Is the Ranger the Hilux we've been wanting?

We've been kicking around the idea of getting an All-Cab Khaya, and I have been doing some home work on truck specs, since the 4Runner is going to have to go... I have discovered that all these Tacomas I see with loaded Four Wheel Campers have to be grossly over weight.

The new Ranger 4x4 DC has a 1650lb payload capacity, the Tacoma has only 1175lbs, that's a 475lb difference. A fully kitted 4 person Khaya, per All-Cab's specs, is 1698lbs and this is before the fore mentioned four people get in the truck. And you know y'all expo sexual types are gonna throw the the whole OK4WD catalog at that Taco.

A 500lb difference in payload capacity is substantial. I test drove a Ranger the other day and it is spunky, at least empty it is. Why do we keep buying Tacomas? I know the Ranger is new to us, but this current platform is actually a bit dated. I personally despise GM but I did look to see that the Canyon has the same payload capacity as the Ranger and the choice of three engines. I also looked at the Australian Toyota website, don't look its too painful, and yes it's in the same league as the Ranger, but of course costs more.

Wallygator

Adventurer
The current, actually old, Tacoma sucks IMO. Some in other countries think that version of the Ranger is better than the Hilux. I would buy the U.S. Ranger over the Tacoma hands down, it's simply a better truck than the Taco.

I would also look at the new Jeep truck very closely.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I have to buy what I fit in.
The Global Conspiracy Against The Tall prevents me from even considering the Tacoma.

BTW, I can't drive a Jeep JL without hitting my head on the soundbar. But I fit in the Gladiator ---- might just be seat difference. And although the Gladiator pumps my nads, the pricetag is insane.
sigh

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
And you know y'all expo sexual types are gonna throw the the whole OK4WD catalog at that Taco.
There is in fact a ton of me-too things available for the Tacoma. But when you boil it down are there really that many unique things? And since I tend to buy ARB front bumpers, simple rear bumpers and sliders, etc. there's sufficient aftermarket already for the Ranger. So I don't think that's really a disadvantage for the Ranger.
A 500lb difference in payload capacity is substantial.
Truth bomb.
Why do we keep buying Tacomas? I know the Ranger is new to us, but this current platform is actually a bit dated.
I don't see "dated" as bad. I don't need or want latest tech nonsense. Just need a decent truck that is going to run a long time and tolerate being used. When I look at the interior of a 2019 Hilux in photos and that's what I want. I hate the stylized interior on cars now. Even the new Hilux is getting over the top.

That is the one thing we really liked when we looked at cars for her, the interior of the base (which is what we bought) Forester in 2017 could have been pulled from a 1997 Camry. It's just got what you need, the plastic is functional and there's a lot less of it than a TRD Tacoma. The interior feels about twice as big without the huge center console and all the crap. And the HUGE windows.

When the new Ranger was introduced my reaction is it sure seems more Toyota than the 3rd gen Tacoma.

But to answer your question from my perspective about why we keep buying Toyota it's familiarity. The one thing about even my Tacoma (can't speak to a 3rd gen) is that it's still clearly a Toyota product, there's a lineage and commonality I can trace in the way things work, tools you use, repair procedures. It's still seems designed to be worked on, at least as much as you do in a modern vehicle.

If Ford took the same approach with the Ranger being a global platform then I do think if the situation presented that I was replacing my Tacoma I would consider jumping ship. Ford does make a whole lot of trucks that get used, I don't doubt them on that. I once owned a Ranger, though, in the mid 1990s and it's why I ended up buying a Toyota. Back then they weren't made particularly well. But I think they've improved greatly (and Toyota fallen), so there's less of a distinction.
But I fit in the Gladiator
I saw a Gladiator in person the other day and thought to myself "That new Jeep pickup is bigger than I thought it would be." Therefore the conclusion must be the Gladiator is clearly bigger than a lifted 2nd gen Tacoma.

Last edited:

doug720

Expedition Leader
My buddy just bought a Tacoma, and is very disappointed.

Bad fuel economy - I get better in F150 4X4 5.0 by over 2 MPG!
Range - From LA to my house in Gardnerville Nevada is 441 miles, he can not make it without getting gas cruising at speed limit!!!
Ride sucks
Bed and interior space is tight.
He paid a premium for Toyota
Rear drum brakes

He regrets not getting a full size 1/2 ton PU - any brand. NO matter the brand - Tacoma, Ranger, Canyon, I think most people would be happier and better off with a full size 1/2 ton also.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Rear drum brakes
Everyone complains about that. Why do you want rear disc brakes? I'm asking honestly, what improvement are people after? I can lock the rear brakes on my Tacoma so doesn't seem like I need any more power. And I like that that parking brake on drums is going to hold on the trail without very much question.

MOguy

Explorer
Yeah, I get that a brake job on them is easier, especially with how the rotors float on the hubs now. But it's not something we are doing several times a year like oil. Doing rear drum brakes isn't horrible since it's something you do once every few years.

I agree, that is just the only thing I could come up with.

tacollie

Glamper
Having gone from midsize to full-size this year I can say the full size rocks on the highway. Mid size wins the rest of the time. I'm only 5'9". Tacoma was plenty of room for two people and two 60lbs dogs. I've had 4 Tacomas but I would look at the ranger. Gladiator wouldn't fly for me because no extended cab. I know 4 people who have had diesel Colorados. One loves it. The other three were all bought back under the lemon law which is a funny coincidence for me ?

Even when we bought our Tundra we were actually looking for F150s. Of the 10 Fords we looked at they were all beat. The two Tundras I looked at drove way better and one was a 07 with 189k miles. That's why I have a Toyota now and not a Ford.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Why not a full-size truck of you want to carry that much weight?

^^^^^^^
What he said...

Compact trucks are not for hauling loads, at least not in this country (yes I know the Hilux is rated to carry a ton in other markets. :rolleyes: )

If you want to carry something heavy (like a camper) get the right tool for the job. It's not like you'll be parking it in an urban parking garage or 'wheeling on gnarly trails with that camper on it anyway, so what's the advantage of a compact over a full sized?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
My buddy just bought a Tacoma, and is very disappointed....
Range - From LA to my house in Gardnerville Nevada is 441 miles, he can not make it without getting gas cruising at speed limit!!!

It amazes me how little consideration is given to fuel range by some manufacturers. Toyota, IMO, is one of the worst. My 04 Tacoma and '99 4runner both had piddly 18.5 gallon tanks. Seriously? On the 4runner that gave me just over 200 miles of usable range. Pathetic! The 07 4runner with its 23 gallon tank was better, but only a little better.

GM still puts (I think) 26 gallon tanks on their full size crew cab and double cab trucks, with no option for anything bigger. Ford and Ram, wisely, IMO, offer bigger tanks on their half tons (36 gallons for the Ford!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles