Black Series HQ Tips, Tricks, and Learning.....

bshinn

Those chains are something that will go in short order on my Crux. I can see the mounts getting fatigued and tearing off the chassis or trailing arms. They should have used limit straps to soften the blow when the suspension topps out.

Model97

Yup! Definitely don't want to overextend any shock (top-out). Worse negative impact than a bottom-out as few shocks have beefy top-out bumpers. Another reason is that the coils are statically captive. If the suspension extends too far, the coils could pop out. The shock travel would typically mitigate that, but it's a possibility however remote.
Double check your chains. One of my was missing the shackle. A shackle-less shackle. Easy fix.

Minjin

I am looking into buying a new off-road camper. I like the looks and build of the Black Series HQ 15. I would like to ask you all how pleased are you with your purchase? If you had it to do all over again would you buy it? I see a lot of posts saying that it's Chinese crap. I just want good feedback from current owners. Thanks!

Flight75

I'm in the process of purchasing a BS Dominator and should have it within the next couple of weeks. The dealer did the PDI and are taking care of some warranty fixes before it gets delivered. For those who already own one, what were some of the first upgrades/additions did you do? What is your experience with the Dominator so far?

Thanks.

sobiloff

We came home from three months overseas and heard the smoke alarm in our HQ15 beeping. Turns out the main batteries were completely flat. Not sure how that happened as it was parked in the sun the entire time and I don't believe I left anything running. My dealer suggested that the inverter might have been left on and that could have drained the batteries faster than the solar panels could recharge them, even if no 120V items were running.

Bummer.

So, it looks like we'll be replacing the batteries. We'll bite the bullet and upgrade the entire system to use LiFePo4, and get a charge controller that won't let the batteries get drawn down too far. Good points earlier in this thread about getting a more informative controller—maybe I would have caught whatever was draining my system if I'd had a better indicator.

Also agree that the "mattress" is way too firm—and I like a firm mattress! (My wife swears that it's just a foundation and not actually a mattress.)

@Minjin: We're pretty pleased, but we were already aware going into it that every single trailer is going to take some work to get right. They aren't cheap Chinese junk, but there are a few fit-n-finish items that need tweaking. We did a thorough walk-through with our dealer when we picked it up, ending up spending most of the day with them getting stuff just right. Of course there were a few things we missed, but you can't catch everything in the parking lot—sometimes you have to just live in the thing for a while first.

Speaking of which, how do we adjust the shower door to form a better seal? Ours leaks pretty badly if we're at all tilted to the right. I think @kevin_j mentioned how to earlier, but I can't find it any longer.

PSea

I just posted this in another thread. In short...tread carefully. Sobiloff is spot on. But it gets worse.

There was a thread here about Black Series. An over hyping dealer (shocker) jumped on the thread and started over-selling imo. The thread was removed because according to Expedition Portal moderators a lawsuit was initiated by Black Series. If you read some threads on the internet, you'll see this isn't the first time BS has done this. They are trolling forums and then attacking people who speak out about their products. I can now confirm the same has happened to me. Although there's been no suit against me, they openly stated to my dealer they wouldn't support my purchase because of my comments on "social media." I almost dropped the phone when the dealer stated it so candidly. They don't respond to my questions. They provide no details and deny knowledge of any problems (wheels coming off in transit, knockoff wheel bearings for example). They certainly won't allow me to join their facebook group. However, there's an Austrailian focused FB group that has a ton of details. All I was doing was researching OTHER'S claims. ...and I had a deposit down to buy a Dominator. I openly stated this in the forums as well. DO YOUR RESEARCH.

I started a forum for Black Series here. http://blackseries.freeforums.net/

I did it so people can speak openly and honestly about their experiences. I sure as hell won't be removing any threads over there. I intended it to be a place to share ideas. I'm guessing my experience won't be the last experience of this nature. This company lacks leadership and doesn't deserve people's hard earned money. In short, check out my experience as I detailed in the new forum. At least you'll know what you're dealing with. As for my purchase, I cancelled it. I refuse to deal w/ a bunch of idiots who don't know what their selling and act like a bunch of children. They could have easily reached out to me and addressed my concerns.....and we could have moved on. When people have a good experience they'll tell a few people. When people have a bad experience you tend to hear A LOT more about it. Apparently, the idiots at the top have zero understanding of customer service. Have to laugh at the idea of being "black" balled by black series. And btw, this behavior started right from my very first contact when they had no idea why I was reaching out to them. I received no response and after days (possibly a week+), I emailed them to tell them I'd look elsewhere.

If I buy one, it won't be retail. I will wait to purchase something used, and use the extreme savings to make everything the way it should be. This was the worst (almost) purchasing experience I've ever had. Glad it happened before I purchased. They have a lot to learn...

Good luck.

HQ15fan

We came home from three months overseas and heard the smoke alarm in our HQ15 beeping. Turns out the main batteries were completely flat. Not sure how that happened as it was parked in the sun the entire time and I don't believe I left anything running. My dealer suggested that the inverter might have been left on and that could have drained the batteries faster than the solar panels could recharge them, even if no 120V items were running.

I doubt it was the inverter draw. But I find it easy myself to leave the fridge on, and that thing will need to work hard when the sun is shining on a closed trailer for months at a time. Anyways, sucks the batteries died :( What LifePo4 battery are you considering? I'm looking around myself too. They are expensive still!

So, it looks like we'll be replacing the batteries. We'll bite the bullet and upgrade the entire system to use LiFePo4, and get a charge controller that won't let the batteries get drawn down too far. Good points earlier in this thread about getting a more informative controller—maybe I would have caught whatever was draining my system if I'd had a better indicator.

Yes good idea. Make sure to get a MPPT controller that has a lithium setting (not all do). Or one that has user programmable settings, so you can set it for your LifePo4 battery.

Also agree that the "mattress" is way too firm—and I like a firm mattress! (My wife swears that it's just a foundation and not actually a mattress.)

Yup it is hard! I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LAK9A4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and cut off 6 inches with a bread knife (as it was long) so it would fit the HQ15 bed. HUGE upgrade.

Speaking of which, how do we adjust the shower door to form a better seal? Ours leaks pretty badly if we're at all tilted to the right. I think @kevin_j mentioned how to earlier, but I can't find it any longer.

Sorry, didn't have to deal with that. So can't help.

Barthold

PSea

Check out Sterling Pro Chargers. They can be completely configured to meet just about any charging needs with custom configurations. Ie, it's not just a dip switch to select between battery types. You can configure the voltage for each stage.

HQ15fan

Attachments

• 1561006311365.png
    1561006311365.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 24

kevin_j

HI Folks.. Sorry for the late reply, been away from the forums for a bit.
We never really got ours to completely quit leaking. One thing we did however was to adjust the spring loaded rollers at the top to increase pressure slightly and we always lock it when inside. That seems to cut some of the leaking. We just use a synthetic towel from REI on the floor when showering. I also like to kick a small amount of left bias when I level to keep the water flowing into the drain.

Been spending a lot of time in the mountains around WY and ID this last month or so. I picked up some rugs that just about fit the complete width of the walkway. That combined with a curtain for the door and blocking the lower door with a rolled up towel at night have made a HUGE difference!!! Those floors not being insulated allow a ton of cold to creep in at night. So far I've done a total of 16 nights below freezing but where the temps during the day are in the 40's or much higher. I've had zero issues with the water system. Just be very careful with how far you let the battery bank drop at night. If the furnace doesn't get at least 12.4-6 volts the Dometic ignitor won't fire.

I also had another experience towing this puppy up a crazy single track that was greasy slick, rock laden, lots of off-camber, and not something I would normally have taken the trailer on. It did amazing. The KO2s really helped on the slick off-camber sections! That was probably the scariest part. Had to be super careful not to spike the brakes. I had my Land Cruiser in low range and used the engine to keep things slow and made sure not give the trailer a chance to lock up the wheels. It was pretty awesome being able to do that....afterwards of course :)

HQ15fan

Hi Kevin, very cool! Thanks for the rolled up towel tips. Do you have any pictures of your single track experience, love to see that!

Barthold

kevin_j

Hi Kevin, very cool! Thanks for the rolled up towel tips. Do you have any pictures of your single track experience, love to see that!

Barthold
For sure! I wish, but I was by myself and little too nervous to run a camera at the same time :) Next time I get into something like that I'll make sure to get some pics.

HQ15fan

For sure! I wish, but I was by myself and little too nervous to run a camera at the same time :) Next time I get into something like that I'll make sure to get some pics.

Understood! It is way scary to see the trailer lean over left or right in the rear view mirror, but I keep telling myself its center of gravity is quite low, so it is OK :) BTW Getting KO2s was a good idea, much better tires than the stock ones.

kevin_j

Wait, so the HQ15 isn't coming with jerry can holders and the firewood box anymore? We're right there with you though. We usually have 10Gals on the back and another 10 in a truck. That extra 20 plus drinking water containers can really extend your time out!! If your using Scepter cans they make this really nice spout that we use to fill the main tank. We just pull the nozzle off and use the tube to fill into the main tank. A friend of mine also uses a shaker hose that works really well. You just have to get the can higher than the tank fill.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles