2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackangie

Helps to know where everyone is from regarding the deposit issue. Suspect it is going to be different country to country.

The D90 is coming first?!? I thought the 110 was first and then the 90 and the 130 much later :confused
I would say 90 & 110 will be released sept seeming as though they have both been seen testing everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blackangie

The boss...who drives the '97SW...saw that paint booth photo and said "you've got to be joking"

So I guess we're sticking with the real D90 ;)
Its a pre production shot, no bonnet no accessories, not even a right hand pillar cover, show him this, added a few goodies on from what has been seen on testers, colour is yuk but ya get the idea.
467b6b37db76652662b4e32024147a77.jpg

JeepColorado

I had an interesting convo at the local LR stealership today!

I asked a few questions related to deposits for a Defender and configurations. Let's just say the responses were relatively in line with what we know here although the two gents that have been with LR management for over a decade or so appear to be less excited about the Defender release and its configurations options than we seem to think on here; meaning, don't expect a ton of options but more so such as the Disco 5 options now.

First, they would not take a deposit because they have zero build specs and can't take a deposit on a vehicle with no price list or build spec or official delivery. Apparently this is to avoid the Tesla issues with delays and such! Who knows but they will not take anything because they can't guarantee anything.

Secondly, although they admit there will be a diesel option, the word on the street is there will NOT be coil options available for the US market as there is no enough demand for a commercial/utility version as they hope will reboot in EURO such as the LR3/4 commercial variants. Again, he expects the Defender to be very similar to options available on the D5 such as low range GB options with locker and a couple other wizbangs.

D90 is first, D110 next, and possibly a 130 for the US market. Release is going in September, however, first deliveries on orders are not expected until March 2020.

Don't kill the messenger, just passing what I heard directly from the management at a SoCal dealer!

It'd be incredibly disappointing to not have the coil option here in the States. It's difficult for me to believe that given the success of the Jeep Wrangler sitting on coils- specifically the Sahara (luxury version) and the Rubicon (most expensive version) to believe that LR can't see the demand for a luxury vehicle designed for off-road use that people are willing to pay a premium for. A Rubicon in particular tops out at almost $60K- it and the Sahara, both ride on coils over axles. 35s are a must for me when I think of an off-road/overlanding vehicle. I'm currently rolling my wife's Jeep WK2 Grand Cherokee on 32s waiting on this Defender, the new Bronco and what Jeep may do with a mid-cycle refresh of the Wrangler, and the tire size holds us back so much from where we'd like to go. I'm not even confident in 33s based on this experience; 35s are the perfect size to me.

SSG

If there's no coil option here in the USA then I will definitely pass on the new Defender. I will wait to see if the Bronco offers a diesel and some off road options like the 2020 Ford Superduty Tremor trim, which looks so so lovely.

Come on Ford put a Powestroke diesel in the Raptor and I would be all in but I digress haha.

REDROVER

Explorer
@JeepColorado
Are you trying to drive on Mars that you must have 35 inch tires and 33 won’t get you there ?
Haha
Wasn’t the 46 horsepower landrover with tires smaller than current Honda Civic that crossed continents?

I still absolutely hate the new wanna be defender, it will be fun to see them drop in value faster than falling rock,
And it’s gonna happen, all those hype will die as soon as ppl find out it’s just a Land Rover discovery.

JeepColorado

@JeepColorado
Are you trying to drive on Mars that you must have 35 inch tires and 33 won’t get you there ?
Haha
Wasn’t the 46 horsepower landrover with tires smaller than current Honda Civic that crossed continents?

I still absolutely hate the new wanna be defender, it will be fun to see them drop in value faster than falling rock,
And it’s gonna happen, all those hype will die as soon as ppl find out it’s just a Land Rover discovery.

Haha!, fair point!, perhaps some of my "need" for 35s has more to do with my love of a lifted vehicle rather than actual need. My build philosophy though is to have a vehicle that's over built for what you want to do- so while I could probably make 33s work- I don't like making things work- I'd rather run 35s on a trail that only needs 33s.

blackangie

It'd be incredibly disappointing to not have the coil option here in the States. It's difficult for me to believe that given the success of the Jeep Wrangler sitting on coils- specifically the Sahara (luxury version) and the Rubicon (most expensive version) to believe that LR can't see the demand for a luxury vehicle designed for off-road use that people are willing to pay a premium for. A Rubicon in particular tops out at almost $60K- it and the Sahara, both ride on coils over axles. 35s are a must for me when I think of an off-road/overlanding vehicle. I'm currently rolling my wife's Jeep WK2 Grand Cherokee on 32s waiting on this Defender, the new Bronco and what Jeep may do with a mid-cycle refresh of the Wrangler, and the tire size holds us back so much from where we'd like to go. I'm not even confident in 33s based on this experience; 35s are the perfect size to me.
We in Australia prefer the air option generally even though coil is an option.

Far too many benefits and its now a very reliable system according to general consensus on AU forum.

Stable load carrying, stable towing, instant lift, instant drop for carparks/ access.
Safety being low on freeway, extra ground clearance offroad, more wading depth, better clearance angles everywhere, maybe more travel being crosslinked?. More comfortable.

Having said that coil pilots have been spotted in the states so there is hope if one must have coils.

Maybe request through your dealer to pass the msg up to get the msg across there is a need. Or email LR H/O in the states directly?
e3dc1714f40c53867def6bb3966b26b5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior