2005 Tundra novice build - "The Rez"

Hayden87

Adventurer
If you're using OEM adjusters, do they come with the bolt or do you need to get that separate?

EDIT***
Also, do you guys have part numbers? I'm looking through the diagrams and am getting conflicting information from several sources.
The OEM Adjuster will have a "Fixed" side which is attached to the bolt. That bolt then goes through a sleeve and the other Adjuster nut threads on.

Kpack

Adventurer
A Mediocre Tow Vehicle

I'm borrowing our family's boat for the summer and drove it back home 115 miles. I'd say this boat is right about at the limits of what this truck can do.

2005 Malibu Wakesetter. Probably around 5000 lbs with the trailer, and all normal equipment. I haven't weighed it yet.
y4mf3phU2Nx5jV1E4yUdSC4GW4rgoSLt0rt-Uz2mzj_19mIlrMvmzQAmwxsEYErr5rxMJ-KRJ8Q1JhsjznloNAh4qFGWvkq4VKbtklX6nc36zkK3y4jWeFUqGUrWpJ9ERrQxbqAfrBlmWrvo0OwEp55XtHR8w46HtyXWXEK9mri_YqaAGrvuXpkSAtmwmeOSMPjTgmL0-YF71-_9_mhSCLgJQ

First off I had to get a new tow hitch because the BF Fab high clearance rear bumper is insanely high. I bought the lowest drop hitch I could find....10" drop. And it's still right about at the limits of what the trailer can lift to. Once on the hitch the tongue weight pushes the rear of the truck down so the trailer is nice and level.
y4m8DXU92Jm1giAkkv9xlB3ceVVBn2GJNmQUlcHNq2PtpAijKn64WMinfzR1uwbGr5ELJaffN861YnV8bsjNsLXPI0vq65a_8qjrFfeyMIoCfWUJUT-BtevpBn0UODdsNq2Hg5S1ZjiVmUrkvMoPdP-RWLptLBSj6YnK1V7Qwi2sgQ-NDyGyZiqqPg2c-dyxPR_Cnl2SHeUkU4ZLKJPIeYVzg

My normal operating temps (non-towing) are 185-199 for the coolant temp, depending on terrain. Trans temp varies widely, but normally between 150-200, again depending on terrain.
While towing the boat, the coolant temps were steady at 217-218 on level-ish ground (90 degrees ambient temp), and would climb upwards of 225 on steep hills (long 4-6% grades). The needle on our gauges doesn't move until 221....then it moves quickly.
The trans temp varied between 200 and peaked at 245 on the longest hills (OD off the whole time).
I was dropping down to 50-60 mph on the uphills due to lack of power.

First off, are these temps normal?

Second, what can I do to keep both the engine and trans temps cooler?

For background here's where things stand:
-Radiator - new 30K miles ago (Denso)
-Timing belt/water pump (replaced 30k ago with Aisin kit)
-Head gasket replaced 15k miles ago
-Fan clutch is non-OEM replacement 15K miles ago
-Coolant is new 15K miles ago, non-Toyota pink

smokeysevin

Observer
Those sound about right, you were probably around 3k rpm? Trans temp, add an additional transmission cooler, if you add it inline before the radiator you might see a slight drop in coolant temp.

I typically like to go more off oil temps than coolant temps but you have to make due with what you have.

Sean

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
My coolant runs a pretty consistent 191 once warmed up, dropping to 188 occasionally. My trans temps max out around 180 and under normal loads are around 140-160.

I have what I believe is a factory trans cooler included with the SR5 tow package. I've never towed anything that substantial before so I can't really compare.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Kpack

Adventurer
Those sound about right, you were probably around 3k rpm? Trans temp, add an additional transmission cooler, if you add it inline before the radiator you might see a slight drop in coolant temp.

I typically like to go more off oil temps than coolant temps but you have to make due with what you have.

Sean

Thanks Sean. Yes, I was running above 3K rpm on the uphills, sometimes I'd have to punch into the previous gear just to keep my speed up, and it would run above 4k.

The truck has an external AT cooler (towing package), but I was thinking about replacing that one with a larger stacked plate unit. I've heard some guys put a second cooler inline with the factory one. Most recommend putting a filter in as well....I'll have to figure out how to do that.

I can't find a way to measure oil temp on TorquePro with my truck. Have you been able to figure that out?

Kpack

Adventurer
My coolant runs a pretty consistent 191 once warmed up, dropping to 188 occasionally. My trans temps max out around 180 and under normal loads are around 140-160.

I have what I believe is a factory trans cooler included with the SR5 tow package. I've never towed anything that substantial before so I can't really compare.

Under normal load, that is what my trans temp is typically. It will hit 200 when I'm backcountry going up long, steep inclines. When towing it went way up.

smokeysevin

Observer
Thanks Sean. Yes, I was running above 3K rpm on the uphills, sometimes I'd have to punch into the previous gear just to keep my speed up, and it would run above 4k.

The truck has an external AT cooler (towing package), but I was thinking about replacing that one with a larger stacked plate unit. I've heard some guys put a second cooler inline with the factory one. Most recommend putting a filter in as well....I'll have to figure out how to do that.

I can't find a way to measure oil temp on TorquePro with my truck. Have you been able to figure that out?
I don't actually know if the ecu has an oil temp sensor so I can't comment.

It would also be worth looking at the order of the coolers and determining if putting one before the other would help.

This is a totally baseless example and a huge oversimplification: If the radiator is at 180 degrees for instance and the trans fluid is at 170 going in, the trans fluid will "cool" the radiator, the external trans cooler will then take the 175 degree trans fluid and drop it back to 165.

At 55mph there is still a good amount of air moving into the rad so I doubt the fan clutch is an issue.

Pulling 11k uphill takes quite a bit of power which makes lots of heat so its not really surprising. Its also right on the edge of the spec of the truck.

I am waiting on a new radiator to come in as well as another trans cooler which will have a spot to measure temps. If I get the time, I will try to setup a test to check what works best.

I wouldnt sweat it too much.

Sean

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
This was from tonight. A little over an hour at 70mph all highway.
d26ad8a4ae5c4ec6d2e86c4bc58f3a90.jpg

Kpack

Adventurer
I don't actually know if the ecu has an oil temp sensor so I can't comment.

It would also be worth looking at the order of the coolers and determining if putting one before the other would help.

This is a totally baseless example and a huge oversimplification: If the radiator is at 180 degrees for instance and the trans fluid is at 170 going in, the trans fluid will "cool" the radiator, the external trans cooler will then take the 175 degree trans fluid and drop it back to 165.

At 55mph there is still a good amount of air moving into the rad so I doubt the fan clutch is an issue.

Pulling 11k uphill takes quite a bit of power which makes lots of heat so its not really surprising. Its also right on the edge of the spec of the truck.

I am waiting on a new radiator to come in as well as another trans cooler which will have a spot to measure temps. If I get the time, I will try to setup a test to check what works best.

I wouldnt sweat it too much.

Sean

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Normally my trans temp is lower than my coolant temp, so I'm not sure it would make much of a difference to put a cooler before the radiator. I'll start by replacing the factory one with a larger one and see how that goes.

Yes, with this boat I think I'm right at the GCVW. I need to get out and have both the truck and boat weighed to see exactly where I am. I'm pretty sure the truck is somewhere around 5.5k lbs, or maybe a little more.

This was from tonight. A little over an hour at 70mph all highway.
d26ad8a4ae5c4ec6d2e86c4bc58f3a90.jpg

Your gas mileage is way better than mine. Normal driving I'm at around 14. Towing is like 7....ouch.

bkg

Explorer
I've towed with a number of 1st Gen doublecabs (2004, 2006, 2006)… with the exception of "low" or light loads, I kept them out of OD. Averaged about 11mpg towing my 4Runner. Best was 12.5, but that was towing a chassis only. Worst was 8.5 towing a 4runner and fully loaded box from MN to TN in the hills (7k lbs). The 4.7 is fine revving.

Kpack

Adventurer
Did you watch your temps at all while towing? If not, did you notice the temp needle move up above the midway mark on the hills? I had to turn off A/C to keep it in check on the inclines.

bkg

Explorer
Did you watch your temps at all while towing? If not, did you notice the temp needle move up above the midway mark on the hills? I had to turn off A/C to keep it in check on the inclines.

been a while (3 years), but I don't recall seeing anything out of the ordinary.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
I like to remove the OEM trans coolers and install an aftermarket stack cooler with a built in thermostatically controlled fan.

Kpack

Adventurer
Transmission Temps on Torque Pro

I finally figured out how to correctly obtain and display transmission temperature readings for both the torque converter and the pan on my 2005 Tundra. I'm not sure what years this will work on, but I'm assuming at least 05-06, and hopefully the earlier ones as well. Note: I do not take any responsibility if something gets screwed up on your vehicle. Do this at your own risk. I don't know what could go wrong here, but Torque Pro has that warning, so there you go.

Materials
OBDII bluetooth adapter (https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Product...dii+bluetooth&qid=1564157982&s=gateway&sr=8-3)
Torque Pro app

Cost: ~$35

Procedure
I won't go into setting up the Torque Pro App, as that can be found online very easily.

Once you are connected to your vehicle and the basic parameters are set up, you need to create two custom PIDs.

On the Torque Pro main page, navigate to the settings button on the lower left. Then select "Manage extra PIDs/sensors"
y4mu8hyBsHFdAczzlozXypQ0qtKcILjC3f7TuPBne5iZKItygTqnHqwiOlMFoA1Td1ec3ulNMELmSTSSR3bHqDrBSTTrVDYYQn_IB3niaEw5jSws8gVBKLcFcILvo9q3tNgLNubxr0uWyHXvWA8GJHzP2LjqLSqjZ24qgPaJ_g6OPxcPrQUjanPgouFYYpM4LoY12u2zjSWo7xoQlsRu83stQ
y4mOqPqszUPoKwyV5JKt5r7IDp9tvR-izozpDjeUVBJulFRsVHgVAAYta-IBwJ1tzRDqFcEvW9Ju9sinf0AeBuCgr6neb-y6-foPjVBqEfQTDh8gDI0jc6daX6ZAWJPNjWle_KqCyMCPGunbwKUlN0LnFGt7g19syoDaPFUgQU_wpJIMFzama_OGIojMDZiYB3oZlxvky0NSMzGIgjWHu3hOw

You'll be creating two new PID's. Fill these out exactly as I have done here, but you can rename TFT 1/TFT 2 as you see fit. Be sure to use the degree symbol as well. The equation needs to be exactly as shown.

The first PID is the transmission pan temp (TFT 1).
y4m3fSy58iwc5z7Z08FAMmPeSolG_OYlJt-NW_-MZLej0eaifdPuXNL2F1NX4lPYkYJX3C2Eg59eneX2MJvegI00QPpyBTPoby0FgKZnM0y__wrfuZegfZfwsSbGSCYbgkfRNX9y-xaXarOjpgU7qTKWibM801PdrEBErIRtG6EYH7k8LG6td2LP6l8zujYBpuTHtBqAUaEGme5JMYggnJS0A
y4mxC40G5J0nqAxq27EPHKf81rZzh56o5nNySsgNtYw0TusF6925hzv0hFunXoAl2ru9kQx7_UBwZ9zPHFrP67w71fKHzN4VqMcW9zeACkFtj945jd74lLqjpiq4qRt3nKdthsm2AY8FBLFDRRRZ3DtsVAuGiCpC-A0CaEVTc4fmUvBZWefaTanUly4_rzQl1nKrywtsQLKPTlaFINF9I-K7Q

2nd PID is the torque converter temp (TFT 2)
y4mGmyWr8HPE2UdAfXnpltqHuiKbAhKYLT0qt8WJfIQqm7Lhi6dJ1-S63lbJk-XKXYgFhjIgRzN7sRbsEn5aRYZEKYJoun5Jm7NfgRpEmq4RJYjTiM8trHmqJKF2QwKVLgOLjEdeZeP2sIMoYn8_thW9meT8SFP6xG6cKSPGNehz8iL9uk0sM7t3iguvVVZJtSp-Sq3bWlVZAx0e1co5C9eJA
y4mMkNbIn0O78l3b_vgZE5iOMRmQ9Kp7M9QMSjwiQafsZOMkS-3cGD3T75rKP-XMBm8m3miEVWW3inJWxFuTn0NKcOVjfn2UwvNxpnsUoRGS2Dtf09idAjKEwF4BDp2jXKRv_XqgVY2NFJ8GVo0EILKAX6Us5R6daw_TNmMBA9-NPwqYwe-MUjB8HNm7sUL_IgeQUqQoq4aG0a-MKmjpr8aWQ

Once these are done, all you need to do now is set up two dials on your Torque Pro monitoring page. Just make sure you use the two PIDs you set up.....they'll be named "Transmission Fluid Temperature 1" and "Transmission Fluid Temperature 2".

When cruising at a constant speed the pan and TC are similar in temps. When accelerating the TC climbs higher and the pan temp follows.
y4mET9JhYakalOdyHbrba8oZcBevnqA87jPKDxiZf2cKeQKBnHIeY1jM_b2IzAC9LtllF77BWzs7qwSmtn0yz3n912RuQzlr7zA1vEdxzfsjtHRdtJQk22xOmhNoF_sHOt51ycuwKBfmazdGybq3PlGJ20Ggjaf0rPcUn7N6c2lbW3E7OL-6BSQUt-GuMNidLsXlfrs0z6DzvQ_cXWXAyeXxQ
y4mcVWtzlLlI01LKXoIrujEKBVcIgix1BwyxnnM-Yxqlo69AwGqEDDWzn5n_uIG66D2uFEUZ00D722XY3ImOgdBTLkVY1Uu-xkd5rvswAdTkUFVS9ctZODtZUUSoh1SRJ_0vcIH3_2sotmi_XyESj8Z6jPjsRV1WjnxL9Q38il-o8XO7aKBX1mj1x-vvTTxQwMWHTkQKj4flFI1DPiDGqSyhw

Huzzah!! Now you have accurate (I think) transmission temps to obsess over!

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Excellent write up on that BFF bumper install. Truck looks good too. Keep an eye out on those cam bolts. If they are SPC ones. They will loosen up over time.

That 3rd gen tundra also has 1 of 2 BFF front bumper and 1 of 1 rear bumper and sliders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles