Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Kraxler

Tried out the RTT mattress in the house last night. Could use some mor padding. The 4 in mattress topper I bought is way to thick. Top wouldn't close. Got an anti condensation mat under the mattress now. On top have a double sleeping bag with integrated thin air actress. With the air out top should close and inflated should provide good comfort.516122
Also working on the electrical. Have everything mounted to a sheet of plywood which is attached to the back of. Tonugh box. Have. 100ah lithium battery that indeed to install. Then some wires for the ARB fridge and lights.

Still trying to figure out the stupidest way of doing on board water. Already have an instant water heater. Also contemplating the move of the spare to the back of trailer.

thardin68

The stock jack scares me too lol.
And me as well. I have blocks I carry for high lift jack as well as leveling. I am also thinking that when I install the Ark750 (sitting in garage) that I will add a stock style attachment to the other side and carry the stock jack around only for emergencies. That stock jokey wheel (if you are crazy enough to use it for that) is an accident waiting to happen under any real life trail experience.

Catalanbull

Fishes, I see you mounted a roofrack. How did you attach it? I have a SB Defender roofrack I’m considering moving onto the Scout.

jojackc

At full height it's 15.75 in from top of deck to top of cross bar. When full down there's about 4to 5 in from top of deck to top of cross bar. Looks like the look ft is a total of 10 in. One person can raise or lower the top. I have the Smittybuilt XL RTT. Two people makes it easier just to keep thins even. Not hard work. Up is easier than down. View attachment 516118

Did you buy or make those mounts that the tent attaches to the rail with? The ones that came with my tent/trailer are really cheesy pieces of scrap metal. I like yours.

FISHES

Fishes, I see you mounted a roofrack. How did you attach it? I have a SB Defender roofrack I’m considering moving onto the Scout.

That's a Surco rack that I bought from Amazon. I took off all the rails, and mounted it directly onto the deck of the trailer. (drilled holes and bolted it down). I never intended to remove it or take it off. The storage space that I have is great for the sleeping bags and blankets (I keep them in a weatherproof bag) as well as other quick-need stuff like clothing/toiletries. It's worked out very well and happy with the results.

I had thought about putting rubberized mats under it - but I think that would just hold moisture. So far - no issues whatsoever.

Kraxler

Did you buy or make those mounts that the tent attaches to the rail with? The ones that came with my tent/trailer are really cheesy pieces of scrap metal. I like yours.
They came with mine. I got 2 different types. A flat metal pice and the u shaped ones. I don't remember which came with the trailer and which with the tent, although I think the u shaped came with the tent. I just emailed smittybilt a photo of the u shaped ones and asked for some mor, which they sent for free.

OregonJKU

At full height it's 15.75 in from top of deck to top of cross bar. When full down there's about 4to 5 in from top of deck to top of cross bar. Looks like the look ft is a total of 10 in. One person can raise or lower the top. I have the Smittybuilt XL RTT. Two people makes it easier just to keep thins even. Not hard work. Up is easier than down. View attachment 516118
Thank you. We may need to look I to look into it.

Kraxler

My cooker modifications...
Two things that puzzled me; Why they have a lock on the cooker drawer when it's inside a locked door. The drawer lock takes up so much useful space. Why the cooker is designed to go in the wrong way around.
So, I changed both or those things.
  • I cut holes in the right of the drawer to access the gas level knobs.
  • I mounted the cooker in solid with wing nuts, so it can be removed for cleaning.
  • I attache velcro straps to keep the lid closed and stop transit rattling.
  • I removed the lock off the drawer and fitted a plate over the hole.
  • I attached quick release latch to hold the drawer in place while travelling.
I'm happy with the way it turned out.
I do have to buy a longer gas hose, as the one that came with the cooker is way too short to reach the gas bottle.

The cat always sleeps in the front of the Jeep when I leave the door open!
The latch you use for the kitchen drawer, where did you get it? Model number, part number, store? Thanks.

honda250xtitan

For you guys thinking about adding water tanks under the trailer, spend the extra time to come up with an easy way to fully drain, fill, clean the tank. Sitting under the trailer prepping is such a pain. I love having the tank low and in between the wheels but man in the middle of summer in Phx, it's the worst to get ready. Mine isn't a smittybuilt trailer, but i made a steel frame for the tank to sit inside of, used some overkill 1/8" plate i had laying around as skid plates for the front and bottom. back side is protected by the axle tube.

honda250xtitan

which pots and pans ?? I absolutely HATE the ones I'm using! 'cmon, show us a link!!

haha, click my post, it'll take you to the other guy's post and in his pic you can see them. I forgot the name, REI sells them though. non stick, heat up insanely quick, super easy to clean.

jojackc

They came with mine. I got 2 different types. A flat metal pice and the u shaped ones. I don't remember which came with the trailer and which with the tent, although I think the u shaped came with the tent. I just emailed smittybilt a photo of the u shaped ones and asked for some mor, which they sent for free.

Ahh so 4wheelparts put my rig together. They used the flat metal pieces. Who did you email at smittybilt to get the U shaped ones?

Grak

For you guys thinking about adding water tanks under the trailer, spend the extra time to come up with an easy way to fully drain, fill, clean the tank. Sitting under the trailer prepping is such a pain. I love having the tank low and in between the wheels but man in the middle of summer in Phx, it's the worst to get ready. Mine isn't a smittybuilt trailer, but i made a steel frame for the tank to sit inside of, used some overkill 1/8" plate i had laying around as skid plates for the front and bottom. back side is protected by the axle tube.

How would you do it differently?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles