The 5-ton conversion - So far ...

jcdostie

Hi Buffalobwana,
I find you here and your project is very similar to mine.
I will make a new post of my project here also and keep following you.

JC

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
I'll save you some time on the RTX 2000. Dometic does not sell it in the USA (went round and round on that one). I have one on order/back order from a small company in Spain. Should ship in the 18th. Total cost with the AC, Universal interior kit and battery connect and shipping came in around $2300. PM me if you want the order info, the guy in Spain speaks pretty good english. Oh, I also tried several Australian sources and they were not willing to ship or it was crazy expensive.

Buffalobwana

Observer
I'll save you some time on the RTX 2000. Dometic does not sell it in the USA (went round and round on that one). I have one on order/back order from a small company in Spain. Should ship in the 18th. Total cost with the AC, Universal interior kit and battery connect and shipping came in around $2300. PM me if you want the order info, the guy in Spain speaks pretty good english. Oh, I also tried several Australian sources and they were not willing to ship or it was crazy expensive.
Eh. Figured. When all I could find was Australian dealers, I figured I might as well go with a 240v split like a Mitsubishi or something similar. Seems to be a popular choice.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I need to do a write up on this, but, based now on two years of experience in the US, I am floating a new model.

-- Get a 110v A/C of the correct size for your camper. If you are in the soggy south or blazing southwest, you are looking at hours of humidity and heat. If you really have to deal with this, you are going to a commercial campsite with power. Period.

-- Install a soft start capacitor to your A/C and size your inverter to handle the load. This will allow you to run on batteries for a few hours, if needed.

-- If you need overnight cool in the bush, carry an inverter/generator of the appropriate size.

This is based largely on two factors:

-- Even with 600w of solar and a 40A battery to battery charger, we cannot run the A/C all day when driving - we are typically about 100 Ah down. Granted, this is in 90F+, but I would have expected that with up to 30A of solar, we would have done better. Part of the problem, in our case, is that we have a 100w alternator @ 24v and a 24v, 12,000BTU A/C in a cab with a lot of glass. But, the bottom line is that the camper can be well over 90F when we stop for the night.

-- When plugged in, the inverter/charger quickly ramps up to around 90A of output to carry the A/C and recharge the batteries. This translates to a transformer temp of over 150F inside the cooled space. Sooooo, makes it worth the effort to try to mount your inverter/charger outside of the camper shell.

Obviously, there are many, many variables in all of this, but, offered for your consideration.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Thanks. Good info to have.

My model is a 24v system, bc the components I have happen to be 24v. Two 3000 watt Outback pure sine wave inverters, to make 240v for a split AC system, and a 28v 3000 watt diesel generator.

The generator charges the batteries directly and feeds the inverter. Shore power hookups which would charge the batteries to run the AC.

The biggest expense left to buy are the batteries, and AC system which I do not have yet.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Had I designed the system on my truck, I would have stayed with 24v at the battery/charger/solar level and simply used an equalizer to produce 13.5v for the "12v" loads. But when I got the truck, I had a 24v truck trying to charge a 12v AGM bank with a 13.5 equalizer.

I now use a 24v to 12v B2B and that works well, but the total output is only 40A. And the 24v cab A/C is probably pulling 20-30A when running. So that is a fair load for a 24v/100A alternator.

One of our Australian members claims some great performance with a 220v split unit running with solar in 30C weather. I have not achieved such a Holy Grail. ?

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
I need to do a write up on this, but, based now on two years of experience in the US, I am floating a new model.

-- Get a 110v A/C of the correct size for your camper. If you are in the soggy south or blazing southwest, you are looking at hours of humidity and heat. If you really have to deal with this, you are going to a commercial campsite with power. Period.

-- Install a soft start capacitor to your A/C and size your inverter to handle the load. This will allow you to run on batteries for a few hours, if needed.

-- If you need overnight cool in the bush, carry an inverter/generator of the appropriate size.

This is based largely on two factors:

-- Even with 600w of solar and a 40A battery to battery charger, we cannot run the A/C all day when driving - we are typically about 100 Ah down. Granted, this is in 90F+, but I would have expected that with up to 30A of solar, we would have done better. Part of the problem, in our case, is that we have a 100w alternator @ 24v and a 24v, 12,000BTU A/C in a cab with a lot of glass. But, the bottom line is that the camper can be well over 90F when we stop for the night.

-- When plugged in, the inverter/charger quickly ramps up to around 90A of output to carry the A/C and recharge the batteries. This translates to a transformer temp of over 150F inside the cooled space. Sooooo, makes it worth the effort to try to mount your inverter/charger outside of the camper shell.

Obviously, there are many, many variables in all of this, but, offered for your consideration.
I think this is pretty good advice. Our plan
-- 110v Coleman Polar Cub with soft start for the habitat (it is already on the roof minus the soft start, need to order that), just the 9k btu unit but I think it will be ok given how well the box is insulated. Plus the smaller size is supposed to run with a 2000 watt generator if a soft start is installed.
-- building under habitat storage for our Honda 2000 generator
-- 1000 watts of solar feeding 400Ah LifePO4 battery back (possible the panels will get installed this weekend!)
-- Charger is mounted inside the habitat, just too nervous to mount it outside in the elements. I know the boat charger does heat up when at full boogie. The LifePo4 battery pack will push the charger hard. I might need to consider a thru floor vent, much like I put in for the composting head. Will see how it goes. A small muffin fan can move a bit of air without a huge power draw, could even get fancy and make it thermostatically controlled.

We also have a Sterling 24v to 12v B2B charger that can potentially put 70 amps into the 12v bank which will generate heat but the plan is to put it in the same compartment as the inverter/charger so venting that would take care of that also.

Third

Love this thread. I'm hoping to kick my build into full gear after the first of the year.

For generators, I originally purchased a (NOS) surplus 3500w 24v battery charger. My goal was to only carry diesel. Sadly, GovPlanet "lost" my item and refunded me. But I was able to find the same engine (Yanmar L100) on a 6000k generator with a bad power head.

I'm still debating if I want to use a generator powerhead or a 24v 3500w charging head (I know a fellow doing a build with the later so I'm hoping he can get that done asap so I can read how it worked out). I'm also upping my 100amp alternator to a HMMWV 200amp which should help out a lot while on the road. Adding solar (unsure of the amount yet) and a little wind charger for days around my area (it blows all year long on the Texas coast).

Enjoy watching this build, though !

Buffalobwana

Observer
Love this thread. I'm hoping to kick my build into full gear after the first of the year.

For generators, I originally purchased a (NOS) surplus 3500w 24v battery charger. My goal was to only carry diesel. Sadly, GovPlanet "lost" my item and refunded me. But I was able to find the same engine (Yanmar L100) on a 6000k generator with a bad power head.

I'm still debating if I want to use a generator powerhead or a 24v 3500w charging head (I know a fellow doing a build with the later so I'm hoping he can get that done asap so I can read how it worked out). I'm also upping my 100amp alternator to a HMMWV 200amp which should help out a lot while on the road. Adding solar (unsure of the amount yet) and a little wind charger for days around my area (it blows all year long on the Texas coast).

Enjoy watching this build, though !
I bought the exact generator you are talking about. It’s a beast! It’s much larger in real life than it looks on the auction site.

It’s a cool unit. I like the electric start on it. I’d hate to pull start this thing.

I noticed the units coming out of NV and Chicago have the remote box that can be mounted inside. You can roll over in the middle of the night and start/stop the generator from your bunk.

I also noticed the prices dropped significantly on these after I bought mine. :(

jcdostie

Any news on your project ? I’m still stuck with Government laws for speed limit, but I’m working on the plans

JC

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online