Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

misubisu

This. ?
There's way more moment
Thanks for your comment Tkhawk.
Can you explain please. It's a class III tongue rated at 3,500 to 6,000 lbs GTW and 600 to 1,000 lbs tongue weight. So, if the tongue weight doesn't exceed 1,000 lbs why would it be an issue?

KeithWells

Another ME chiming in... it is rated for tongue weight where your 25m bolt is, not 15" away. You will need derate it by at least 6 to 1 due to the additional lever arm that you generated with the extension.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

misubisu

Another ME chiming in... it is rated for tongue weight where your 25m bolt is, not 15" away. You will need derate it by at least 6 to 1 due to the additional lever arm that you generated with the extension.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Yes, I see where you are going with this. Can you suggest the best way of overcoming the problem?

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Not that I’m surprised but Chaz at smittybuilt took my 4-6 week eta and added an extra 6-8 weeks to delivery wait. There goes summer :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

misubisu

This. ?
I am a mechanical engineer and from first glance that scares me. There's way more moment on the drop hitch you have your adaptor bolted to than what it is designed for. It might hold but i wouldn't trust it.
I've been doing some checking, and the Ozhitch can be welded. So I am going to weld it directly to a hitch shaft. This will make it solid and I can ensure the length is no longer than it needs to be. Thanks for everyone's feedback. Much appreciated.

jhonn236

Hey guys! First post - long time follower (I did go through the 131 pages, very useful!). I bought an used Scout trailer from a guy in NV a few months ago and loving it so far. I spent the whole weekend at Overland Expo West and the trailer did awesome.

I do not have any mods yet, but I do have a lot in mind! The trailer came with a tuff stuff RTT, tuff stuff annex and Overland Pros 270 awning (PIA to put together, has about a million poles that attach to each other).

I camped next to a guy that also had a Smittybilt (and I believe you are here, since I remember seeing your Cherokee rear bumper quite a few pages ago, and that big ****** metal crossbar underneath yours!) and while talking to him he told me about the reinforcement bars that I needed for mine - so the very next morning I went and talked to the guy at the Smittybilt boot and without any hesitation he gave me a huge (and heavy) box with the reinforcement brackets, so I'll be working on that this weekend. We also talked about the non-functional kitchen drawer (I have the drawer with 4 "walls" so I cannot put anything larger than 1 burner stove) and he hooked me up with the new drawer that has a removable sidewall, I believe its the newer version. Super cool guy and very easy to talk to, he is in the R&D department.

I think it's worth mentioning that they did NOT have one of their newer models on display. He said they redesigned A LOT of it, but they haven't received one yet, so if you are playing the wait game, THEY ARE TOO, lol.

While we were at it, he sold me a XO2 12,000 synthetic winch...

I see there's quite a few of us from the Phoenix area so maybe we can do a Smittybilt Scout camping trip?

Attachments

• 20190518_192935.jpg
    20190518_192935.jpg
    751.1 KB · Views: 68
I actually got one of the first from the new shipment sitting in my work area right now. Still shrink wrapped in the crate. They had a few come in last week and were immediately sent to the customers waiting the longest. Ill have some photos hopefully soon. Trying to catch up for all the lost time spent at expo.

#scouttrailergroup

Hoologan

This. ?
I am a mechanical engineer and from first glance that scares me. There's way more moment on the drop hitch you have your adaptor bolted to than what it is designed for. It might hold but i wouldn't trust it.

Same here but I didn’t want to be the “well I’m an engineer” guy. But yeah, I agree.

10mm is way heavier than I assumed based on the pic (I assumed 3/8” with no frame of reference) but it’s not the plate I’d be worried about, it’s the moment on that single bolt and drop hitch.

I would do as honda250xtitan suggested.

Grak

Hey guys! First post - long time follower (I did go through the 131 pages, very useful!). I bought an used Scout trailer from a guy in NV a few months ago and loving it so far. I spent the whole weekend at Overland Expo West and the trailer did awesome.

I do not have any mods yet, but I do have a lot in mind! The trailer came with a tuff stuff RTT, tuff stuff annex and Overland Pros 270 awning (PIA to put together, has about a million poles that attach to each other).

I camped next to a guy that also had a Smittybilt (and I believe you are here, since I remember seeing your Cherokee rear bumper quite a few pages ago, and that big ****** metal crossbar underneath yours!) and while talking to him he told me about the reinforcement bars that I needed for mine - so the very next morning I went and talked to the guy at the Smittybilt boot and without any hesitation he gave me a huge (and heavy) box with the reinforcement brackets, so I'll be working on that this weekend. We also talked about the non-functional kitchen drawer (I have the drawer with 4 "walls" so I cannot put anything larger than 1 burner stove) and he hooked me up with the new drawer that has a removable sidewall, I believe its the newer version. Super cool guy and very easy to talk to, he is in the R&D department.

I think it's worth mentioning that they did NOT have one of their newer models on display. He said they redesigned A LOT of it, but they haven't received one yet, so if you are playing the wait game, THEY ARE TOO, lol.

While we were at it, he sold me a XO2 12,000 synthetic winch...

I see there's quite a few of us from the Phoenix area so maybe we can do a Smittybilt Scout camping trip?

Nice job I've been eyeballing the trailer too, may very well get one. Shame that big awning is a PIA, I thought I wanted to get that. I'm on that Jeep site as well, LMK if you want to hit up Bulldog Canyon or something (bring the trailer for me to perv on) ;)

jhonn236

Nice job I've been eyeballing the trailer too, may very well get one. Shame that big awning is a PIA, I thought I wanted to get that. I'm on that Jeep site as well, LMK if you want to hit up Bulldog Canyon or something (bring the trailer for me to perv on) ;)

ha - I recognize your username! I actually talked to the Overland PRO guys at the expo to complain about the million poles and they have a new redesigned version, mine is the old one. The new one has only a handful - and it's even more sturdy than mine... if it helps! He did not want to give me a free upgrade, LOL.

I would bring my trailer, but I still need to get me an offroad hitch like the lock n roll. I still have the regular 2" ball and apparently it's not recommended for off-road abuse according to Smittybilt.

Tkhawk

Adventurer
I've been doing some checking, and the Ozhitch can be welded. So I am going to weld it directly to a hitch shaft. This will make it solid and I can ensure the length is no longer than it needs to be. Thanks for everyone's feedback. Much appreciated.
Great solution!

Keith is correct, it's the extension that causes the problem. Instead of the 1000# being applied 1" from the bend in the hitch you are moving it out about 15". I sketched it up just for future references.517840

honda250xtitan

Same here but I didn’t want to be the “well I’m an engineer” guy. But yeah, I agree.

10mm is way heavier than I assumed based on the pic (I assumed 3/8” with no frame of reference) but it’s not the plate I’d be worried about, it’s the moment on that single bolt and drop hitch.

I would do as honda250xtitan suggested.

yea i'm not an engineer at all (I cutz the grass and blowz the grass off the sidewalks lol) but that just looks like a one solid "g out" away from bending into a u shape or just shearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles