Garmin Overlander

shade

I like the mini, but I'm not going to get one while my Explorer+ does just fine. Hell I love how it becomes a stand alone mapping GPS even if the screen is small, it's my go to backup unit.
I've already found that functionality of the Explorer+ to be useful when wandering. To me, it's well worth the extra size & weight over the Mini.

Hardware and software continuously evolves, you're always free to make the decision to jump on or off the train. Using Explore probably won't matter to me as long as Garmin doesn't cripple using non-Garmin maps. If they do that then the decision to stand pat with the devices I have and move forward only using tablets becomes pretty easy.

Exactly. I'd prefer not being locked into Garmin's plans, especially when they change and I'm left with an orphaned or crippled device. If there was more competition for the inReach, I may have gone with a competitor.

With different apps like Gaia, I can just upgrade my device if it starts to struggle.

Yup. You can also dump an app for a competitor and not be out hundreds of dollars, use several different apps on the same device, and often share those apps with other devices without additional fees.

Even at a much lower price, I just don't see the value of the Overlander, at least not in its current form. A relatively cheap tablet in a case works well enough for me, and I can always upgrade it if the hardware flakes out. Not so with the Garmin. It reminds me of fancy OEM in-dash audio/video units that cost too much, can't be updated, and rapidly fall behind the tech curve.

shade

no one is mentioning the GLONASS, GPS, and Galileo built in.
GPS on my iphone or Ipad is no good when service runs out. Not Accurate and not Reliable.
Adding GLONASS & Galileo improves accuracy, but as long as the maps are downloaded prior to losing a data signal, the GPS capability of modern phones works well enough for navigation for many people. Even devices with all three systems available still need map data.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
no one is mentioning the GLONASS, GPS, and Galileo built in.
GPS on my iphone or Ipad is no good when service runs out. Not Accurate and not Reliable.
iPads and iPhones since about 2012 have had the ability to locate using both GPS and GLONASS.

Most devices (not just Apple) use one of the Broadcom BCM475x variants for location, most of which can see all types of GNSS (including Galileo and QZSS) to 5m accuracy. This is typical of any other single frequency receiver. It'll be similar to the STMicro devices as you might find in a Garmin, although I don't know but doubt Garmin changed their architecture for this particular device so probably built on a Teseo III or the Sony chipsets.

Now the newest phones will start using a BCM47755, which will be around 30 cm accuracy, which is a major improvement to dual frequency RTK (survey level in essence).

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I've been a long time fan of the Garmin products (and they have been fans of me with bro-codes, etc). Great UI, functionality, etc. I'm still looking forward to seeing the benefits of the DeLorme acquisition - full integration into the NAV products - but we just don't seem to be there yet.

Like others, I was disappointed with the lack of knowledge the Garmin folks had at Expo West about their newest product offerings. The Garmin 7" dezl is a heckuva product (especially with the wired backup cam), not seeing anything to convince me to make the move from it yet.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
iPads and iPhones since about 2012 have had the ability to locate using both GPS and GLONASS.

I believe iPads only have the GPS receiver included with Cellular versions (may have changed in newer models). I've never activated my personal iPad Air 2's cellular service, and it does fine running Nav apps on my dash.

My biggest gripe with Garmin devices is traveling back in time (technology-wise) when I open the box.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I have requested that Garmin let me know when the new model is ready to be shipped,

Last edited:

Taco-Bender

I am Green with envy, don't forget we want pictures, We like pictures, (y)

Will do.

Well, my buddy texted me today and took back what he said on Sunday. Apparently he had another product on his mind so, Overlander is another week and a half out.

:mad:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Will do.

Well, my buddy texted me today and took back what he said on Sunday. Apparently he had another product on his mind so, Overlander is another week and a half out.

:mad:
I think this one should be a winner, and it has some useful features on it too. (y)

emulous74

I ordered one with 4 cameras, will see how well it works on my trip from Texas to Montana at the end of the month and I'll report back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles