New trucks and 4low...

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Yeah the manual is a tough one!! Americans just don't buy them in sufficient numbers... There are several great Ute (pickup) options in Aus (from ford, and toyota) that have manual trans. I would bet there are a few manual tcase conversions, but thats not required for a reliable tcase.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
There are several great Ute (pickup) options in Aus (from ford, and toyota) that have manual trans. I would bet there are a few manual tcase conversions, but thats not required for a reliable tcase.
One doesn't even have to do that far Down Under and put up with right hand drive. Toyota sells a 4 cylinder, 5 speed Hilux in Mexico with a left hand drive. Crank windows even. Why, oh why, does Toyota like to torture?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Sounds like you need to find a wrecked hilux in MX, and strip some parts out. :LOL: I doubt the MX Toyotas have anywhere near the crash safety of US versions...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Sounds like you need to find a wrecked hilux in MX, and strip some parts out. :LOL: I doubt the MX Toyotas have anywhere near the crash safety of US versions...

Seems to me it'd be easier and cheaper to just buy an older vehicle right here in the US that already has those features and upgrade whatever needs upgrading.

There's a bajillion manual transmission 4x4's on the internet. You just have to be willing to live with noise, rough ride, low power, and a lack of modern niceties.

DaveInDenver

Seems to me it'd be easier and cheaper to just buy an older vehicle right here in the US that already has those features and upgrade whatever needs upgrading.

There's a bajillion manual transmission 4x4's on the internet. You just have to be willing to live with noise, rough ride, low power, and a lack of modern niceties.
I had one and would have loved to just replace it. It's not that it can't be found but eventually everything just plum gets tired. I was faced with a frame-up rebuild of my 1991 after 24 years and 300k tough miles or finding something less worn out. Financially cleaning the frame, patching rust, just a basic refresh or clean-up wasn't any cheaper than a newer Tacoma (which was already 7 years old when I got it). Not having a place to do it or another vehicle was the problem.

I found the closest I could to what I wanted and am doing the rest myself, stripping out unnecessary junk, building a simple center console, tore apart the bed partially to make it work with my WilderNest. Some stuff I just live with, power windows, meh, whatever. The terrible sight lines and claustrophobic cab are what they are. All the plastic dash looks fine with dust all over it and Ram mount balls fastened all over. The fancy carpet has developed heel wear patterns just like I expected (that is one thing I actually really miss, being able to get a factory rubber floor mat). Seats look the same under cheap covers either way. Toyota sells Tacomas as fast as they build them, so I don't blame them one bit for ignoring the subset of a minor subset of stick-in-the-mud curmudgeons.

And I'll admit it. Air conditioning is nice. As is cruise control and a V6. I was wrong (there I said it) about living with the 22R-E as long as I did. They're going to have to pry the stick shift from my cold dead hands though.

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence

Poorer fuel economy, and worse crash safety as well.

shade

And I'll admit it. Air conditioning is nice. As is cruise control and a V6. I was wrong (there I said it) about living with the 22R-E as long as I did. They're going to have to pry the stick shift from my cold dead hands though.
I had the same kind of thoughts when I upgraded to a 1993 Toyota Pickup for work.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
They're going to have to pry the stick shift from my cold dead hands though.

All you need to do it tow or haul heavy and you will be tempted to go auto.

Running heavy, and auto is where its at. Along with cruise control, it is down right comfortable on the open road.
All you have to do is get up to speed and set the cruise. Truck does the rest.

Auto, especially today's that have manual modes as well as gear lockout features, is also far better off road than a manual.

DaveInDenver

All you need to do it tow or haul heavy and you will be tempted to go auto.

Running heavy, and auto is where its at. Along with cruise control, it is down right comfortable on the open road.
All you have to do is get up to speed and set the cruise. Truck does the rest.

Auto, especially today's that have manual modes as well as gear lockout features, is also far better off road than a manual.
Oh man, I'm sure you're on to something. Was just thinking today that my left knee and right shoulder are what bug me most as I approach 50. I'm sure was I to take the salesdrone up on testing a Ranger over a weekend that I'd be corrupted. I have no doubt. The tale of the tape measure is that my WilderNest would fit still on one, too...

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yep

Like many, I was very pro-manual trans as well.
Also drove truck for a living back then.

Always had terrible low back problems.

Surely lots more to it than that, but since going auto, and not driving truck, most back problems are a thing of the past.
I do know that I can last a LOT longer in the drivers seat with a good auto. 12+ hours is possible, without much issue at all.
Previously more than 6 or 8 hours and I could barely get out of the drivers seat when we finally stopped :oops:

FWIW: wife’s 2010 Suburban has the 4auto option along with the 4hi/lo. I’ve used it successfully in two types of situations. Dirt/gravel roads where rears spin a bit here and there and I don’t want to engage 4hi due to steering bind. Also, freshly plowed snow roads with same steering concerns. IOW, mixed conditions. The GM system has always worked seamlessly for us. Eliminates rear spin and no binding. For the truck...not really interested. Just my experience and observation with the system.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I remember when I used to think stick shift only... and then.... I drove an auto and all the amazing beverages and other things I could do with my right hand... and lo and behold... I could manually shift the auto when I wanted as welll... best of both worlds... yep... stick shift.. I can’t think of a single reason to have one...offroad is way easier with 2 pedals...
No transmission overheating issues? Mine would get pretty hot in Baja climbing steep inclines in 90*+ heat.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I have been driving manuals since I first started plowing the driveway with a 50s Ford tractor at 13. After having an auto in my current rig and previous suburban, I have come to appreciate Autos for heavy vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles