Sure-Fire Ways to Improve Your Roof Top Tent

Yes, I deflate them when I close up the tent. It adds an additional step for setup and take down, but it's still easier than having to setup a ground tent. I use a Colman rechargeable air pump to both inflate and deflate the pads. I have 110v on board my truck to charge between uses.
Sweet! I just use the supplied slow hand pump, going to have to try that out. By far the most comfortable sleep pad ever!

sned

The dog tie downs are good idea. I normally use 6" or 8" lag bolts and cordless drill to bolt stuff to the ground.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Any recommendations for new USB rechargeable Fans?

I have one of the old D-cell Coleman models and it eats batteries pretty quick. Having something that could be recharged each day would be ideal.

roving1

I have one of the old D-cell Coleman models and it eats batteries pretty quick. Having something that could be recharged each day would be ideal.
USB fans and rechargeable power bricks. I have run USB fans for literally 48 hours straight on a 20,000 mah and not killed it. Plus it charges all your phones.

Or get rechargeable lithium batteries.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190803-155413.png
    Screenshot_20190803-155413.png
    837 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_20190803-155317.png
    Screenshot_20190803-155317.png
    752.5 KB · Views: 121

One shot

Observer

I used this with rechargeable battery pack as above.
cd2b2334f9eefacec7f082a4fdb70e01.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jb10

what did you use to make this easy for your dog to get in and out of your rtt? pics are not showing up

I've always taken my dogs with me camping... however they were always small enough to lift up into the tent. The 1st week of this past August I'd adopted another pup. Only this time she is a 3 yr. 90 lb. Rottweiler. Way too much for this old man to lift up & down as needed. So I decided to make a ramp to place over the ladder for her to go in & out as needed. I remove the ramp & move the ladder back into a support position for me to get in the tent. I'm thinking about contacting Tepui to see about purchasing a 2nd ladder that I could add & remove to the other side. I would leave it connected while at camp for Sara to enter & leave as she needs... of course it will be removed during transport. :)

20151018_080115_HDR_zpshahjosqr.jpg

20151018_203108_HDR_zpshcl2rm7o.jpg

Mykh

Outdoor Party Animal
what did you use to make this easy for your dog to get in and out of your rtt? pics are not showing up

Not mine, but I've seen pictures of people attaching a ramp to the non-ladder side of the tent (simple plywood and hinges, hooked near the opening). The other option is to throw a yoga mat or two over your windshield/hood to let them get up onto the roof and then in the side windows.

gxout

I was watching the video on the Treehouse tents that has a folding bar that goes over the annex (Youtube: Why Would I Choose Treeline?) and it appears they use a simple pipe hinge to allows the bar to stay connected. Has anyone tried this yet? It looks like a very simple solution and the hinges are about $15 on amazon (Link).

yotes65

Observer
Not mine, but I've seen pictures of people attaching a ramp to the non-ladder side of the tent (simple plywood and hinges, hooked near the opening). The other option is to throw a yoga mat or two over your windshield/hood to let them get up onto the roof and then in the side windows.
That's what I'd did... created a foldable 9ft plywood ramp covered with outdoor grass for my pup to be able to have some traction... sorry my pics don't populate anymore. I dont use Photobucket any more.

There are a couple pictures in my Instagram feed @k9overlanding around June 2017, October 2016 and October 2015.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190909-204829_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20190909-204829_Instagram.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 169
  • Screenshot_20190909-204726_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20190909-204726_Instagram.jpg
    875.9 KB · Views: 165
  • Screenshot_20190909-204548_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20190909-204548_Instagram.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 157
  • Screenshot_20190909-204659_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20190909-204659_Instagram.jpg
    897.4 KB · Views: 156

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I'm going to start modifying the Autohome Columbus Variant that I just mounted in the Garvin Wilderness and posted up here: https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/automhome-columbus-variant-review.206123/

There are few things I want to do right away.
  • Mount a Shoe Bag Gimp on the Rack since there is no good place for the shoes. (I plan on using the Yakima bag)
  • Route power up into the tent
  • Improve lighting in the tent
  • Mount an Overland Solar semi flexible panel to the center rib
As I do this I'll post up my findings in both places.

Mykh

Outdoor Party Animal
That's what I'd did... created a foldable 9ft plywood ramp covered with outdoor grass for my pup to be able to have some traction... sorry my pics don't populate anymore. I dont use Photobucket any more.

There are a couple pictures in my Instagram feed @k9overlanding around June 2017, October 2016 and October 2015.
Awesome!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles