U.S. alternative to Seitz top hinged windows

Abitibi

Explorer
There you go, the mystery has been solved, hahaha! And now I have an excuse to roadtrip to Colorado to test them out :)

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Ramdough

Adventurer
The risk with altitude is that as the ambient pressure drops with altitude, the gas inside the window wants to equalize by expanding or venting. This will either break glass or the seal between the panes. The spacers (usually aluminum) have tiny hole in them that lead to a desiccant that helps keep the gas dry between the panes. Once the seal to the outside is compromised, the desiccant is used up and the window starts to condense between the glass making the windows fog up from within.

There are companies that claim to have solved this issue, but they all claim that the technique is proprietary.

My hunch is that the panes are sealed with a compliant sealer and the panes are not fully clamped so they can expand or they use a bladder of some sort to pressure compensate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

greygoos123

It was not a sales pitch. i am not associated with any company whatsoever. I was just trying to be helpful and have been a member here for quite some time.

sg1

Adventurer
It was not a sales pitch. i am not associated with any company whatsoever. I was just trying to be helpful and have been a member here for quite some time.
I just spent several months at altitudes between 3500 and 5000 m (11.000 to 15.000 ft) in SA. I had no issues with my Dometic windows nor did I meet any other Overlander who had issues no matter who made his windows. I agree however that the Dometic windows are poor quality especially the bug screens.

downhill

Adventurer

Fair enough, but the link you posted would NOT be helpful. Dometic window division (Seitz) does not support the North American market. You will get nothing but stone walling. There is zero support for their window products here either. A truly helpful link is this one: www.ternoverland.com Their products are much better quality, and their service is top notch. The Tern windows do have a pressure equalization valve as well.

Ramdough

Adventurer
Here's a few more I just took. Still need to stain/varnish the inside wood to protect them but small detail :)

It's hard to tell from previous pictures but the L angle frame goes outside. The T angle frame goes inside so that it also acts as a window stopper. Both frame parts overlap to create a good seal.

Let me know if you're looking for something else...

Cheers
David
b2e61faefd5318f531b06247f3ae7fc6.jpg
7884dd92a63d30976a9b514904a270dd.jpg
d692c530147e48c64a914e1d6c025ff1.jpg
d6786dccb3e03613252bd816f460c5a3.jpg
f90e4196ed8e080dc22f7d8a1e1f1550.jpg
7f1079bb6fd08f4c52351ce9c5fd84da.jpg

Had some time to think more about it.

Have you had the window open when it is really windy? Any concern of wind slamming the window shut or damaging anything?

Abitibi

Explorer
I can't see this happening. The slides are fairly tight and require a person to shut the windows. Plus if it would be that windy I doubt I'd keep the windows that wide open...

If it was an issue for me I could easily add a lock mechanism to keep the windows ajar.

I've had them on for a couple months now and my only regret was not building them sooner!

Cheers
David

Ramdough

Adventurer
I can't see this happening. The slides are fairly tight and require a person to shut the windows. Plus if it would be that windy I doubt I'd keep the windows that wide open...

If it was an issue for me I could easily add a lock mechanism to keep the windows ajar.

I've had them on for a couple months now and my only regret was not building them sooner!

Cheers
David

Does your glass have any feature to deal with altitude? Anything special? How Mitch elevation change have you done?

That feature is usually advertised/emphasized by the big manufacturers.

Thanks

Abitibi

Explorer
Hi Randough

It's been discussed a few posts back in the thread but basically nothing special and I've only been up to 4000 feet so far.

Cheers

Ramdough

Adventurer
Sanity check question?

Background....

So, on a whim I searched R values for windows.

A single pane glass is around R-1

A double pane is around R-2

A triple pane is around R-3

Then you get special coatings and argon gas fills to push them up even higher. R-5 is pretty good with coatings and argon.

I then searched window glass thickness. Standard windows are 3/32” to 1/8”.

Then I looked at what glass windows are offered for campers. My guess is that camper glass is probably not the top end argon filled coated glass.

So we are looking at around maybe R-2.

If one 1/8” glass is around R-1 and two 1/8” glass with air in between is around R-2...... why deal with pressure issues at altitude at all and just get thicker glass? Sounds like you are getting R8/inch.... by this logic, one 1/4” glass is about as good as a standard double pane air filled window.

Thoughts?

Maybe the tables online seam wrong? I did find them multiple places from government sites. Maybe those are poorly made minimums.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

downhill

Adventurer
I think that looking at the thermal transmission numbers is probably a better measure than R value. Glass is a poor choice if insulating value is a concern. Acrylic is 4x to 5x lower thermal transmission than glass. Even one pane of acrylic will beat any glass scheme you can come up with. Double pane acrylic is as good as it gets.

Coachgeo

Explorer
I think that looking at the thermal transmission numbers is probably a better measure than R value. Glass is a poor choice if insulating value is a concern. Acrylic is 4x to 5x lower thermal transmission than glass. Even one pane of acrylic will beat any glass scheme you can come up with. Double pane acrylic is as good as it gets.
welllllll... I don't know..... a small camera and a monitor inside to look at will end up with significantly more Rvalue and less issue with thermal transmission when one take into account the same square footage as any window you compare it with. Purchase price and installing a cam and monitor probably turns out significantly cheaper too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles