Rough cost of composite panel / FRP build

The Artisan

Adventurer
Hey thanks for these pics, I can't quite tell what exactly I'm looking at. In the second pic I'm guessing that is the XPS foam sandwiched in between the phenolic? Is that what the orange sheet is in the first pic? and is that a sample of the polyurea next to it? Am I correct in understanding that the phenolic is basically an alternative to epoxy and would still be used in conjunction with fiberglass or carbon or something similar?
I use phenolic sheets instead of an epoxy base fiberglass. Yes that is a sample of polyurea that is also used.
Kevin

I use phenolic sheets instead of an epoxy base fiberglass. Yes that is a sample of polyurea that is also used.
Kevin

Can you expand a little on why you chose to use the materials you chose, particularly phenolic sheets in place of fiberglass+epoxy resin? what are the pros and cons of phenolic sheets?

Also am I understanding correctly that the ceramic microbead coating is intended to provide some extra thermal + acoustic insulation, and the polyurea is the 'finish layer', a tougher alternative to gelcoat?

I've been trying to read up on phenolic, but haven't been able to find any information on using phenolic for boatbuilding, motorhomes, or other similar use cases. (if you have answered these questions elsewhere point me in the right direction).

The Artisan

Adventurer
The co I bought the panels from used phenolic. I had samples sent from different companies as well as fiberglass skinned and the phenolic samples were stronger for the thickness of the sheet. It also depends on what type of glass was used to make the panels.
Yes the ceramic beading is for insulative properties. Polyurea is used on truck beds so yes stronger than a gell coat.
Kevin

rruff

Explorer
Can you expand a little on why you chose to use the materials you chose, particularly phenolic sheets in place of fiberglass+epoxy resin? what are the pros and cons of phenolic sheets?

They make foam core panels also. The advantage is lower cost. They'd probably be happy to custom build the panels for your rig. I'm curious what the price would be for that.

Generally for DIY you'd bond aluminum angle to the inside and outside of each edge/corner to fasten the panels together.

The Artisan

Adventurer

They make foam core panels also. The advantage is lower cost. They'd probably be happy to custom build the panels for your rig. I'm curious what the price would be for that.

Generally for DIY you'd bond aluminum angle to the inside and outside of each edge/corner to fasten the panels together.
That is where my panels came from 3 yrs ago. They no longer make them and sold off all their vaccuume tables.
Kevib

The Artisan

Adventurer
Have a general idea yet on cost on panels/extrusions for a DIY flatbed pop up cab over (tacoma)?
Trying to stay around $6,000 + shipping on truckbed version this includes tilting bed platform. Extra cost for extra windows. Flatbed versions will be more depending on size. Pm me to discuss further
Kevin

Last edited:
By tilting bed platform do you mean like the style of camper where it is a cabover and the mattress+platform tilts up with some storage underneath or where the bed platform is above the living space like the dinette and tilts up out of the way?

The Artisan

Adventurer
By tilting bed platform do you mean like the style of camper where it is a cabover and the mattress+platform tilts up with some storage underneath or where the bed platform is above the living space like the dinette and tilts up out of the way?
A simple tilt up platform to create space below in the bed of the truck. It would tilt from the front of the cab. The topper can be deeper to allow for storage under it. I can pm you some cross sections if needed.
Kevin

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles