New trucks and 4low...

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Trailer tire speed ratings are encoded. Unless you have the proper code reader......
That one would be ''ST''. Let me decode:

''ST, 65mph, space shuttle weight rating, nobody cares until trailer tires explode, and then they still won't replace it with a quality tire, made in china, your kids safety isn't worth a $200 premium, RV shmucko approved, do not use if road temperatures exceed 65F, Good Sam Club seal of quality''

shade

Trailer tire speed ratings are encoded. Unless you have the proper code reader......
That one would be ''ST''. Let me decode:

''ST, 65mph, space shuttle weight rating, nobody cares until trailer tires explode, and then they still won't replace it with a quality tire, made in china, your kids safety isn't worth a $200 premium, RV shmucko approved, do not use if road temperatures exceed 65F, Good Sam Club seal of quality''
I see you've been towing at 80 mph.

shade

Oh.

Well, that's different.

I'm not too keen on some of the high speed towing combos I've seen. Even if the traffic is at a steady 80 mph, a two door Jeep with an offroad trailer probably should avoid zipping along that fast unless the brakes are really dialed in on all three axles.

Even in 4Low.

shade

I don't think it really has to be difficult. If the speed limit on a given freeway is 80 then the prevailing speed in good weather/visibility will be around 80. That's not a debate topic, it's just the acknowledged reality in which we live.

If the prevailing speed on a given route is 80 then stray burros, mopeds, lawn tractors, old order Mennonite carriages and slow moving trailer combinations are all hazards for the same reason. You can't reason with stray burros or Jeep drivers but apart from them most people seem pretty good at finding alternate routes suited to agricultural and pedestrian traffic.

It's not a suggestion to exceed the rating of your equipment just match your route and hardware with each other and stay safe.
I've seen the Jeep/trailer combo cruising along at 80 mph on open stretches of highway, and on traffic choked downhill sections in the mountains. One is no big deal, the other is an example of idiocy.

Context matters.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I tow at 70-77, depending on traffic.

Usually 5 over the limit. 65 in a 70, is suicide.

I always tow at 4+ the speed limit. Or, I would, if my little pansy-azzed Jeep COULD tow anything at 4+ the speed limit.

As it stands, I'm lucky to hold 4+ without a trailer. 3.8 liter + trailer = "+4 ain't gonna happen".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles