Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

misubisu

Has anyone explored mounting the spare tire underneath the trailer? The Tuff Stuff trailer , which looks very similar , has the spare mounted underneath.
It would dramatically effect the ground clearance. One of the reasons I bought the Scout was the ground clearance. I guess if that wasn't important to you, a wheel underneath would be workable. It'd be a chore to get it out and in!

ebrabaek

Adventurer
You can see in the picture my door tilts down. There's a post earlier also of someone else having the same problem, I thought it was a problem with all Scouts.

View attachment 521370

I see now what you meant. I guess mine don't do that, but as my added bumper is very close I don't have but 1/2 inch clearance between the door and bumper. I wonder what torqued to flex the door downward.

Catalanbull

Thanks guys, the hinges seem to be all fine. I'll contact Smittybilt and see if they have any suggestion. I know it's happening to other people, I'll report back!

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
It would dramatically effect the ground clearance. One of the reasons I bought the Scout was the ground clearance. I guess if that wasn't important to you, a wheel underneath would be workable. It'd be a chore to get it out and in!

With the height of the trailer I doubt it would affect the clearance. I had my spare mounted when I had my M416 for many years. Never hit it and taking it down was no different than on any pickup.

I'll have to see how the frame is and if there is a space big enough for the tire. The Tuff Stuff trailer, which is almost the same as the SB has the spare underneath.

You can see in the picture my door tilts down. There's a post earlier also of someone else having the same problem, I thought it was a problem with all Scouts.

Just open the door and grab the left bottom edge and lift up. it should straighten out. I see it happening when people have the door open and lean on it. SB even has a warning sticker on the rear door that says do not lean on door when open.

mine dropped when the kids though t it was a swing, lifted up on it and its back to normal. Hinges are beef so its not in the hinges, the door wasnt designed to hold weight.

misubisu

With the height of the trailer I doubt it would affect the clearance. I had my spare mounted when I had my M416 for many years. Never hit it and taking it down was no different than on any pickup.
I'll have to see how the frame is and if there is a space big enough for the tire. The Tuff Stuff trailer, which is almost the same as the SB has the spare underneath.
How it will affect the clearance is based on where you intend to take the trailer (stating the obvious I guess).
My HiLux cab chases had the spare underneath, on a wind down mechanism, which made it easy to get it up and down. Mounting a similar mechanism would make the wheel sit even lower (when in the home position). Plus the wheel on the HiLux was around 15% thinner than the Scout trailer wheel. Also, the HiLux was designed to have the wheel underneath and there was a cavity built in to the undercarriage.

If you made up a plate with wheel studs on it and bolted the wheel directly to the underside frame on the Scout trailer, you may get away with it (there is enough room under there, as I explored every option before I mounted my spare wheel on the back of my Scout trailer). But bolting the wheel directly to the underside would make it difficult to get it out and in (especially for me, as I have no upper body strength... one of the realities of being female :)).

Last edited:

Catalanbull

Just open the door and grab the left bottom edge and lift up. it should straighten out. I see it happening when people have the door open and lean on it. SB even has a warning sticker on the rear door that says do not lean on door when open.

mine dropped when the kids though t it was a swing, lifted up on it and its back to normal. Hinges are beef so its not in the hinges, the door wasnt designed to hold weight.
I just tried and also fastened the screws, a little improvement but it still bends down a little bit. Tomorrow I'll call SB and see what suggestion they have.

Thanks!

jojackc

I just tried and also fastened the screws, a little improvement but it still bends down a little bit. Tomorrow I'll call SB and see what suggestion they have.

Thanks!

Mine does it after the wife or kids decide to hang from it. Like it was said before if you lift up hard before latching it it will be straight again for awhile lol. I have been looking into different hinges because I feel this is the problem. I haven't pulled the trigger yet because out of the things I want to do to the trailer fixing a sagging door isn't in the picture yet haha. Its funny they would use the same hinges for the small doors as they would for that big one.

mmrocek

Observer
So our trailers come with electric brakes, which is great. But neither my Jeep, nor my Tacoma (or my PPV Tahoe for that matter) have a brake controller built in. Plus, if I let one of my buddies borrow the trailer for the weekend, most drive jeeps, 4Runners and Tacomas as well. So I figure I'll share the solution I found: https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Curt/C51180.html

We'll see how well it works. I'll report back once I run the Phoenix to Flagstaff and back route in the next couple weekends - decent elevation change. Has anyone here used this device before?

Kraxler

Road trip. Visiting daughter in Twin Falls before heading to Colorado.521807521807521808521809521810521811521812And some modes done. Moved the tongue box back after relocating the spare tire to the rear. Bought a smittybilt bumper and tire carrier. Had a bracket welded to use the trailers trailer hitch and the two recovery points. Also modified the jack brackets to work with the bumper. Propane tank mounted on a power tank bracket. Also Friday missed up most of the electrical. The ac charger for the lithium ion battery works great. Still need to work out n the solar panel when I get home.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Road trip. Visiting daughter in Twin Falls before heading to Colorado.View attachment 521807View attachment 521807View attachment 521808View attachment 521809View attachment 521810View attachment 521811View attachment 521812And some modes done. Moved the tongue box back after relocating the spare tire to the rear. Bought a smittybilt bumper and tire carrier. Had a bracket welded to use the trailers trailer hitch and the two recovery points. Also modified the jack brackets to work with the bumper. Propane tank mounted on a power tank bracket. Also Friday missed up most of the electrical. The ac charger for the lithium ion battery works great. Still need to work out n the solar panel when I get home.

That looks very nice. Where in CO are ya heading?

T-Rey1

Adventurer
Road trip. Visiting daughter in Twin Falls before heading to Colorado.View attachment 521807View attachment 521807View attachment 521808View attachment 521809View attachment 521810View attachment 521811View attachment 521812And some modes done. Moved the tongue box back after relocating the spare tire to the rear. Bought a smittybilt bumper and tire carrier. Had a bracket welded to use the trailers trailer hitch and the two recovery points. Also modified the jack brackets to work with the bumper. Propane tank mounted on a power tank bracket. Also Friday missed up most of the electrical. The ac charger for the lithium ion battery works great. Still need to work out n the solar panel when I get home.

Nice. Did you add support for the front of the tent to keep it from sagging?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles