Cracks on James Baroud Evasion

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
I literally forwarded you an email again this week where we told you they were demo tents for a Canadian customer and when we tried to get them picked up you refused. The also sat at your warehouse for nearly a year where you could have easily checked the condition or asked about them. You paid us pennies on the dollar for them and now are blaming us for this mishap?

Can we cut the drama and move on? I would appreciate it.
I’m done. I’ve done and said everything I can if it continues then so be it. I’m sorry for the drama I just have a very hard time sitting idly by while someone slanders myself or our shop.

I hope ya’ll have a great weekend!

Likewise, literally all you have posted lately is against alu-cab and ourselves. Give it up man.

I<3adventure

Who should I contact about a warranty issue with my Evasion? I dealt with Craig Davidson
@ JB who put me in touch with Christie at OK4WD for the purchase last February.
I will say that I agree with the Adventure rep about the craftsmanship, once you get inside and really start looking at the amount of work and detail that it takes to put this thing together, it’s very impressive!
The solar fan and the detachable led light are also great features. The 360% view is amazing when you’re camping on a beach with your family! We did a ton of research before our purchase and a big factor in the purchase was the 5 year warranty. Yes, you always hope to never use it, but it is a HUGE piece of mind and helped get my wife onboard with the JB purchase. We love it and at this point wouldn’t hesitate to recommend JB and the Evasion to anyone looking.

Attachments

• 50458D6A-3E00-4173-BB2F-0375F14F6F01.jpeg
    50458D6A-3E00-4173-BB2F-0375F14F6F01.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 25

threplogle

[QUOTE="I@ JB who put me in touch with Christie at OK4WD for the purchase last February.
I will say that I agree with the Adventure rep about the craftsmanship, once you get inside and really start looking at the amount of work and detail that it takes to put this thing together, it’s very impressive!
The solar fan and the detachable led light are also great features. The 360% view is amazing when you’re camping on a beach with your family! We did a ton of research before our purchase and a big factor in the purchase was the 5 year warranty. Yes, you always hope to never use it, but it is a HUGE piece of mind and helped get my wife onboard with the JB purchase. We love it and at this point wouldn’t hesitate to recommend JB and the Evasion to anyone looking.[/QUOTE]

Initially I contacted the shop I purchased my tent from, but then ended up working with the original US distributor and finally the current distributor, Adventure Ready. My issue is yet to be resolved but I’m associating the “charley foxtrot”to the change in distributor and the obvious unprofessional issues the two companies (not really know who is at fault...and really don’t give a ********) have had towards each other. I think (hope) that once the new distributor gets their ducks in a row, things will be smoother for warranty issues.

I agree with you that JB makes a great tent and there is nothing else on the market that meets my needs. Looking forward to finally getting my issue resolved. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADVSubaru

Observer
Who should I contact about a warranty issue with my Evasion? I dealt with Craig Davidson
@ JB who put me in touch with Christie at OK4WD for the purchase last February.
The solar fan and the detachable led light are also great features. The 360% view is amazing when you’re camping on a beach with your family! We did a ton of research before our purchase and a big factor in the purchase was the 5 year warranty. Yes, you always hope to never use it, but it is a HUGE piece of mind and helped get my wife onboard with the JB purchase. We love it and at this point wouldn’t hesitate to recommend JB and the Evasion to anyone looking.

Hi I<3adventure, I'm glad you've been enjoying the tent! You will have to get in touch with Adventure Ready for warranties. I think many people are at Overland Expo and I didn't want you to wait to get a response.

Edit: You may have to contact James Baroud directly at infos@jamesbaroud.com as instructed on their website at https://www.jamesbaroud.com/en/http-www-jamesbaroud-com-2/ but I would reach out to Adventure Ready first.

Last edited:

I<3adventure

Thanks for the quick replies gentleman! I can’t believe your warranty issue hasn’t been resolved yet!
I’m hopeful that mine will be taken care of quickly.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
AutoHome has more than 60 years of experience in designing and building hard shell roof top tents from fiberglass. My company has been representing them in the USA for more than 15 years. This has been a quality experience for us. I have spent time in their manufacturing plant in Northern Italy and observed the techniques that they use in buildng their products entirely in-house. I feel qualified to offer an opinion on some of what has been posted here.

1. We offer RTTs made with both fiberglass and carbon fiber shells. Fiberglass is the best material to build these products. It has more positive properties that other, alternative materials. It is superior to carbon fiber in that it is much less expensive... just somewhat heavier.

2. Cracks in fiberglass can be from several causes and may be cosmetic or structural. Quality shells that are laid up in molds from single, continuous sheets of fiberglass fabric and roving - using epoxy resins - after a release compound and correct amounts of gelcoat have been applied to the mold seldom have structural cracks unless from impacts or overloading the tent prior to lowering and securing the shell. They are actually fairly rare.

3. Of the gelcoat cracks that we have seen happen in our tents usually appear after years of use and are largely cosmetic. I believe that climate, use and UV exposure play a large part in this. These cracks, unless the result of some misadventure, are always cosmetic. They can be removed with a gelcoat kit from one of several marine products manufacturers.

I do not claim to know a lot about J Baroud's manufacturing - their supply sources, materials, or assembly techniques so i cannot comment on this subject.

I<3adventure

Well, so far not so good. Today marks one week since I sent the information into James Baroud like it says on their website. I also submitted proof of purchase and pictures of the cracks. I have heard absolutely ZERO by way of email or a phone call, just crickets.
I don’t know of any business where not responding to customers is an acceptable practice. I’m a very patient person but I will start making phone calls tomorrow.

Well, so far not so good. Today marks one week since I sent the information into James Baroud like it says on their website. I also submitted proof of purchase and pictures of the cracks. I have heard absolutely ZERO by way of email or a phone call, just crickets.
I don’t know of any business where not responding to customers is an acceptable practice. I’m a very patient person but I will start making phone calls tomorrow.

Call us tomorrow

I reached out to Antonio in Portugal recently because my tent has warranty issues. One of the things I asked about was if it was true that OK4WD lost their "dealership rights". I mentioned the USA website and that all tents were showing out of stock. I talked about the tent problem I have and thought I was going to get some answers. He has not contacted me since I sent him the pictures he asked for and the emails between myself and Craig Davidson. That was on July 27. The tent is a piece of art, but mine has issues. Hard to believe that the Baroud tent has only one American dealership left. The tent was installed in January. Took my first trip in April. Stopped at TAV 4 Wheel Drive while on the trip. They were honest and helpful and did sort of a temporary workaround. Getting home in May I have had no success with the tent's warranty issue. Can you help Adventure Ready?

Last edited:
Contacting Adventure-Ready today. Will update. At this point, I can't recommend the tent. There is no customer service, none. Warranty? What's that?

I had a completely different issue and JBUSA went above and beyond IMO to take care of me quickly so as to not impact a planned family trip.

My first RTT so I don't have a big comparison base for the product itself - but NOT my first rodeo with needing customer support from a company, and JB was top notch in that regard.
Hi Krick3tt,
Can I ask who you worked with on your warranty issue? Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles