Real MPGs for your rig?

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
...Just wondering if the size of ambulance is making the difference in our mpg or if there is something else going on.
7dabfd0ecaae145a397334a15802ab9b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You have the less aerodynamic front end and a taller box. He has a 5R transmission, do you? His frontend fits an intercooler too.

I've only ever driven 2 ambulances but they were both like 1% throttle movement away from TCC unlocking when it did finally lockup. I think a TCC mod would payoff big time in one on the highway.

Gooseberry

Explorer
2000 rb 7.3 and get 14 mph on average and I’m 10k in weight. I run 80 at 2000 rpm most the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
2000 rb 7.3 and get 14 mph on average and I’m 10k in weight. I run 80 at 2000 rpm most the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a comparison. Likely intercooler is the big difference.

2002 F350 CC DRW 7.3 4R100 3.73 235/85-16s

16 mpg pulling 2,000 of trailer at 80 mph which is over 2k rpm, maybe 2,200 IIRC

oddball4x4

You have the less aerodynamic front end and a taller box. He has a 5R transmission, do you? His frontend fits an intercooler too.

I've only ever driven 2 ambulances but they were both like 1% throttle movement away from TCC unlocking when it did finally lockup. I think a TCC mod would payoff big time in one on the highway.
Transmission is a 5r and I do have an intercooler on mine as well.

Is the newer front end really that much more aerodynamic? Or are you referring to the difference in the ambulance box sizes?

That's a good point about the TCC, I will have to double check its status while cruising on the highway. Although I kinda doubt that it is unlocked while cruising because I'm not pushing the van very hard. It definatly has more power to accelerate just doesnt seem to have the gear.

iggi

Ian
Hi @oddball4x4

1. According the the gear calculator I'm running 2343 rpm at 70mph. (I've got a 4.11 rear end)
2. Not sure on total weight.

Adding a couple thousand lbs of furniture and books didn't significantly change the economy so I suspect part of the difference is the box height and aerodynamics of the box. Crestline (builders of my module) claim their ambulances get the best fuel economy due to the aero corners.

There might be differences also due to my 6.0 being a 2009.

Cheers,
Ian

Iggi, 2 questions for you...

1. What rpm are you running at 70mph?
2. How heavy is your rig?

I have a 2006 e450 6.0l ambo currently averaging around 12.5mpg cruising between 65-68mph. When I cruise at 70 mph the engine spins at 2500rpm. Current weight is right at 11,000lbs.

Just wondering if the size of ambulance is making the difference in our mpg or if there is something else going on.

iggi

Ian
Just a comparison. Likely intercooler is the big difference.

2002 F350 CC DRW 7.3 4R100 3.73 235/85-16s

16 mpg pulling 2,000 of trailer at 80 mph which is over 2k rpm, maybe 2,200 IIRC
hmmm.. that makes me think again but regearing to 3.73

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
hmmm.. that makes me think again but regearing to 3.73

Same trip, first leg, 15mpg with 2k trailer and 1,800lb load. Loss was likely due mostly to additional air resistance when loaded, not weight. 34 ft 5th wheel camper can be pulled at 15mpg on the same roads but usually is 13mpg due to speeds. When you can run 80 mph, why wouldn't you? #eyeroll

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
2004 E-150 5.4 3.55 gears, LT245/75/16 LR C AT3's - 8 passenger van 13 City / 14.5 highway

Dude, something's wrong. How many miles are on your spark plugs? How aggressively do you drive?

I mention spark plugs because I know of a couple Ford mod motors that have seen 2-3 mpg improvements from fresh plugs after 100k miles.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Dude, something's wrong. How many miles are on your spark plugs? How aggressively do you drive?

I mention spark plugs because I know of a couple Ford mod motors that have seen 2-3 mpg improvements from fresh plugs after 100k miles.

As much as manufacturers claim they are good for xxx,xxx miles... they are often well past their prime before the service interval. When I changed mine in my youngest car I noticed a big difference. Next time I’ll change them at 1/2 the service interval... I’m sure it’ll pay off in improved mpg over 50k miles.

Yes I figured- Already have replacement spark plugs in hand- trying to find the time to replace them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles