Tundra vs F150

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkg

Explorer
Modern diesel regular maintenance really isn't bad until you need to start replacing injectors - which seems to happen far too soon IMO, perhaps inadequate OEM fuel filtration.

Thousands of dollars to rebuild or replace injectors at under 200k miles seems ridiculous to me. Always had good luck with my diesels but not sure I'll own another unless I'm towing long and hard.

filtration + EPA regulations + degregaded fuels = bad combo

dave1014

Adventurer
Towing isnt
the selling point with the 3.0 powerstroke in the f150. Its got just over 2000lbs less tow rating than the 3.5 ecoboost maxtow trucks do.

The selling point for the powerstroke is the fact that its averaging 33mpg on the highway

Last edited:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
The problem is that you, like many others on here, haven't actually done the math to prove that out. If you actually breakdown the annual maintenance for diesel (not the catastrophic breakdown stories that some like to talk about), you're looking at spending a few hundred extra dollars per year at the most...arguably the difference will be less if you resort to DIY maintenance.

Diesel fuel costs more in some areas, less in others. The periodic maintenance costs can be higher, but they arguably enable the vehicle to last much longer than the average gasoline vehicle (especially under true working conditions). What makes sense for you, might not make sense for someone else....

So the bottom line is:
- No one here has a mental deficiency.
- There are no widespread fallacies on this topic, rather just different points of view.
- The Tundra is one of the few gasoline trucks I'd consider owning for the long term...what it lacks in technological innovation, it more than makes up for with reliability and robustness.

There, I brought the thread back on topic...

This is 100% correct. My diesel gets oil and fuel filter changes every 14,000 miles or so. And the computer is still about 20-25% away from saying it needs it. That slight increased cost is way more than made up by the 40-50% increase I see in mileage while towing my camper over a gas truck. Guys in the ORV groups with Tundras and F150s are seeing 8mpg. That's consistent with what HD trucks with gas motors get. I see 11-12. I also see significantly better empty mileage than the 6.4L. Like 30% better. DEF is $12 every couple of thousand miles. I spend more than that scratching my butt.

There has been zero other additional maintenance due to the diesel over 90,000 miles. None.

I just did a value on NADA.com. The diesel is a $7100 add in value over the 6.4L Hemi in trade in on my truck. It cost me $7995 on the window sticker. Based on the discount I got when I bought the truck, the diesel actually cost me a little less than $7400. So $300 in additional actual cost for the diesel over 5 years.

There is no real purchase penalty for the diesel engine and there is no real maintenance or fuel cost penalty for at least the first 100,000 miles. And that's the real math over 90,000 miles and 5 years.

Most new car buyers trade their truck in before 100k. While a few people may not, the vast majority do. New car buyers exist because people don't want to worry about all of the 200k maintenance junk people bring up about diesels. My truck is getting traded as soon as I can order a 2020 for that exact reason. Maybe I'll write a detailed thread about my actual costs due to the diesel when I get the actual trade numbers.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
If you're trading in, a perfectly fine 6 year old truck, then you really shouldn't be spouting off about the $ numbers. You don't even start saving money until the truck is paid off. For many, that's six years. Why treat it like a disposable kia econobox?

In my AO, the guys who spec'd their trucks properly, for their actual usage (not the usage they dream about), and keep them at least 15 years, are the ones getting ahead. If that means driving a '99 Super Duty with a V10, today, so be it. Those are the guys making bank right now, that I'm jealous of.

Last edited:

billiebob

One thing i have not seen on the Tundra/F150 comments.

Headroom.
I have yet to find a Toyota where my head does not hit the A-Pillar on entry.
But I have plenty of room entering an F150. or any other North American truck.

billiebob

I think the major takeaway is: if an extra $14 spent (on butt scratching or anything else) is that off-putting, then don't get a truck period. DEF is an incremental cost associated with diesel, but certainly nothing that is going to break the bank in the long run.

The Tacoma has a low roofline (a design quirk I'm not fond of). The Tundra, 4runner and LC have more than enough headspace....but hey, if that's what you need to tell yourself in order to validate your purchasing decision, so be it.
No, I break my neck everytime I get into my neighbours 2017 Tundra.
And I've seen lots of reviews saying the same thing.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Some more info on the diesel vs gas HD conundrum. I know this isn't really this thread but since we are already here...

I had a sit down yesterday with the used car manager at my local Ram dealership. They are long time customers of mine so we have a good relationship. I wanted to ask him whether it was better to trade my truck with the wheels, lift and stuff on it or return it to stock. Absolutely return it to stock he said. They can throw a set of aggressive 35s on the truck and they sell quickly. Nice to know since everything will fit the new trucks.

I also asked him about the trade difference between the diesel and 6.4. He siad you get almost every dollar back but the real kicker is that on trucks that are 5 or 6 years old, gas HD trucks are harder to finance than diesel trucks and you end up paying a higher rate. That is due to the significantly higher fall off in value past that age. That factor is another kick in the wallet at trade time.

I then asked him about the Aisin. They give almost zero additional dollars at trade for that option around here. So that's $3k down the drain. Make absolutely sure you need that one before checking that box.

Dalko43

Explorer
Some more info on the diesel vs gas HD conundrum. I know this isn't really this thread but since we are already here...

I had a sit down yesterday with the used car manager at my local Ram dealership. They are long time customers of mine so we have a good relationship. I wanted to ask him whether it was better to trade my truck with the wheels, lift and stuff on it or return it to stock. Absolutely return it to stock he said. They can throw a set of aggressive 35s on the truck and they sell quickly. Nice to know since everything will fit the new trucks.

I also asked him about the trade difference between the diesel and 6.4. He siad you get almost every dollar back but the real kicker is that on trucks that are 5 or 6 years old, gas HD trucks are harder to finance than diesel trucks and you end up paying a higher rate. That is due to the significantly higher fall off in value past that age. That factor is another kick in the wallet at trade time.

I then asked him about the Aisin. They give almost zero additional dollars at trade for that option around here. So that's $3k down the drain. Make absolutely sure you need that one before checking that box.

That difference in resale value is well known, especially as the trucks get older. Go look at the older (circa 2006-2007) 3/4 ton diesels...they enjoy a substantial resale advantage over their gasoline counterparts, even though some trucks from that era were not well built. Even with the modern emissions in place, the diesel trucks will offer better resale value because there was more cost incorporated into their initial MSRP. That and diesel trucks still have a reputation for outlasting gasoline trucks in true working conditions (meaning hard towing and heavy payload, not simply pulling a recreational boat every other weekend)...perhaps only excepting a few outliers.

Also, the Aisin might not provide any financial bonuses for dealer-trade in's (though the dealer could just be pulling some BS with you), but in the used market and in the real world, the Aisin is highly preferred for its extra durability over FCA's stock unit. In a private party used sale involving someone who actually knows about FCA's bad history with transmission, the Aisin would likely add value to the seller's transaction.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Also, the Aisin might not provide any financial bonuses for dealer-trade in's (though the dealer could just be pulling some BS with you), but in the used market and in the real world, the Aisin is highly preferred for its extra durability over FCA's stock unit. In a private party used sale involving someone who actually knows about FCA's bad history with transmission, the Aisin would likely add value to the seller's transaction.

In our neck of the woods, most loaded out HD trucks are commuters that also pull big boats or campers. A lot of them are owned by upper level managers, oilfield salespeople or business owners. An upgraded transmission is not really worth the squeeze for $3000. I can definitely see what you are saying in more rural areas where people are actually working their Laramie trucks instead of doing that with work-provided stripped models.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Hey guys I asked in domestic...

But im Looking to upgrade from my 4Runner..... Im gonna space for 3 kids in car seats so the runners getting a bit small.

So I’m looking at F150s and Tundras. Ford 5.0 vs tundra 5.7 both large crew cabs and 4wd.

Ford has locker and a bit better mpg, I had really good luck with my older 4Runner mechanically so I do like Toyota for longeticity and Mx.

No hardcore wheeling, family adventure wagon, fire roads, etc....
I like Toyota have had a 4runner lousy hated it, replaced it with a 93 Landcruiser loved it hated the 12mpg. Currently have the 06 Sequoia like it. I’m shopping new rides also. Honestly I haven’t considered Toyota an option for the last 8 yr or so. They are sooo dated and behind on mileage and other brands are just as dependable.

If Full sized truck is your focus the Tundra is old as freaking dirt soo tired Toyota is slapping stick on crap on them to try and attract buyers .

The most advanced Full size is the F150 if most advance technology scares you then you go GM you get the most advanced truck minus the turbos. ?.

But absolutely nothing on Toyotas lots is even remotely interesting especially new. Might as well buy a 8 yr old Tundra you get the same truck for half price.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'm gonna go against the grain here, and this is just my opinion. I would chose the Ford over my tundra anyday. Ford has really stepped it up where as Toyota has lagged. I own a 2012 Tundra Rock Warrior supercharged. It's been good so far. But it leaves a lot to be desired. I have been a Toyota guy my whole life. Owned 5 other toyotas. But man has Toyota ridden on the coattails of their success and become complacent. I drive a Ford as a company vehicle, and when it comes to replace the tundra it most certainly will be a Ford. The e-locker and the ability to order exactly what you want are what I really like. Not stuck ordering what options Toyota says i can and cannot have.
Same here long time Toyota owner. I haven’t even considered anything new from Toyota in yrs. Heck speaking of lazy design. For kicks I took a 2019 Prius home after dropping my 06 Sequoia off for air bag recall. The plugin Prius wasn’t even fully formatted for the US market!! They left the Electric plug on the Japan/ driver side!! I actually said ******! Toyota has been massively disappointing for a long time now, but our dealers are so bad the sales staff tell you no negotiation before you even hint at what your shopping for!! That sort of ******** doesn’t earn my money. I honestly would like to see Toyota absolutely crushed by competition so that they get off their asses and start designing good stuff again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94