Tundra vs F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 9101

I think Scotty at Addicted Offroad had a write up about the 4th gen 4Runner sport rotors, somewhere. Is that similar to what you did?

Yep, it's pretty easy to do if you just take your time and be very careful when you modify the calipers.

Boatbuilder79

Have you actually towed (significant weight) with either chassis? I am curious, because I am looking to pick up an F150. I thought it towed very well (5k lbs), but never towed anything more than that. There are lots of people "mag racing" these trucks. I wanted to get some real world experience. I am a long-time Toyota owner, but for the next truck, I am leaning Ford. (And that's between the F150 and Ram. Tundra really isn't being considered).

I have a 2015 f150 5.0 4x4 with the tow package. It is rated to tow 9100 pounds.

I regularly tow a boat that is over 5k pounds. I also have a 7k pound utility trailer and loaded down it pulls easier than the boat at highway speeds.

I have pulled a 6700 pound tractor on a low boy with it that was probably over the weight but only on 2 lane roads at low speeds.

In stock form it felt really soft I installed an add a leaf and bilstein 5100 shocks front and rear and it really helped.

You really NEED good working trailer brakes with this truck.

Also make sure you get the 36 gallon tank. I made sure I got the heavy duty towing package but did not realize I got the small gas tank until my first trip pulling my boat to the beach. I had to buy the bigger tank and swap it in my driveway.

Last edited:

Neosapian

Innate Outdoor Co
As time progresses into the near future I do believe an increasing number of full size "Overland" truck owners will be jumping ship to domestic brands, namely Ford and Ram, for their long range expedition builds and daily driving needs. I think this thread - at 45 pages - is actually pretty darn useful for those growing number of people who are on the fence or tired of waiting for Toyota to modernize their trucks.

I am excited to see how quickly F-150 resale value falls into more reasonable territory. I dont think anybody else has really touched on the elephant in the room... F150 pricing. $65k+ for an optioned up 1/2 ton!?! Sorry, but again I'm forced to look at Ram's 1500 and even 2500 offerings on the brand new market, or lightly used 1 Ton diesels from any of the big 3.

I appreciate the excellence of the F150's drivetrains, especially the 3.5... I appreciate the design and technical capabilities of the platform. I actually have growing faith in the truck's longevity as well... I just can't wrap my head around the sticker price of these trucks... Ford offers so many features and packages that it's price schedule stretches clear across 3/4 and 1 Ton truck segments, but at the end of the day, its still a 1/2 ton. Can anybody help me understand the F-150 value proposition? Am I being dramatic?

Last edited:

Boatbuilder79

As time progresses into the near future I do believe many intelligent, reasonable and reputable full size "Overland" truck owners will be jumping ship to domestic brands, namely Ford and Ram, for their long range expedition builds and daily driving needs. I think this thread - at 45 pages - is actually pretty darn useful for those growing number of people who are on the fence or tired of waiting for Toyota to modernize their trucks.

I am excited to see how quickly F-150 resale value falls into more reasonable territory. I dont think anybody else has really touched on the elephant in the room... F150 pricing. $65k+ for an optioned up 1/2 ton!?! Sorry, but again I'm forced to look at Ram's 1500 and even 2500 offerings on the brand new market, or lightly used 1 Ton diesels from any of the big 3.

I appreciate the excellence of the F150's drivetrains, especially the 3.5... I appreciate the design and technical capabilities of the platform. I actually have growing faith in the truck's longevity as well... I just can't wrap my head around the sticker price of these trucks... Ford offers so many features and packages that it's price schedule stretches clear across 3/4 and 1 Ton truck segments, but at the end of the day, its still a 1/2 ton. Can anybody help me understand the F-150 value proposition? Am I being dramatic?

Ford is really bad about inflating their sticker price and then having a “sale” they will come off it a lot.

Look at the xl and xlt trims. The electronic stuff really drives the price up.

NEVER go into the dealer without having the financing lined up first.

D

Deleted member 9101

As time progresses into the near future I do believe an increasing number of full size "Overland" truck owners will be jumping ship to domestic brands, namely Ford and Ram, for their long range expedition builds and daily driving needs. I think this thread - at 45 pages - is actually pretty darn useful for those growing number of people who are on the fence or tired of waiting for Toyota to modernize their trucks.

Mine was 32k out the door... My brothers was over 70k... It all depends on which one you buy. You can easily get a super crew, 4x4, XLT for under 40k with out even haggling the dealership.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
at the end of the day, its still a 1/2 ton. Can anybody help me understand the F-150 value proposition? Am I being dramatic?

I find that optioned out High Country Silverados, GMC Denalis and Ram limited are priced similar.

Mine was 32k out the door... My brothers was over 70k... It all depends on which one you buy. You can easily get a super crew, 4x4, XLT for under 40k with out even haggling the dealership.
Yup. Any truck can get pricey when you start tacking on options. Regardless of the manufacturer.

Dalko43

Explorer
False... neither factory designed nor warrantied. They were all build/designed by Magnusson and warrantied *ONLY* if installed by a dealer.

And many... many of said engines had major issues, especially in the 3.4, due to fueling problems. And note also, Toyota stopped offering them years ago.

The superchargers were offered with TRD logo's and 3 year/36k miles warranties (when installed by a dealer)....even if the designs were derived from Magnusson, I highly doubt Toyota would allow them to be sold with TRD badging and extended warranties without having some say in their development.

3.4 may have had issues, the 4.0l's held up just fine. They're overbuilt as they come from the factory.

You keep saying stuff like this but never back it up.... proof points, please.

I have provided proof points (bigger brakes, bigger rear diff, bigger tow hitch components, lower gearing)...you just don't seem to consider any of them valid...which is fine.

1. You keep making these claims about the F150... Yet you seem to be lacking in the proof department. I have owned both and had 2 F150s as work trucks. Can you speak from the same experience, I'm guessing the answer is no.

2. The Tundra has a longer 60-0 stopping distance than the F150. As someone who has owned and towed with both trucks, I can say with absolute certainty that the size of the rotor is irrelevant, the F150 has better brakes. I never once said that the Tundra has a problem stopping, rather the F150 does it in a shorter distance. In fact, all I have said about every difference between the two is that the F150 is better, I never once said that the Tundra was subpar. The Tundra was a great truck when the second gen came out, now its just average when compared to newer designs.

3. The motor in the Ranger has a forged crank, rods, and pistons. The block is extremely dense and the cylinder walls are very hard. The head bolts are spaced very close together and the cooling and oiling systems are phenomenal. I'm guessing that you have zero first hand experience with them and have never once contact a company like Brew City Boost to see exactly what those motors are capable of. There is no shortage of modified Mustang that are beat on as daily drivers and have zero issues. Im fact, I know of one running low 11s in the 1/4 and the guy drives it to work Monday-Friday.

4. When it comes down to it, a small army of engineers and lawyers felt confident enough to sign off on the capabilities of the F150, I'll take my personal experience and their willingness to accept liability over your "word" any day.

It seems that your "experience" is no more credible than mine. I've driven both as well. The Tundra did not "feel" any less capable when towing similar loads than did the F-150...but we're well beyond objective stats comparison at this point.

The F-150 can no doubt stop in a shorter distance, when empty...it's a lighter truck. The relevant question is how both (Tundra and F-150) compare when towing and stopping a heavy load.

As for the tunability of the 2.3l ecoboost...that's great to hear that the tuner and mustang crowds are having fun with it. High horsepower engine tuning and overlanding really don't belong in the same sentence...but if you want to test the waters, go right ahead.

bkg

Explorer
I have provided proof points (bigger brakes, bigger rear diff, bigger tow hitch components, lower gearing)...you just don't seem to consider any of them valid...which is fine.

Your statement that the ford frame is 1/2 ton and the Tundra closer to 3/4 ton has no proof points behind them.

And since the tundra is down one lug nut, clearly that would invalidate your claims that more is better, right?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
You can see the two frames here. It's pretty darn obvious which one is stronger:

And Tundra frame = 3/4 ton frame might be true of a 1979 Chevy. But that's the dumbest assumption I've heard in a while. Line it up next to a '17+ 250/350/450 frame. The difference is comical.

If you really care about brakes and frame size, go 250. You might want to consider the advice of technicians that work for dealers that sell both. It's not uncommon where I'm at, for dealers to own a whole city and most brands are on one giant lot. They'll be more than glad to park each truck next to each other for you to drive and check out.

Last edited:

Huntv

Actually to the contrary I think these 45 pages are pretty useless. Anytime you have a this vs. that thread you have all the experts come out of the woodwork to chime in. The best thing the op could have done was read the tundra forums and f150 forums and see what common issues exist with each model. Ask Tundra owners what they like/dislike, then the same with F150 owners. The worst thing you can do is go on to a forum and create a pissing match. See all diesel vs. gas threads! There are 3 types of people in the Toyota section: Toyota fans, Toyota haters, and everyone in between. The most likely to chime in will be the fans and the haters so your feedback will be very biased either way. Just sayin.

BTW Toyota makes the best vehicles in every category, hands down!!!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Actually to the contrary I think these 45 pages are pretty useless. Anytime you have a this vs. that thread you have all the experts come out of the woodwork to chime in. The best thing the op could have done was read the tundra forums and f150 forums and see what common issues exist with each model. Ask Tundra owners what they like/dislike, then the same with F150 owners. The worst thing you can do is go on to a forum and create a pissing match. See all diesel vs. gas threads! There are 3 types of people in the Toyota section: Toyota fans, Toyota haters, and everyone in between. The most likely to chime in will be the fans and the haters so your feedback will be very biased either way. Just sayin.

BTW Toyota makes the best vehicles in every category, hands down!!!
Agreed. But I'm going to go start a Ram vs Silverado thread anyway....

RJ Howell

I am very late to this party and I'm not about to go through 44 pages of this.

I own a 2018 Tacoma SR5 and love it's ability for what it does. I currently tow a brand name trailer and have talked to those that tow the same with the 1/2 ton Tundra. If you want a bigger space and 8 gallons less a mile, go for it. I have also spoken to F-150 V6 turbo owners that get the same mileage as I do. I tow 3200lbs loaded. Take this as you wish, but I'll be building a lighter trailer and buying a V6 F150 turbo to tow it with. MHO

tacollie

Glamper
I am very late to this party and I'm not about to go through 44 pages of this.

I own a 2018 Tacoma SR5 and love it's ability for what it does. I currently tow a brand name trailer and have talked to those that tow the same with the 1/2 ton Tundra. If you want a bigger space and 8 gallons less a mile, go for it. I have also spoken to F-150 V6 turbo owners that get the same mileage as I do. I tow 3200lbs loaded. Take this as you wish, but I'll be building a lighter trailer and buying a V6 F150 turbo to tow it with. MHO
What mpg are you getting with your Tacoma towing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles