Let's talk frying pans

billiebob

I laugh too when someone can't read the obvious joking sarcasm in a post.
only thing obvious is we are not in a bar where sincerity/sarcasm is obvious
On most forums, I count on sincerity, but there is that "ignore" button.

Last edited:

MaxYedor

Any particular reason you want to get away from cast iron?

You want non stick, easy clean up, and metal utensil OK. That pretty well describes cast iron and carbon steel, and I'd give the nod to cast iron due to cost.

Never seen a non-stick coating that holds up to metal utensils or high heat. They have a time and a place, but if I only had 1 pan, it wouldn't be non stick. The non stick pans I do use in the kitchen are Nordic Wear from the restaurant supply place, they're as good as my Al Clad non stick were, but a whole lot cheaper, so when they get smoked, throwing them away will hurt much less.

dcg141

Adventurer
I use cast iron at home but carbon steel camping. I have a skillet and a griddle that are carbon steel. Only cast iron I take camping anymore are dutch ovens.

shade

Any particular reason you want to get away from cast iron?

You want non stick, easy clean up, and metal utensil OK. That pretty well describes cast iron and carbon steel, and I'd give the nod to cast iron due to cost.

Never seen a non-stick coating that holds up to metal utensils or high heat. They have a time and a place, but if I only had 1 pan, it wouldn't be non stick. The non stick pans I do use in the kitchen are Nordic Wear from the restaurant supply place, they're as good as my Al Clad non stick were, but a whole lot cheaper, so when they get smoked, throwing them away will hurt much less.
Just throw away the cooking surface.

chet6.7

Explorer
I have a couple of DeBuyer carbon steel pans,the handles are angled differently than pans I have used,it can be a tight fit in the oven but I suspect it would work good on a campfire.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I've only recently started playing with cast iron and have fallen in love with it. Just gotta learn how to cook on it (compared to non-stick).

Never heard of carbon-steel pans. What's the difference between carbon and cast?

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I have a couple of DeBuyer carbon steel pans,the handles are angled differently than pans I have used,it can be a tight fit in the oven but I suspect it would work good on a campfire.

Great video. Answered all my questions. Gotta admit that the two, 12-inch cast iron pans in my Kanz Kitchen make it a very heavy chuck box.

I think I'll pick up a carbon pan and give it a try.

My favorite part of switching to cast from coated is the ability to use steel utensils. Don't always feel like I have to be so careful with stuff and it sounds like the same holds true for carbon.

MaxYedor

I've only recently started playing with cast iron and have fallen in love with it. Just gotta learn how to cook on it (compared to non-stick).

Never heard of carbon-steel pans. What's the difference between carbon and cast?

One thing I prefer with carbon steel over cast iron is how smooth they are. One of the main differences between old cast iron and newer cast iron is the surface texture. You can buy modern cast iron that's silky smooth, but it's super expensive, making carbon steel relatively cheap. They're built lighter than cast iron, but you don't always need the heft. Lodge cast iron still can't be beat from a value perceptive, and if it gets too dirty with stuck on goop, chuck it in the camp fire and it'll be perfectly clean in the morning, making it a bit better for camping IMHO if weight isn't a big concern.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Seasoned carbon steel, cast iron, teflon, seasoned steel.......my wife just picked up two porcelain coated pans and damn they are slippery, darn near flipped the eggs out of the pan. Will see how well they hold up....
As for camp cooking, anything coated in bacon grease works

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I live by cast iron and carbon steel at home. The only reason I use the cast iron camping is the short stubby handle fits in my camp kitchen, if you can fit the carbon steel I think it would be great too.

Although I do have to mention that I'm much less adverse to teflon coatings when camping because my camp gear gets much less use than at home. I wear through non-stick pans at home in less than a year. My camping/backpacking ones last many years because I just don't cook in them as much.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
Griswold cast iron at home. Griswold #6 fry pan with handle cut off camping; use a pot grabber.
Cast iron is seasoned with bacon grease.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles