2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDROVER

Explorer
They expect 2.0 to tow 10.000 lb ? Lol
Funny how land rover buyers are bunch of delusional ppl, desperately holding on to old land rover image in there head and they believe in fake mews.

2.0 engine will never tow anything over 2000 lb if that,
bring that rover to Northern California let’s test that lie,
My new Tacoma is about 285 hp manual transmission, I can guarantee you it can’t tow anything over 4000 lb going over slight hills and that’s downshifting to 4 and even 3, its struggling, Tacoma weight is 4400 lb

It’s a shame that lamd river can lie straight up and even more shame that idiots believe in that.

blackangie

They expect 2.0 to tow 10.000 lb ? Lol
Funny how land rover buyers are bunch of delusional ppl, desperately holding on to old land rover image in there head and they believe in fake mews.

2.0 engine will never tow anything over 2000 lb if that,
bring that rover to Northern California let’s test that lie,
My new Tacoma is about 285 hp manual transmission, I can guarantee you it can’t tow anything over 4000 lb going over slight hills and that’s downshifting to 4 and even 3, its struggling, Tacoma weight is 4400 lb

It’s a shame that lamd river can lie straight up and even more shame that idiots believe in that.
What are you even doing on this thread?

If you can't add to the discussion with facts leave.

Nobody said anything about towing 10000 pounds.

Someone did mention a total of 10000 including the car, last time I checked you don't tow your own car with your engine.

And what is a lamd river?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blackangie

Looking good
075c22184b5de24863e42dad89ec71b1.jpg

Lemagus

There’s just too many keyboards and too many opinions out there these days... digits are cheap, but time (wasted) is precious.

Would be great to discuss the facts around the new Defender on this thread.

XJLI

Adventurer
My owner's manual in my D1 said I could tow up to 10k in an emergency under 30 MPH.

I'm a LOT more confident a brand new 2.0T can do that much weight than the 3.9 V8. I'm not a fan of the new Disco's styling at all but you are crazy if you aren't impressed by their abilities on and off road.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
First, a D1 may tow 10K in low range for a short distance but forget about towing even 5K at altitude without the revs running 3K and the engine eventually overheating.

As for the 2.0-liter PHEV engine I didn't say "tow 10K". I said "move" 10K which is vehicle + trailer. In any case a 2.0-liter engine is not going to perform very well towing 5K at altitude. It too will have to be up on the torque curve which means running in the upper rpm range and putting significant stress on the powertrain. I'll pass.

It feels like we are in the 1970's when significant emission control systems were added and vehicle performance went to hell as the subsystems were not well sorted and immature. It took near a decade to sort it out. PHEV / hybrid powertrains are an integration of small displacement ICE with battery limited EV technology. I'm thinking that is the worse of the overall solution timeline as EV energy storage technology improves and higher displacement ICE for long trips is spec'd. Likely the reason the new Defender is not a hybrid.

As for the poor Cars review of the RRS PHEV, that is disheartening. I would have expected LR to have sorted it out much better during development and testing. That says their financial issues are having an impact on overall design and product quality.

In addition to JLR's financial woes Tata is also under stress, encouraging more JLR partnerships and reacting to:

India's Car Market Just Crashed, Had Its Worst Month In 18 Years

Last edited:

blackangie

First, a D1 may tow 10K in low range for a short distance but forget about towing even 5K at altitude without the revs running 3K and the engine eventually overheating.

As for the 2.0-liter PHEV engine I didn't say "tow 10K". I said "move" 10K which is vehicle + trailer. In any case a 2.0-liter engine is not going to perform very well towing 5K at altitude. It too will have to be up on the torque curve which means running in the upper rpm range and putting significant stress on the powertrain. I'll pass.

It feels like we are in the 1970's when significant emission control systems were added and vehicle performance went to hell as the subsystems were not well sorted and immature. It took near a decade to sort it out. PHEV / hybrid powertrains are an integration of small displacement ICE with battery limited EV technology. I'm thinking that is the worse of the overall solution timeline as EV energy storage technology improves and higher displacement ICE for long trips is spec'd. Likely the reason the new Defender is not a hybrid.

As for the poor Cars review of the RRS PHEV, that is disheartening. I would have expected LR to have sorted it out much better during development and testing. That says their financial issues are having an impact on overall design and product quality.

In addition to JLR's financial woes Tata is also under stress, encouraging more JLR partnerships and reacting to:

India's Car Market Just Crashed, Had Its Worst Month In 18 Years

China JLR up 40%, JLR overall up 5%

A.J.M

Explorer
So many arm chair experts.

Having been in, driven, and off roaded the old defender in various engine models.
They are great for a toy and for off roading but are a pathetic on road model, noise levels, vibrations and poor ergonomics make it a very tiring place to cover any miles in.

One persons “easy to work on” is another persons pain in the ******** because it’s broken. Again.

It sold for many years with only engine and dash upgrades as and when forced by legislation, whereas the rivals had complete model changes to be modern and go with what the market and customers wanted.

They were expensive, unreliable, leak fluids like sieves, are easily stolen and outclassed in many ways by their rivals.
For the same price as an entry level 90 hardtop, you could buy a mid to high spec Hilux, run it for 5 years with basic servicing and no worries. Which is why my local energy company SSE, moves from defenders to Hiluxes.

This new one addresses the on road issues, it’s quiet, comfortable and refined, like its rivals.
They had to make the Land Rover off road course harder to give it a challenge, the same course all Land Rover models have been tested on for decades....
It’s been all over the world, in a variety of environments and tests that

Unlike the old one, it will have to pass crash tests, be pedestrian friendly, pass emission regulations, and still be sold worldwide to all markets.
A proper worlds car in a time when environmental concerns are getting louder and tougher.

Also, the new Jeep sat the NCAP tests and got 1 star. Out of 5. Because the car, at 30mph crushes into the cabin and injures the occupants. Which for a modern car is quite an achievement.

This new model to me sits as a happy half house from a defender and a Discovery 4.
Which is why myself and other discovery owners are excited as it could be an ideal replacement for current models in time.

mpinco

Expedition Leader

China JLR up 40%, JLR overall up 5%

Up from terrible numbers but still a financial mess.

Jaguar Land Rover swings back into the red as sales fall
FT
London JULY 25, 2019

Jaguar Land Rover has vowed to return to profit this year on the back of cost-cutting and new model launches, after swinging back into the red during the last quarter following falling sales in major markets. The group lost £395m in the three months to June, deeper than the £264m loss posted the same quarter a year earlier, and compared to a profit of £120m reported between January and March. Sales last quarter fell 12 per cent to 129,000, in part because of factory downtime the company booked in anticipation of Britain leaving the EU in April, while revenues slipped 2.8 per cent to £5.1bn............

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the 70's .......................

Jaguar I-Pace Sales Have Crashed, Dealer Inventory Exceeds 6 Month Supply
August 13th, 2019

"The Jaguar I-Pace is one helluva car. Do I say that because the company flew me to Portugal first class last year to drive one? Not at all. If it was a piece of crap I would say so, no matter how much money Jaguar Land Rover lavished on me.

The car is everything a Jaguar should be, says the man who once owned an XK-E coupe. It is big and bold yet elegant. Its controls are silky smooth but when you mash the go pedal, it devours huge hunks of pavement in what seems like milliseconds. The closest analogy I can give is that when prodded, the scenery starts streaking by your windows in a heartbeat. It’s like making the jump to hyperspace!...........

Dealer i-Pace inventory is piling up, standing at 6 month of sales.

Discounts are reaching biblical proportions.

..........Be that as it may, sales of the I-Pace have been, ummm, disappointing. According to Inside EVs, “During the first six months of this year, Jaguar sold some 9,077 I-PACE, including 1,309 in the U.S., but according to the latest news, dealers in the U.S. have 1,338 I-PACE in inventory. That would be worth six months of sales of a car that has been available for just 9 months.” Oh, my. The I-Pace is hardly flying off the lot, is it? .......

.......According to all reports, its graphic interface is slow and clunky. Not only that, it is not terribly efficient. In fact, just last week Jaguar Land Rover was touting its new app designed to let drivers know just how far they can go before recharging and where to find chargers along the route.

Sadly, that same app shows that the only way to get the maximum stated range of 292 miles is to drive at a steady 17 mph with no air conditioning or heat and riding on the standard 18″ wheels. That’s the best case scenario. The worst case scenario is cruising along at highway speeds on the optional 21″ wheels with the A/C or heat cranked up. Under those circumstances, the app says to expect about 121 miles — just 41% of the theoretical maximum range. Yikes!
............."

Welcome back Kotter!

Edit add: I actually don't think the drop in range to 41% of theoretical is necessarily a JLR issue. It is the maturity and limitations of today's EV technology.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles