Dometic PLB40 Reviews

Morgan Weafer

Hello there!

Curious if anyone has been using the PLB40 for extended travel. I want to know your experience with the product and how reliable it has been for you as a power solution. I’ve been researching into adding a duel battery system to my Jeep, however I lack the room for a traditionally sized battery and Simply want to reduce my payload. The PLB40 is an enticing answer to my power needs but is what I really want.

Looking forward to your replies.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Pk63

I too am curious about the PLB40. I’ve been researching various options for an additional battery to keep my ARB50 fridge powered overnight and believe that this could very well be the answer for me. The can be charged during the day while driving, and should be able to easily power a fridge overnight. Besides the cost, I don’t see any disadvantages of this power source. I also am impressed as to how small it is and the multiple ways to recharge it.
I will most likely purchase the PLB40 next time REI has a 20% sale. Any reason I shouldn’t buy it?

shade

At $850 for 40Ah, I'd consider stepping up a little in price to a drop-in 100Ah battery.

zachgs

I ordered one along with an ARB fridge from OK4WD. Should arrive on Tuesday. I’ll be sure to post some initial impressions. The light weight and the ability to change between vehicles quickly is what got me.

gpxl

For those that have a PLB40, did you consider a Goal Zero Yeti and if so, what made you go with the Dometic? It seems like the Yeti is more value for money. I feel like I’m missing something.

GlamperGA

interested here too. still debating a mobile power unit versus auxiliary battery in truck bed.
the mobile power unit is a big plus in flexibility for a fridge.

bglenden

For those that have a PLB40, did you consider a Goal Zero Yeti and if so, what made you go with the Dometic? It seems like the Yeti is more value for money. I feel like I’m missing something.

Out of the box, as I found out to my consternation, the voltage of the Goal Zero Yetis is low for the Dometic fridge I have. When the battery hit about 50% basically the fridge stopped running because of low voltage (and I set the fridge voltage cutoff point to low). The PLB40 uses different Lithium chemistry (LiFePO4) where this is a non-issue.

Goal Zero sells a 12V regulated cable that resolves this issue (presumably boosts the voltage a bit), but you must lose a bit of efficiency using it, but not as much as using the 120V inverter (where the minimum draw (compressor not running) is about 10W, vs <1W with the regulated cable). So just be aware if you get a Goal Zero. (The GZ 400 Lithium cigarette adapter socket is also, believe it or not, not compatible with the Dometic cigarette plug. But the Goal Zero adapter you need for the regulated cable also fixes this issue).

While in general I've been pretty happy with the Goal Zero battery (I've had it for a couple of years), if I was starting fresh I'd buy a 100Ah LiFePO4 battery (e.g., Battleborn) and build up the interfaces I want myself.

Morgan Weafer

As I understand it, the PLB40 is designed to put out at a constant amperage until the last bit of energy remains in the battery.

I ordered mine and I’ll see it next week. I’ll try to post pictures and initial impressions.

zachgs

Like others said there were really three reasons that at least on paper favored the Dometic for me:

1) Constant voltage
2) Can be charged from 12V — I think Yeti now has an adapter but see my last point
3) Less propriety / custom plugs — Yeti has their own solar plug, etc

The 4th reason is not really a strong reason but the Dometic uses better battery technology and I like the idea fo using the latest and greatest if I’m going the Lithium route. :)

Overall, if I didn’t specifically want to power a fridge, I think the Yeti makes a lot of sense.

shade

if I was starting fresh I'd buy a 100Ah LiFePO4 battery (e.g., Battleborn) and build up the interfaces I want myself.
Yep. More than twice the capacity, for only a little more once a battery box is built for it.

zachgs

Hey guys, I got mine along with my ARB fridge and have been playing around with it for a couple of days now.

Things I like:

1) Light weight
2) Constant voltage
3) Simple package/design

Things I dislike:

1) Lack of a physical on/off switch or constant indicator light
2) Turns off after 1hr if no load is received or it is not on a charger

On the dislikes, #1 is a little more personal. I don't like that the on / off is a touch button instead of a physical switch and I don't like that is also used to "wake up" the display.

#2 could be more of an issue for me long term. I tried running it with my fridge to see how long it would last. I had it in back of my wrangler in my driveway starting yesterday. I checked it a few times and seemed to be alright. After the 9hr mark, I decided to just wait and check it the next day. Well, I checked it this afternoon and everything was off. :unsure:

I figured I had just drained it overnight. I'm running the fridge empty and it has been pretty hot in SLC so this kind of a worst case scenario I imagine. I plugged the battery pack into the 12V outlet to charge and it said 74% battery left. So what gives?

I'm guessing one of two things happened:

1) I accidentally turned it off when I checked it before going to bed last night. (Like I said the power button is also used to wake up the display).

2) The fridge wasn't running for >1hr and the unit automatically turned itself off.

I think 2) is more likely and this troublesome because if the fridge is loaded with cold food and is not opened that often then ideally it shouldn't run except only the necessary, right? I can imagine a well insulated, full fridge not running for more than hour.

It is unclear what the minimum load required to keep the battery on is. I couldn't find it in the manual so I'll ask Dometic about it.

I'm continually to test it out this week so let me know if you have questions or there are things you'd like me to investigate.

zachgs

Number 2 seems likely. Can that cutoff timer be adjusted?

So I've been digging into this further. It appears to be a firmware issue with the early units. People are saying the time should be 24hrs and that Dometic can send you the tools to update the firmware. I've contacted them and hopefully they get back to me quickly.

You can see the mistake in their operating manual. The copy that came with my battery says "1 hour". The copy you can download from Dometic's website says "24hrs". Now why they ever thought 1hr would be enough is totally different question.

Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 5.01.09 PM.pngyJHDgNIlShC4KivsN1tKYg.jpg

shade

So I've been digging into this further. It appears to be a firmware issue with the early units. People are saying the time should be 24hrs and that Dometic can send you the tools to update the firmware. I've contacted them and hopefully they get back to me quickly.

You can see the mistake in their operating manual. The copy that came with my battery says "1 hour". The copy you can download from Dometic's website says "24hrs". Now why they ever thought 1hr would be enough is totally different question.

View attachment 529520View attachment 529521
Good detective work.

Please post the rest of the process. I hope there's little more than a chip swap or reflash.

gpxl

Like others said there were really three reasons that at least on paper favored the Dometic for me:

1) Constant voltage
2) Can be charged from 12V — I think Yeti now has an adapter but see my last point
3) Less propriety / custom plugs — Yeti has their own solar plug, etc

The 4th reason is not really a strong reason but the Dometic uses better battery technology and I like the idea fo using the latest and greatest if I’m going the Lithium route. :)

Overall, if I didn’t specifically want to power a fridge, I think the Yeti makes a lot of sense.

Thank you, and others, for the response. I have a Yeti as well as adapters that resolve issues 1 & 2 And there are adapters for #3 as well but I get wanting things to “just work”. That was my original reason for getting the Yeti and the adapters were unexpected cost and complexity, but I’m happy with the set up now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles