2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
37”s are the new 35’s! The New Bronco will fit them easy and the Jeeps do. Rovers got to think of that on a flagship impractical off-roader.

REDROVER

Explorer
Yeah 32 is sweet spot,
I have 37 stock on the hummer, it crawls ever anything, but it’s harder to balance, fuel economy drops, acceleration drops, noise goes up.

JeepColorado

The 32" tall 235/85R16 tires seem to work just fine for me...

View attachment 526888

Happy the 32s work for you. What I see in this picture is a vehicle barely clearing a relatively minor rock outcropping on an otherwise pedestrian trail. A lift kit with 35s aired down would clear that without stuffing the back passenger due to the taller coils and would provide a much softer ride given the pliability and have more traction due to the larger foot print of the aired down 35" tire. Again, I like to have more than I absolutely need- I like to be over prepared. I'm glad 32s work for you and I'd agree that they are better on the road- I just tend to prioritize off-road capability when I look for off-road tires on an off-road vehicle.

blackangie

Im liking 34s on 18s on the defender

Profile matches current defenders with much bigger brakes.
65520ccefdbb545b0569ee4d65dabaf0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

JeepColorado

If 34s on 18s would fit even with air bags I could potentially get past having the bags but I still like the long-term reliability and simplicity of coils better. Height sensors go and air bags leak- perhaps the Defender's air system will be worlds better, but we won't know that until they've been out for years.

I'm just not sure you will be able to fit 18s- the calipers on the pictures I've seen don't appear to show much room and they are on 20" rims. If you can't put on larger tires- or at least if it's incredible difficult to- like with the LR4- you lose the pliability, traction, and resiliency benefits that come from airing a tire down off-road.

What are everyone's thoughts on the likelihood that the radiators are going to sit in front of the wheels- that seems like a vulnerability?

blackangie

If 34s on 18s would fit even with air bags I could potentially get past having the bags but I still like the long-term reliability and simplicity of coils better. Height sensors go and air bags leak- perhaps the Defender's air system will be worlds better, but we won't know that until they've been out for years.

I'm just not sure you will be able to fit 18s- the calipers on the pictures I've seen don't appear to show much room and they are on 20" rims. If you can't put on larger tires- or at least if it's incredible difficult to- like with the LR4- you lose the pliability, traction, and resiliency benefits that come from airing a tire down off-road.

What are everyone's thoughts on the likelihood that the radiators are going to sit in front of the wheels- that seems like a vulnerability?
Lucky8 said on youtube they are "up in the bonnet" so higher up

Air susp is known to be reliable in Australia on D3 onwards cars and preferred over coils, but they will have a coil option in some markets for a reason.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
35x12.5 are minimum spec for around me. Did 34's for years. Jeep, Toy, Fullsize, didn't matter. 35" MT's to play.

So popular is that size, that the trails are maintained around it.

blackangie

I wonder why they are keeping the body cladding on it when the "Tusk" look has already been displayed? I would have thought that they all would reveal as much as the "Tusk" one now.
1st,2nd,3rd and 4th look to be bosch test vehicles, probs autonomous stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online