Research/ Experience &Concern about Trailer Manufacturer Response

waveone

I would really like to learn more about these trailer businesses that everyone seems to think are out there that “should”... in air quotes... be able to deliver a perfect all aluminum or composite unit for $40k. I just ran some simple estimates, and I’m guessing that you would have to start with 12-15 million in working capital and crank out 300 trailers per year ( more than 1 per working day ) to hit that price point. At that point, you get zero customization. Even at $120k, it feels like a damn near impossible business model.

Good luck finding it.

GkraneTx already touched on the salient points addressing the errors in your thinking but I've got a few more to add. First your calculations are far from accurate- from top to bottom. Second there is little to no customization in this market just added features. Customization is one off design or implementation that are not typical to the design and function of a manufacturer's product. Which is fine because such customization creates a great deal of additional issues that can affect their business model.

Third $120K is well above what some of the most rugged, feature packed off road Camper-Trailer/Caravans sell for here and in Oz. As Gkrane stated, clearly you have not seen the Conqueror UEV 490 which is marketed here in the US, or the plethora of teardrops loaded with features and,...... aluminum framed. All those units sell for under the whimsical figure of $120k by a divisor of about 3 or so. Imagine that.

Yet I've found none that meet all of my requirements except the Conqueror. Even it misses few things. Not the least of which is interior finish, perhaps another two feet of space and so forth. It is also at the top of the price point for a 12 ' trailer that will appeal to only a niche w/ in a niche. However in all fairness it is not built for luxury but durability and performing a specific a job, which it does well.

Bottom line- if you want to pay 10's of thousands for something other than what you really want, and settle for less quality just because you perceive it is not there, knock yourself out. On the other hand, do not ridicule others with nonsensical rambling about how their desire or preference is not possible and therefore unreasonable.

No luck is needed. What you stated is "damn near impossible" is actually quite common.

EDIT: Why Is it in threads such as these , certain people feel compelled to question the thinking and justification of how others wish to spend their money or meet a reasonable desire? Waxing Rhetorical - of course...

Last edited:

GkraneTX

I just received this from Lindsey at Teton X after I told her thanks but I was looking for an aluminum substructure in the cabin of the trailer that I plan on purchasing.

We do have an aluminum sub structure. There is an interior frame in 2x2 aluminum that supports the roof, the awning etc. Is that at all helpful? Happy to provide more detailed information if you're interested.

I have asked her for pictures when they are available. She also said they have a new integrated A/C unit coming to the hybrid in 2 weeks and will send me photos of both the substructure and A/C when available. I am very hopeful now, as I can surely deal with walls that are wood supported by an aluminum frame. To say the least I am somewhat excited.

GkraneTX

Also, Lindsay from Teton X told me she saw this thread and is following it with great interest. She is very helpful so please lets mind our manners. She is happy to assist anyone with any questions they may have. You can email her at lindsay@tetonx.com.

dstock

Explorer
We stopped and talked with Kyle and Lindsay at ExpoWest. I'm sure we chatted with them for at least 45 mins, and not just about about the Teton X. Great couple, great conversation, and the Teton X has lots of smart features that impressed me. It was very obvious how much thought they put into these trailers and I'll be looking forward to seeing how the Teton X progresses.

waveone

It will be interesting to see how TetonX addresses this issue. I for one would be interested in their trailer if the frame is a steel/ aluminum tubing. Overkill has a great looking camper as well but I believe skin is a composite. Another consideration of mine, though I'm no sold is fiberglass. It can be used for structural purposes just not certain a to how it would hold up to trail beating.

In any case trying to find a full size trailer camper for off road here in the US is a beating.

bob949

It will be interesting to see how TetonX addresses this issue. I for one would be interested in their trailer if the frame is a steel/ aluminum tubing. Overkill has a great looking camper as well but I believe skin is a composite. Another consideration of mine, though I'm no sold is fiberglass. It can be used for structural purposes just not certain a to how it would hold up to trail beating.

In any case trying to find a full size trailer camper for off road here in the US is a beating.

Overkill campers use walls that are a honeycomb composite.

shade

Interesting thread.

You've mentioned some overseas options, and there are some very nice ones available. Considering the amount you're willing to spend to get what you want, have you compiled an accurate estimate of what it would cost to import a new or used trailer? Just curious.

waveone

Interesting thread.

You've mentioned some overseas options, and there are some very nice ones available. Considering the amount you're willing to spend to get what you want, have you compiled an accurate estimate of what it would cost to import a new or used trailer? Just curious.

Only in cursory form. MY thought is it would be prohibitive not to mention a hassle. Depending on Manufacturer much of the wiring would require bringing into compliance with the US codes. Prior to that Customs is a point of concern. The trailer could sit in customs for up to 6 months. Who knows what they might do to it there.

shade

Only in cursory form. MY thought is it would be prohibitive not to mention a hassle. Depending on Manufacturer much of the wiring would require bringing into compliance with the US codes. Prior to that Customs is a point of concern. The trailer could sit in customs for up to 6 months. Who knows what they might do to it there.
Maybe so. I've seen Kimberley Kampers in North America, so it can been done. I can understand wanting to avoid going that route for a number of reasons, but if it could realistically get you closer to what you want, it might be worth the trouble.

Grassland

While I don't believe it will tick enough of your boxes, particularly AC, off road robustness, and business model, i have been excited by Trailmarker outdoors.
I require a trailer that can can stand up in, has storage space, a space to eat and sleep, room for a fridge etc. And that can handle fire service roads and the like, not required to do hard core off roading. Basically something that isn't going to instantly fall apart like the Forest River or Thor stuff.
Something 12-14' long, 6-7 feet wide. The weird size between large trailers, and tear drops, that doesnt jive with the large pavement princess mainstreamers, or the compact off road stuff.

Pros: composite walls without wood, aluminium frame, large list of build options, reasonable pricing (at least I think so)
Cons: newer outfit, not hard core off road (torsion axle standard, small tires) lacking options for fridge and AC from factory etc. Also cons: Im canadian and my dollar is worth 74 cents US right now, so buying anything from the USA hurts.

dreadlocks

those are pretty cool looking trailers @Grassland

you'd be surprised what these torsion axles can do off road, alot better than leafs + shocks IMO.. and as you said your not doing hard core offroading, you dont need springs or bags.. Ive drug my torsion axle over a few back country passes early in the season when it was literally crawling all the way and it did great, so nice not having everything bouncing around over sharp rocks.. tires look plenty beefy for fire roads on that, you could always slap MT's on em if you want bulletproof sidewalls.. too big dont get you much unless your crawling over boulders or fording rivers.

GkraneTX

While I don't believe it will tick enough of your boxes, particularly AC, off road robustness, and business model, i have been excited by Trailmarker outdoors.
I require a trailer that can can stand up in, has storage space, a space to eat and sleep, room for a fridge etc. And that can handle fire service roads and the like, not required to do hard core off roading. Basically something that isn't going to instantly fall apart like the Forest River or Thor stuff.
Something 12-14' long, 6-7 feet wide. The weird size between large trailers, and tear drops, that doesnt jive with the large pavement princess mainstreamers, or the compact off road stuff.

Pros: composite walls without wood, aluminium frame, large list of build options, reasonable pricing (at least I think so)
Cons: newer outfit, not hard core off road (torsion axle standard, small tires) lacking options for fridge and AC from factory etc. Also cons: Im canadian and my dollar is worth 74 cents US right now, so buying anything from the USA hurts.

I personally dont need anything hardcore off road and a torsion axle will be fine. Maybe as Trailmarker matures a bit as a company they will offer a solid A/C unit. It appears that the location of most of these builders and their immediate client base dictates that a solid heater in the trailer is a more important option than an A/C unit, which I completely understand. I am very interested to see what type of 12v/110 5000 BTU A/C unit that Teton X is going to go with for their Hybrid trailer as I havent seen anything reliable myself like that yet.

john61ct

Adventurer
it would be prohibitive not to mention a hassle. Depending on Manufacturer much of the wiring would require bringing into compliance with the US codes. Prior to that Customs is a point of concern.
Break them down, import as parts, then reassemble as home-made in a more "lightly" regulated state, easy peasy.

Alloy

I'd look at commercial trailer/body builders. The ones that make trailers for the movie industry.

Companies like TriVan Truck Bodies in Washington will build what you want.

There's Tahoe Trailers up in Canada.

jus passin thru

Adventurer
Another happy Intec Flyer Max owner, they still make them they just changed the name. These are tough little trailers. Mine was 12k out the door including a crappy Dometic refer. I have one of the early ones and the tires would hit the fenders, called them up, no problem we have fixed problem in production but yours needs to be lifted , we’ll send kit and pay to install. Had to kit four days latter and installed it my self, easier than a 300 mi round trip to dealer. Towed it down Camino Del Diablo with ROF. M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles