Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Kraxler

In castle rock for the weekend then heading to the monarch pass area. I have 6 bars that support the tent. The tent came with 4 and I contacted Smittybilt and got 2 more, for free.

Kraxler

Setup from last night.522039522040

Had a strong wind storm and some rain. Tent held up well. Didn't raise the tent for the short night. Trailer pulls very well. Jeep tends to get warm going up hills on the interstate and mine likes to drink oil. Need to figure out what's going on there. Has been doing that off and on since almost new but this trip is really bad.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Setup from last night.View attachment 522039View attachment 522040

Had a strong wind storm and some rain. Tent held up well. Didn't raise the tent for the short night. Trailer pulls very well. Jeep tends to get warm going up hills on the interstate and mine likes to drink oil. Need to figure out what's going on there. Has been doing that off and on since almost new but this trip is really bad.

Sounds like a fun trip ahead.
If ya make it through Grand junction lemme know.

Silverback07

Adventurer
Well I've decided to put my scout up for sell. We love it but have decided to move to something different. Here's the listing https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/scout-trailer-with-cvt-tent-and-air-conditioning.206265/
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread with all kinds of great ideas and suggestions. I'll keep up with this thread to see what other great ideas y'all have!

Good luck with the sale! Can you do us a favor, don't delete your pics from the threads? I still want to put AC in mine and have been eyeballing the Climate Right for a very long time.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Setup from last night.View attachment 522039View attachment 522040

How does an awning mount to the those right angle 2" square tubes?

jojackc

Who all is using the smittybilt RTT? Anyone else having problems with bugs getting in? Has anyone made improvements to keep it from happening? We went out camping two weekends ago and I ended up killing 5 spiders that made their way in. The first one was found on my daughters hand. Lets say the wife isn't happy lol.

misubisu

Who all is using the smittybilt RTT? Anyone else having problems with bugs getting in?
I've got the Smittybilt 2 man RTT and I have never had an insect in there unless I didn't zip up the fly screens.
I always make sure the folding slots are closed properly after the tent is erected.
Maybe you've got more bugs where you camp :)

Kraxler

Have the Smittybilt RTT XL and was wondering about that too. It does not seem to seal very well at the pivot point covers and also where the pole for the anex extension mounts to the base. Was thinking sone heavy duty screen material and some Velcro. Will have to look at it some more while camping the next several days.

I don't have an awning mounted, yet. Will have to figure that out also when the time comes.

jojackc

Have the Smittybilt RTT XL and was wondering about that too. It does not seem to seal very well at the pivot point covers and also where the pole for the anex extension mounts to the base. Was thinking sone heavy duty screen material and some Velcro. Will have to look at it some more while camping the next several days.

I don't have an awning mounted, yet. Will have to figure that out also when the time comes.

I also have the XL and the pivot point covers is where I am sure the bugs are getting in. My daughters hand was pretty much right next to it when she woke up and said there is something crawling on my hand. After I killed that spider I had to check the whole tent and found two more. The next day I found two more but didn't say anything to the wife lol. I was thinking maybe sewing in some extra velcro as well to make sure I can seal it off completely. The annex also has a lot of open spots that bugs can get in at. My wife left a light on one night while we where out at the camp fire and the annex was full of flying bugs. That she can live with, but I have to figure out a way to keep spiders out of the sleeping area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles