Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

trae

Adventurer
Maybe a dumb question, but. Can you put the tire on top of the trailer, below the tent? Maybe ratchet strap or something similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

misubisu

Maybe a dumb question, but. Can you put the tire on top of the trailer, below the tent? Maybe ratchet strap or something similar?
Not mine... but someone on this list:

My preference is to have the tent as low as possible, for a lower centre of gravity, for off road towing.
That's why I fitted the gas struts to get the tent up and down easily.

trae

Adventurer

My preference is to have the tent as low as possible, for a lower centre of gravity, for off road towing.

Ah nice!

Is your mod in here as well? I’m making my way through early 2018 of this thread.

Kraxler

What kind of mud flaps did you use?

Do you mind sharing what part number bumper and tire carrier you used? Looks factory.
I got the bumper and integrated tire carrier off of Amazon. Have to use a wheel adapter to go from 4.5 on 5 to 5on 5. Although I'm working on using a spare tire relocator to lower the spare about 2 in so I can slide the tempt further back. The bumper is mounted to the hitch and the two tow hook mounting points.
Smittybilt 76651D SRC Classic Rear Bumper with D-Ring Mounts, Hitch and Tire Carrier for 1976-2006 Jeep Wrangler

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I got the bumper and integrated tire carrier off of Amazon. Have to use a wheel adapter to go from 4.5 on 5 to 5on 5. Although I'm working on using a spare tire relocator to lower the spare about 2 in so I can slide the tempt further back. The bumper is mounted to the hitch and the two tow hook mounting points.
Smittybilt 76651D SRC Classic Rear Bumper with D-Ring Mounts, Hitch and Tire Carrier for 1976-2006 Jeep Wrangler
Thanks

mfcoffroad

I'm in CT. Not too far away, lets see if someone else takes you up on it that is in more need than I am. If they dont move for you, I'll take a ride.... How far are you from GWB?
GWB is about 45 minutes no traffic. I'm right off 80, in Rockaway. I don't forsee them moving as it's pretty niche of a market....3 wheels and for a trailer lol.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
View attachment 523719

How easy is to get the tent up with the struts ? The way the bars bind in the tracks it was hard enough to get them up with two people.

misubisu

How easy is to get the tent up with the struts ? The way the bars bind in the tracks it was hard enough to get them up with two people.
With two people, it takes literally several seconds to get it up and down.
I can get the tent up and down by myself, but it's more time consuming:
Getting it up by myself is pretty easy, I work around it lifting a few centimetres on each corner at a time.
Getting it down by myself is a little trickier... the best way to do it is to attach 4 ratchet straps (one to each corner) and ratchet it down a few centimetres each corner, one at a time until it is down. Takes about 5 minutes.

The trick is to work out exactly how much gas you need in your struts, so the lift is just right.
I explain how I did that in a previous post... you'll have to look it up.

mfcoffroad

I raise and lower my tent with linear actuators. I been scratching my head about this for awhile and decided to dive in. I got 4 -50lb. 10 inch actuators and remote box from progressive automation in BC Canada. Good stuff. But they work flawlessly. Very smooth quiet and fast. I can raise my tent and awning 8 inches in about 5 seconds. Im supper happy the way it turned out had to do little cutting here and there but I finished in a day no welding few bolts and cutting disk on a grinder to cut 3 inch slot on front of tent rack that slide down inside main square tubing. Very sturdy up or down really don’t need pins anymore. All 4 corners raise with in 1/8 of inch of each other. So now it just push remote button up or downView attachment 461440View attachment 461441View attachment 461442View attachment 461444View attachment 461442View attachment 461443
Could these mounts be welded instead of bolted on? This way I would not have to notch the inner square tube?

RichardPT

Richard

I attached a spare to the top of my trailer using ratchets hooked to the existing attachment point on top/front of the main box (through the centre of the spare wheel). Has not moved or shifted over 5k miles ;) . It does add weight to the top and with the tent even higher up the trailer gets to be a bit wobbly but I managed not to flip it both at highway speeds and moderate off-roading.

misubisu

I raise and lower my tent with linear actuators...
This is an excellent idea, and I almost took this path... but I couldn't justify the difference in price. Fitting the gas struts was a fraction of the price, and as I rarely go camping by myself, didn't see it as an issue. Even when I have gone camping by myself, I've had no problem finding someone to help me get the tent up or down (if I couldn't be bothered doing it solo, which really isn't hard to do). Plus I was a little worried that if one of the actuators failed, It would be a PITA to move the tent. But I do love the idea! There are times when I don't even raised the tent... if I'm not going to use the awning, I don't raise the tent.

mfcoffroad

Kinda don't look like a Scout anymore. We are proud of this awesome trailer and what it have morphed into. Ready for season Two.

OK You get my vote for the nicest build. My company is currently building a pretty sweet setup and were are starting with the propane. We have the 11 lb Worthington, Camp Chef Triton Water heater, and have a design for a built in Dometic 2 burner setup. We want a quick disconnect propane line setup. Should we have two difference regulators branched off of the main line, one for the heater and one for the burner, and which ones do you recommend due to the PSI rating for the units?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles