Colorado / Canyon bent frame

shade

GQtFok1.jpg

Toyota denied this claim too, some grandma tossed a case of Bud Light in the bed in the grocery store parking lot and snap...
From the rust, it looks like Grandma qualified for a new frame anyway.

Last edited:

rkj__

Adventurer
I heard the word "damage" used frequently in that video. He even said that it wasn't a good idea to jump it as he had. No matter the make, if you're jumping a production truck with any frequency, the abuse will accelerate wear & cause damage.

No doubt. The owner knows he "sent it" too far on that jump, but he is still out there wheeling that same truck in the desert, and it has not folded in half yet. There are many more videos of the ZR2 posted on the channel since that video was posted.

shade

No doubt. The owner knows he "sent it" too far on that jump, but he is still out there wheeling that same truck in the desert, and it has not folded in half yet. There are many more videos of the ZR2 posted on the channel since that video was posted.

Yet. If he kept exposing the frame to the point that the bed folded up into the cab, it would fail, just like any other truck.

I get your larger point about not declaring the Colorado to be junk because some frames have failed. I agree; it's too early to make that call, but I can understand the concern.

chet6.7

Explorer
The chassis of a chassis cab truck is different then the chassis of a PU,I wonder if the CC would be the better option when towing offroad.

shade

The chassis of a chassis cab truck is different then the chassis of a PU,I wonder if the CC would be the better option when towing offroad.
I'm sure they can tow more, but the vehicles are also larger overall, and weigh more.

They use the same basic body-on-frame construction, but are typically a commercial vehicle, with much heavier construction.

chet6.7

Explorer
I'm sure they can tow more, but the vehicles are also larger overall, and weigh more.

They use the same basic body-on-frame construction, but are typically a commercial vehicle, with much heavier construction.
I was talking about the shape of the chassis,compare a 3500 PU chassis to a 3500 chassis cab.
H1950.JPG

https://d323w7klwy72q3.cloudfront.n....ytimg.com/vi/0NycEpgVf0w/hqdefault.jpg[/IMG]

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
fullsize chassis cabs get strength from flex. Everything flexes. Even an oil tanker. Ever see foot thick railroad tracks spring up and down as cars cross them?

An F550 is a boxed frame under the cab, rear half of the chassis is standard C frame.

shade

I was talking about the shape of the chassis,compare a 3500 PU chassis to a 3500 chassis cab.
H1950.JPG

https://d323w7klwy72q3.cloudfront.n....ytimg.com/vi/0NycEpgVf0w/hqdefault.jpg[/IMG]

hqdefault.jpg
Do you mean the straighter frame than that of a lighter truck?

Overlandtowater

I see a after market weld in brace company in the works just this one post has scared the crap out of all Colorado owners and they are now all looking at some way to beef up the frame of their trucks.

Umbrarian

Observer
My WAG is the tongue weight was too high, the load was not secure, and when he hit the bump the kinetic load rating on the tongue went off the chart.

shade

Could be, but then again, all of these trucks are designed to handle certain loads and uses, and the shape of a frame develops from that point. A straighter frame designed for the same loads as a more curved frame may have no advantage.

I see a after market weld in brace company in the works just this one post has scared the crap out of all Colorado owners and they are now all looking at some way to beef up the frame of their trucks.

As was discussed in another thread on this topic, welding may not be a good idea since the Colorado frame uses high strength steel that may not respond well.

I also think you're being a little dramatic about crap flowing from all Colorado owners. For perspective, the Tacoma has a long history of frame rust issues that resulted in large numbers of frame replacements, but there wasn't mass hysteria over it.

billiebob

Something is wrong with the truck for sure, this is the 5th ZR2 I've seen with a bent frame this month. Cannot all be driver error. Interestingly the ZR2 and the Camaro both have some revolutionary shock system developed in Formula One. And GM has a recall out for the front shocks because things break.

Don't ya love a GM Warranty.

So far they have all been the high end ZR2.

But regardless of how fast these guys were going, the only damage is a bent frame. A lot of other things should have broken first. The frame should not be the weakest point.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I forget. But IIRC you can drill or weld to the sides of a frame, never the top or bottom. Rules vary, check with your OEM.

shade

I forget. But IIRC you can drill or weld to the sides of a frame, never the top or bottom. Rules vary, check with your OEM.
Those guidelines may not apply to high strength steel used in ever thinner, lighter applications.
https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...bend-a-truck-frame.206436/page-5#post-2645276

If I owned one of these, there's no way I'd weld anything to the frame until more was known about this possible issue. It would be very easy for GM to credibly say that welding contributed to a failure in an area near the welds.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles