Gasoline vs. Propane appliances? Which is a better way to go?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Propane weighs 44.1 grams per mole. Water weighs 18 grams per mole. Propane is C3H8, water is H20. For ever molecule burned, 4 H20 molecules are produced.

44grams of propane thus yields 18*4=72 grams of water 72/44= 1.6 Therefor one pound of propane yields 1.6 pounds of water vapor. Also 3 pounds of CO2

dreadlocks

What does the density of propane have to do with water? you created 1.6 pounds of water per pound of propane burned.. okay great, we've established and confirmed that.. its water now, the density of LP is no longer applicable to the equation of how much volume does 1.6lbs of water take.. its certainly not .8 gallons.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
If luthj and I agree and you don't, put your "orders of magnitude" under scrutiny.

If you don't get how it works, find your local jr high chemistry teacher and make their day with your enthusiastic note taking.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
In every way metric is superior. Whos feet are we talking about again?

I find that even 200ml/hr of extra water in a van space results in undesirable condensation. That generally requires a slightly cracked window with a propex/espar/etc externally vented heater. With a unvented heater you would need a mostly open window. Which probably adds 30% to your heating needs, which also produces more moisture.

Last edited:

shade

In every way metric is superior. Whos feet are we talking about again?

I find that even 200ml of extra water in a van space results in undesirable condensation. That generally requires a slightly cracked window with a propex/espar/etc externally vented heater. With a unvented heater you would need a mostly open window. Which probably adds 30% to your heating needs, which also produces more moisture.
Add that to the ambient humidity and body sourced moisture, too. I already wipe down the interior of my little truck camper in the morning, and that's without a heater or dogs pumping more damp into the air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles