Parking brakes on a M101a1 -how to keep with axle swap?

wvtradbow

Observer
I'm trying to figure out how to keep the parking brakes when I swap out the axle on a m101a1,I know it has been done but can't seem to find any info on the cables used.I'm not sure whether to try to save the original cables or get something new.don't know what others are doing about this...

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
I went cheap although I kept all of the parking brake parts on the trailer. Eventually I'll go with the parking brake backing plate. You just have to do some mods to make sure you get all of the throws set correctly.

wvtradbow

Observer
Seems like a simple set up from Etrailer however it says 13,14,15" wheels? I have 16" an I was wondering about brake cables,I guess just try to match something up.

I cut the cables and joined them in the middle with a cable adjuster. So I merged modern with old. It took some fiddling and adjustment but I finally got it working.

wvtradbow

Observer
Not sure I like this set up but it works an here's what I did plus it only cost $13 :

Attachments

• IMGP2391.JPG
    IMGP2391.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMGP2394.JPG
    IMGP2394.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMGP2396.JPG
    IMGP2396.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
  • IMGP2397.JPG
    IMGP2397.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 33
  • IMGP2392.JPG
    IMGP2392.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMGP2390.JPG
    IMGP2390.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 31

wvtradbow

Observer
Now here's the part I don't like..I wish I could make it look a little more professional, an This is a new Lippert axle with 6x5.5 Toyota bolt pattern an when I put the wheels an tires on with a 1/4" spacer the cable was touching the tire,so fearing it'll rub I tried to pin the cable against the frame closer to the spring,but it seem to put a bind when pulled an actually pulled apart,(there's not a lot of cable to grab) so I decided to go with another 1/4" spacer on the wheel BUT that leaves me not very comfortable with the amount of lug to grab. SO WHAT TO DO???

Attachments

• IMGP2400.JPG
    IMGP2400.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • IMGP2399.JPG
    IMGP2399.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 15

dstock

Explorer
Now here's the part I don't like..I wish I could make it look a little more professional, an This is a new Lippert axle with 6x5.5 Toyota bolt pattern an when I put the wheels an tires on with a 1/4" spacer the cable was touching the tire,so fearing it'll rub I tried to pin the cable against the frame closer to the spring,but it seem to put a bind when pulled an actually pulled apart,(there's not a lot of cable to grab) so I decided to go with another 1/4" spacer on the wheel BUT that leaves me not very comfortable with the amount of lug to grab. SO WHAT TO DO???

If you are not using bolt on wheel spacers, I highly suggest you reconsider. There is no question there isn't enough lug to grab onto there. Adaptit USA can make you whatever you need, in this case a 1/2" 6x5.5 to 6x5.5 spacer.

Hey wvtradbow,
how is the modification for the parking brake working? I just put the same backing plate on my M101CDN and am going to try to hook up the parking brake lever this weekend. Any advice or anything you would do differently? What’s the hook piece of hardware?

Thanks for posting your setup, I plan to shamelessly copy it

wvtradbow

Observer
Turned out pretty well.still have a little tinkering to get it farther away from the tire,I ended up turning the J bolt an cutting the slot on the axle e-brake clip holder so it pulls more of an angle,if that makes sense,I'll try to get some pics of it done,I also went back to one 1/4" spacer so the lug nuts grab better,Copy away..If ya come up with a better plan. I'd luv to see it..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles