Questions about trailer solar systems and charging off the tow vehicle, and shore power

carbon60

Explorer
The monitor still shows a 2.7 amp draw all the time though. It's pretty consistent.

How large is the bank? (I didn't read all the way back.)

Float charge could be 2.7A if the bank is large enough, I think. (Could be wrong on that.) Meaning the monitor is wired to the shunt backwards…

A.

dreadlocks

if you unplug the victron it resets to 100% until you recalibrate it.. when you know the battery is fully charged you are supposed to either manually calibrate it at 100% or setup the auto calibrate so it gets triggered by your charging setup..

If the battery is really at 100% right now, drain it down to 50% and check voltage against SOC and see if they are in agreement.

john61ct

Adventurer
Unplugging the charger should not be rebooting the monitor, that needs to stay on all the time.

And does not draw much.

Find out what that big draw is!

Forget SoC for now

How large is the bank? (I didn't read all the way back.)

Float charge could be 2.7A if the bank is large enough, I think. (Could be wrong on that.) Meaning the monitor is wired to the shunt backwards…

A.

Bank is 2 6v 245 amp FLA batteries. So a 12v 245 amp system.

Update: Had to go out of town for work and didn't get much done. I got a clamp meter and tried some initial measurements but it didn't make much sense. Everything is showing amps but nothing matches what the monitor says is being drawn. Meanwhile the voltage is still 13.5 ish and the charger stays in float.

I have a remote hydration system on the way. Once its in I'm going to button up the trailer. I think it's all working I just have to figure out the monitor issues.

As far as I can tell, it is. Pretty clearly marked, one side for the battery and the other side for everything else.

I think it's pretty clear I don't know what to expect...totally out of my element with electrical stuff. :)

Also realized that while the accessory items like the lights and water pump are grounded, the bank itself does not appear to be. Is that an issue? All the negative connections go to something else.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
If anything works, with the shore power turned off, then the bank is grounded.

But maybe not grounded properly...

If loads are grounded to the chassis, then the end of the shunt away from the battery should also be grounded to the chassis. The object is to have all electrons to/from the battery flowing through the shunt.

As it is, that should be happening, but...

Um...it's a bit of a myth that electricity follows the path of least resistance. It will actually follow all available paths. Of course, more will flow where the resistance is least.

I see a possibility of electrons flowing through the chassis getting back to the battery via a non-optimal path. Like through something else...like the Iota or the meter, and then to the ground at the shunt.

Adding a nice fat ground wire from the chassis to the shunt should provide an optimum path back to the battery.

The lack of which could theoretically be causing whacky meter readings...

dreadlocks

yeah should be wired up, Battery -> Shunt -> Chassis/Everything Else.. nothing should be connected to negative bank terminal until after it goes through the shunt.

Right. That's how I have it.
If what I assume you mean 'bank' is battery. Would need its negative grounded or those mentioned appliances (lights. waterpump) wont draw any current or otherwise work at all.
Then I'm grounded. Everything works.
If anything works, with the shore power turned off, then the bank is grounded.

But maybe not grounded properly...

If loads are grounded to the chassis, then the end of the shunt away from the battery should also be grounded to the chassis. The object is to have all electrons to/from the battery flowing through the shunt.

As it is, that should be happening, but...

Um...it's a bit of a myth that electricity follows the path of least resistance. It will actually follow all available paths. Of course, more will flow where the resistance is least.

I see a possibility of electrons flowing through the chassis getting back to the battery via a non-optimal path. Like through something else...like the Iota or the meter, and then to the ground at the shunt.

Adding a nice fat ground wire from the chassis to the shunt should provide an optimum path back to the battery.

The lack of which could theoretically be causing whacky meter readings...
I'll try that. I think I have a nice fat wire even.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94