door with 3m heavy duty double sided tape.
I've made pretty much everything on my trailer. I enjoy making things. Plus it's way cheaper than buying purpose built items.
It works great, as I've been over some very bumpy ground and nothing has ever come loose.

Attachments

• Wild Dog Weekend 10.jpg
    Wild Dog Weekend 10.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 192
  • Wild Dog Weekend 12.jpg
    Wild Dog Weekend 12.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 185

mfcoffroad

Lastly I had the rear receiver reinforced to accommodate a Wilco swing out tire carrier.
I do believe we need to mount the hitch receiver lower than the one that comes with the trailer. The Wilco actually raises into the swing of the door. I saw this with mine and have to replan my design

misubisu

I do believe we need to mount the hitch receiver lower than the one that comes with the trailer. The Wilco actually raises into the swing of the door. I saw this with mine and have to replan my design
I think you'll find that everyone that has fitted hitch mounted a swing out tyre carrier to the scout trailer has used a hitch drop. The size I made up was 95mm. the ones that can be purchased are 100mm (4 inch).
A 95mm drop is perfect for the door to clear the Yakima backswing.

Last edited:

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I think you'll find that everyone that has fitted a swing out tyre carrier to the scout trailer has used a hitch drop. The size I made up was 95mm. the ones that can be purchased are 100mm (4 inch).
A 95mm drop is perfect for the door to clear the Yakima backswing.

I did not use a hitch drop on mine.
Mine is permanent though and not a yakima style.
Pics can be found earlier in this thread

jojackc

I know we have quite a bit of Arizona guys on this post. If you are interested I started a Facebook group Called Arizona Rooftop Tents. I have a few buddies that have roof top tents that have joined so far. We plan on doing some group camp trips and stuff. One of the guys I made Admin who is a buddy from high school runs the Arizona forerunners group so hes gonna get them involved as well as long as they have a rooftop tent. If your interested in going send a request.

misubisu

I did not use a hitch drop on mine.
Mine is permanent though and not a yakima style.
Yep, I've better qualified my post by adding 'hitch mounted' to the swing out tyre carrier :)
I took the Yakima route as it was cheaper... I'm happy with the outcome and I've taken it over some rough terrain.
The other benefit of the hitch mounted method, is that it can be easily removed if required. Or just the wheel mount can be removed and a bike carrier (or something else) attached if required.

jojackc

Yep, I've better qualified my post by adding 'hitch mounted' to the swing out tyre carrier :)
I took the Yakima route as it was cheaper... I'm happy with the outcome and I've taken it over some rough terrain.
The other benefit of the hitch mounted method, is that it can be easily removed if required. Or just the wheel mount can be removed and a bike carrier (or something else) attached if required.

Does it look like it shakes around a lot? I did just a drop carrier. Its a bit in the way when you are getting things out of the back. But it does give me somewhere to stand to put the poles in the rain fly's lol. The only down side is man that thing moves around even when your just going down the freeway. So I have been running a tie down around the tire to the tie down eyes on the trailer to keep it from bouncing around so much.

OregonJKU

We just got back from our first trip after we made a few additions/changes to our trailer, all of which we are very happy with. We replaced our Smittybilt tent with a Roofnest hard shell, replaced the Smittybilt jockey wheel with the AO750, and we moved the stove drawer to the right side of the trailer and added a shelf.

Attachments

• IMG_20190813_133310-768x576.jpg
    IMG_20190813_133310-768x576.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20190813_172020-768x1024.jpg
    IMG_20190813_172020-768x1024.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_20190813_144910-768x576.jpg
    IMG_20190813_144910-768x576.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 199

misubisu

We just got back from our first trip after we made a few additions/changes to our trailer, all of which we are very happy with. We replaced our Smittybilt tent with a Roofnest hard shell, replaced the Smittybilt jockey wheel with the AO750, and we moved the stove drawer to the right side of the trailer and added a shelf.
Sweet setup. The Roofnest looks great.. I've never seen one before. Your wheel tyre combination looks good.
- Do you have pics of the other side of the trailer and of it all packed away?
- What do you use the space for that was the cooker location?
- Where is your spare (can't see if it's still on the tongue)?
- Any plans to fit an articulating hitch, or not planning on off-roading it?
Thanks for sharing.

OregonJKU

Sweet setup. The Roofnest looks great.. I've never seen one before. Your wheel tyre combination looks good.
- Do you have pics of the other side of the trailer and of it all packed away?
- What do you use the space for that was the cooker location?
- Where is your spare (can't see if it's still on the tongue)?
- Any plans to fit an articulating hitch, or not planning on off-roading it?
Thanks for sharing.
Thank you. We found the Roofnest during our search for a hard shell tent.
- Not much to see on the other side.
- We moved our battery to the left side cabinet.
- We don't carry a spare tire since we set up the trailer with the same size tires and wheels as our jeep.
- We have and use a lock-n-roll hitch when we go to dispersed campsites, and use the ball hitch if we're staying on paved roads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles